TFSI 2.0 190 mpg real world driving

Redders81

Reaction score
Evening appologies if this thread already exists . Took my car out for a weekend away thought I would share my mpg. Firstly it's a cracking engine with plenty of power on tap.
Driving in economy D
My journey consisted of motorways on the way with averaged 38mpg over 150 miles and the return journey 43mpg driving between 60 and 70 mph on the return. more than happy with the economy. Too early to say for domestic travel but I was lucky to see between 20-25 at the moment. Still running it in not excededing 2000 revs oftern

Evening appologies if this thread already exists . Took my car out for a weekend away thought I would share my mpg. Firstly it's a cracking engine with plenty of power on tap.
Driving in economy D
My journey consisted of motorways on the way with averaged 38mpg over 150 miles and the return journey 43mpg driving between 60 and 70 mph on the return. more than happy with the economy. Too early to say for domestic travel but I was lucky to see between 20-25 at the moment. Still running it in not excededing 2000 revs oftern

I’ve had mine since October 2016 and have done about 12k miles. My average (over a mix of motorway and urban driving) is bang on 35mpg. I always leave mine in dynamic as I prefer the throttle response and heavier steering.

Agree it’s a cracking engine and you don’t see too many around.

I'm still under 1,000 miles and that's probably 70% town. The long term figure is 25mpg, though on journeys with mostly dual carriageway I do get high 30's for the trip. This is certainly better than the 2.0 tfsi in my last car and a lovely combination of car and engine.

30mpg urban and up to 47 on a run from the south coast to leeds. I am not obsessed with mpg anyway and with the new testing standards coming out we'll 'hopefully' see manufacturers figures nearer real world. https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/new-official-fuel-consumption-and-co2-tests-explained/
To put the mpg into perspective, my normally aspirated 2.0l engine struggled to reach 22mpg and it's performance was wanting compared to the engine in my Audi. With the turbo engines of old mpg figures could drop as low as into single figures...

This is pretty typical of mine on a decent run. Actually did 1mpg better on a long run from Huntingdon to Gloucester a while back. General running around is mid 30s this time of year, a bit better in the warmer weather. It's definitely improved with mileage, even though I've not done that many. I don't use economy or 'intelligent coasting', I find theyre actually detrimental to consumption as well as the driving experience. I'm very happy for such a quick car!

Attachments

• F390C074-14B5-4DFE-97C2-E74342C5EBCE.jpeg
    F390C074-14B5-4DFE-97C2-E74342C5EBCE.jpeg
    886.5 KB · Views: 201
long term average 38mpg, best 41mpg worst 33mpg ( i have a spread sheet lol)
had a few journeys where the display has shown 45+
with the drive select set at auto.

i know the car doesn't like the cold weather!!

28.5 mpg long term on mine but only 1600 miles so far, a mixture of roads but nothing more than say 15 miles worth.

To add perspective my 330d did similar until it had about 5000 miles under its belt and of all of the petrol cars I’ve had in the past, the worst was 19mpg and best 24.

The 2.0 TFSI is great in fuel and I’m heavy footed.

Slightly off topic (apologies) but what are your guys impression of this engine in terms of refinement, power and tone/noise?

My local dealer only had a 190 TDI or an S4 to test drive, so have yet to experience the 190 TFSI.

Good to hear economy seems reasonable.

Nice.

Is power progressive through the rev range or does it tail off near the red line?

Would you say the engine gets harsh near the top end?

I've not had a chance to find out as I've behaved/had little chance to find out during the first 1,000 miles.

Slightly off topic (apologies) but what are your guys impression of this engine in terms of refinement, power and tone/noise?

My local dealer only had a 190 TDI or an S4 to test drive, so have yet to experience the 190 TFSI.

Good to hear economy seems reasonable.
Refined, quiet, enough power for my sort of driving and makes a nice enough noise if you lift her skirts, pardon my pun.
Excellent car for a motorway...

Reactions: DohNut
Does this engine require running in and, if so, how long for?

Thanks

All engines require a degree of care in the first couple of thousand miles. No ragging it when cold, don't let it labour or run at high rpm for extended periods.
I ran mine in sport mode as I felt the box was changing to early and holding a too higher gear...

Reactions: Nickfrog
Absolutely delighted with the power, refinement and economy of mine. I came from a 1.4 tfsi COD A3 which is a very capable power unit. Imagine that and then some and you will have an idea of the 2.0 190 tfsi. It won’t please everybody, but I’m a fan of turbo petrol engines so it suits me down to the ground.

Reactions: cuke2u
Around 44mpg again yesterdays drive up to Suffolk, not driving economically either..

Reactions: DohNut
I got 38.7 yesterday over 37 mixed miles with an average speed of only 24...........and I'd call that amazingly economical!

I’ve had mid-40s mpg on long motorway cruises. You can’t complain at that, particularly when you consider the comfort you’re enjoying at the same time. I’m driving a hire car in NZ at the moment and really missing my A4!

I'm getting mid to high 30s after 3000 miles. Mixed roads and long/short journeys.

Sounds amazing on mpg. I am even wondering if there is much of a delta vs the 1.4 on some particular journey profiles like a quiet 50 miles A-road trip ?

Sounds amazing on mpg. I am even wondering if there is much of a delta vs the 1.4 on some particular journey profiles like a quiet 50 miles A-road trip ?

1.4 auto should average 40+ with ease so long as you're not trying to drive it as if it's made for the Nürburgring.. Most I've ever done is 52mpg and that was at cruise control 60mph on the m5

I’d bet in the real world the 2.0 will be at least as good mpg as the 1.4.

Not sure the diesels are redundant. They will be a good 10mpg better, maybe more like for like driving.

Reactions: Nickfrog
I’d bet in the real world the 2.0 will be at least as good mpg as the 1.4.

Not sure the diesels are redundant. They will be a good 10mpg better, maybe more like for like driving.

I totally depends on mileage profile. The diesels take ages to warm up so for short trips the delta will be tiny, if any. Same for 1.4 vs 2.0, there will be situations where they will be matched but more often then not the 1.4 will be more economical (the difference in weight alone will help it), the official mpg is a good benchmark obviously and it reflects the 1.4's better frugality, despite the absolute figures being irrelevant in isolation.

Diesel might still be redundant even with a 10mpg advantage considering the large delta in price and/or lease rates.

Reactions: Jsmills
Like you say depends on the mileage vs cost ratio but they do still work out for lots of people, particularly as they have more real world poke.. We do 50k a year between 2 cars. Having said that one of them is a A4 1.4 and I’ve got an S4 coming.

Also depends how you drive, give a diesel a spirited run to town and back and do the same in a petrol and watch a mpg cavern open between them.