Text messages with iPhone

Chris4410

Reaction score
Hey all,

I picked my S3 saloon on Friday and it's great, but I was just wondering if anyone has the text messages function working on their tech pack with an iPhone?

I have tried setting it up but it doesn't seem to work, just wondering if this another thing Apple lock down and I am going to need and android phone to use this functionality.

Cheers,
Chris

Ensure you've gone back into MMI settings on car and enabled "Connect Messages" or something (can't recall!). Also ensure on your iPhone under the Bluetooth connection you've selected "Show Notifications".

Read out load with iPhone ? I don't believe that. Had mine for 10 months and zippo on the readout new msg notification is all I get.

Press your voice control button after you get the notification, and say "read new message".

I have a feeling the latest iOS update has stopped text messages from working with the MMI because I have stopped being able to view them in my car

Perhaps.... For some reason I have never been able to. Granted I usually am only getting iMessages so maybe that is why.

I am on iOS 9.3, getting envelope and beep notification, and also able to get the MMI to read both text and iMessages out loud.

I am on iOS 9.3, getting envelope and beep notification, and also able to get the MMI to read both text and iMessages out loud.
Damn! What am I not doing correctly I wonder. Back to the post above and will try again.

I don't get it. I just went through and checked the settings again. Phone is set to show notifications in the Bluetooth setting. MMI has messages envelope visible. Does nothing. Never has. Ugh.

Reactions: phil1824
I was able to get it to work. The issue is I didn't have notifications showing on the lock screen due to me having an Apple Watch. Works now.

Reactions: phil1824
Doesn't work on my iPhone 6s with 9.3 and was absolutely fine with my 5s and 8

Odd. Might just need to restart the phone and see if that sorts it

the Audi website (USA) has a designated website just for this topic, showing which phones are compatible and what there limits are. iphone 6...you can only read, but not respond. (yeah I know, the Apple iPhone apparently is not very well know for Audi to sync their car with a 3rd world cellular phone)
actually I found a way to respond, but it's by pushing the talk button on the steering wheel, however "Siri" on the car audio will question what you're saying because she thinks you're talking to the car. Therefore say what you wanna type, then exit the speak to talk asap, or she'll try and do something else. Yes, it's weird, but the only way I can get the car to respond by text.

Well, there are two different notification settings in the iPhone and having enabled both I am now getting text messages again

Ive had my S3 5 months now & didnt even realise I could receive SMS notifications!
Im sure I'd seen an Audi phone compatibility chart online & SMS was greyed out for my phone (iphone 5s)
So, Ive turned notifications on (phone's bluetooth settings) & also enable message connect in the cars bluetooth settings, sent myself some texts (from another phone) & Voila! It works. Bit dissapointed with the poxy beep ringtone though!
Edit.
Just found the chart, it was email thats unavailable on a 5s

Last edited:
Well, there are two different notification settings in the iPhone and having enabled both I am now getting text messages again
Hello,
Can you please say which settings in your phone you changed? I'm having the same problem and turned on all notifications, but I'm still having an issue.
Thanks

Does the Audi system allow for the text messages to be read out or are they only visible on the MMI screen?

Does the Audi system allow for the text messages to be read out or are they only visible on the MMI screen?

It reads them out and will display them on the MMI below a certain speed unless you have VIM and have that restriction removed.

Reactions: AL_B and pburv