Testing the Water to sell my S3 2002

davsin

Reaction score
I have come to the realization that fixing my 2002 S3 is probably to much for my current health. The car hasn't wanted for anything since I bought it 9 years ago, but it failed the MOT in November 2020, It had a leak in the PAS feed pipe to the rack, Rust on the jacking points and an advisory on the rear brake pipes. I have been hoping to get the car back on the road and have sourced new outer sills (included) from Slovenia but I am struggling to find a mechanic to take on the job to replace/weld the sills, I also cannot get a mobile mechanic (due to my local area) to remove the PAS pipe to have it recrimped where the leak is. Brake Pipes are easy. My problem is that I could have done all this myself if my hands were ok But I am waiting for a operation and even after it will be months recovery.
Good Points are I have replacement door blades (also included), car has a custom 2.75 inch Stainless Steel Exhaust with sports Cat, ECU tuned to 280bhp, just before it failed the MOT I fitted Bi xenon headlamps with new ballasts and replaced the fitting screws with stainless steel clips and screws (as the others had rusted solid). Black leather interior, S3 GUB number plate included with the car and less than 1000 miles on the 4 tires, also had new discs and pads just before the MOT. Car is a real flier, never fails to bring a smile, ECU was tuned for speed and response rather than top speed, from memory it has 117000 on the clock on a 2002 car, so relatively low miles on a BAM engine.

Can anyone give me a idea of what I could ask for the car in its current state, gutted in having to take this decision.

Attachments

• RUPR2225.JPG
    RUPR2225.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 107
  • SGJT5045.JPEG
    SGJT5045.JPEG
    372.2 KB · Views: 71
  • XXAW7179.JPEG
    XXAW7179.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: MPH
Hey bud. Sorry to see your needing to sell the car. Based on its current state with those sorts of repairs needed for the MOT, from the few pictures you’ve posted the paint work looks ok apart from the bonnet. I’d like to think you’d expect between £2000-£2500 for it. With the work done and it looking in its best condition, you would probably be looking at closer to £4500 in the current market. These cars are slowly creeping up in value as there seems to be less and less of them around, my gut feeling is these will eventually value more than the 8P S3’s in the next couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ian W, davsin and Sandra
If you think about it, whats the cost of the exhaust, headlights, number plate and 4 newish tyres all add up to? Then you think that estimate (realistic or not) sounds cheap.
AND more to the point , swapping all the above for standard stuff (excl tyres) would the car estimate be worth any less?

So Going forward, getting the PAS pipe removed and repaired. Car is going to have the Sills inspected/replaced/welded etc and new brake pipes front to back. Then either buy a bonnet or respray and touch up the bumpers and drivers wing has a little bubbling so will get that fixed. Just discovered that all this time it has sat fully insured, nearly 18 months, so can't wait to get it back on the road for a blast then sell it.

Whats that all going to cost you Vs cost selling it as is Vs cost selling it once all work complete, with the known work carried out.

calculations.....calculations...