Test drove the A35 AMG yesterday

Guy at work recently bought an A35 saloon. Way too much going on interior wise and once again, questionable materials and quality.
I’d even take a prefacelift S3 saloon over it!

I think that sounds a bit of badge snobbery. The seats are very comfortable, and hold you tight. The dash is a step up from the last Fiesta. The steering wheel is nicely placed, and feels good to hold.

Yes, OK, the plastics may not be quite as nice as our S3's. The interior design may not be quite as nice as our S3's, but you have to remember the car costs a lot less than the equivalent Audi.

And if you now look inside the new A1, & Q3, there are lots of cheap black shiny plastic everywhere. Audi have gone cheap with their new cars. The next A3 will follow suit.

I'd take the interior of the Fiesta over the A1 every day.

I'm really taken with the Fiesta ST. I'd like a well specced ST-2. But I'm also blown away by the X3 M40i, which TBH is the better suited car for what we need. If she had an office job and needed a car to get to work and back, I'd be pushing for us to get them both. Ideal solution. But she's a self employed Painter and decorator, so has her own van.
Nowt to do with badge snobbery my Mrs has a new fiesta ST line X and after almost 20k miles its wearing badly especially the paint and exterior plastics around the B pillar posts.. look dreadful as does the steering wheel Chamois leather covering, my Mrs car wasn't cheap either it doesn't even have a dimming rear view mirror and has ancient headlight tech...aye halogen bulbs .....****** dreadful ones at that.....dont like the A1 but l would have one over a fiesta anyday and then at least l would see where l was driving at night....test driving a car and living with one are 2 different things

LEDs available on Fiesta if your eyesight is failing @jassyo06 !

BTW, my A3 steering wheel was in poor condition after 2 years. Horrible, shiny and slippy.

Last edited:
@jassyo06 . What's wrong with the paint and what colour is it?

Audi paint is very good, way better than MINI. No issues with my Race Red ST after 2k miles, but good to know what to look out for.

@jassyo06 . What's wrong with the paint and what colour is it?

Audi paint is very good, way better than MINI. No issues with my Race Red ST after 2k miles, but good to know what to look out for.
Paint is extremely thin and most of all soft as a babies first....worst areas being the bonnet, and wing mirrors they now look as if there is no clear coat left on them,l have tried my best to look after it but av given up the ghost with it full stop such a nice colour as well

Yeah they tick the boxes apart from the new shape is out so it's an old model already. Still like the JCW and the RF :)

Was taking about a used for the budget...under £25k

BTW, my A3 steering wheel was in poor condition after 2 years. Horrible, shiny and slippy.

Steering wheel just needed a decent clean to get rid of shininess

Paint is extremely thin and most of all soft as a babies first....worst areas being the bonnet, and wing mirrors they now look as if there is no clear coat left on them,l have tried my best to look after it but av given up the ghost with it full stop such a nice colour as well

If it is that bad, I'd be looking at it being faulty!

Steering wheel just needed a decent clean to get rid of shininess

I did try looking after it.

Any tips on what's best for a steering wheel to keep it good?

Nowt to do with badge snobbery my Mrs has a new fiesta ST line X and after almost 20k miles its wearing badly especially the paint and exterior plastics around the B pillar posts.. look dreadful as does the steering wheel Chamois leather covering, my Mrs car wasn't cheap either it doesn't even have a dimming rear view mirror and has ancient headlight tech...aye halogen bulbs .....****** dreadful ones at that.....dont like the A1 but l would have one over a fiesta anyday and then at least l would see where l was driving at night....test driving a car and living with one are 2 different things

Surely if the paint is as bad as you say, then you'll be able to claim under warranty? LED headlights are available, so maybe an option you should have ticked?

But any car from any manufacturer can have issued. You might just be the unlucky one that this has happened too. I had all sorts of issues with a MK2 Clio 172 years back. I seamed to be the only one on the forums at the time who had them all. I was the unlucky one !

But again, the Fiesta won't be a tech heavy as the German brands, as the car is priced differently.

But I certainly do agree living with a car is completely different to having a test drive for a few hours. Most dealers are only interested in giving you a test drive on their chosen route, which last about 10-20 minutes. Unless it's the car you `want` in your head, how are you supposed to decide how to spend the second biggest purchase after your house, based on a 10 minute drive?

Reactions: Jassyo06

Car was expensive for what was after adding rear camera and the larger display/navigation mate never mind led lights which should be standard anyway

Car was expensive for what was after adding rear camera and the larger display/navigation mate never mind led lights which should be standard anyway

But you still need to add those to Audi cars, and LED light's aren't standard on most Audi's either. And I bet those options, for the same stuff, are more expensive with Audi too.

Look at Ferrari? Think they charge something silly like £1500 for Apple car-play. Same tech, different price to suit the different audience.

Reactions: S32B
I would keep our current t 2018 fiesta over the a1 any day. Everything about the fiesta is far better than the Audi and so much fun to drive. The a1 is just expensive plastic..

Reactions: S32B
test driving a car and living with one are 2 different things
Very true mate, a mate of mine had a Mini for a 48 hour test drive. The first day he said it was all smiles and fun, the second day they starting noticing things that didn't suit their needs. A 10 min test isn't enough.

Was taking about a used for the budget...under £25k
Yeah I know mate, but I'd probably be looking to keep it 4-5 years, so I'd rather have something current ;)

But I certainly do agree living with a car is completely different to having a test drive for a few hours. Most dealers are only interested in giving you a test drive on their chosen route, which last about 10-20 minutes. Unless it's the car you `want` in your head, how are you supposed to decide how to spend the second biggest purchase after your house, based on a 10 minute drive?
Exactly what happened when I took the ST3 for a test drive. 100 yards from the showroom to the motorway, left onto the motorway, up two junction, off the motorway, around the roundabout, back on the motorway!!! I said are we going back exactly the same route? He said yes, so I asked to come off the junction before so I could at least drive it on some A & B roads. Any car can drive at 70mph in a straight line, that's not a test drive! :D

The a1 is just expensive plastic..
And probably a lot more expensive to service/repair.

Yeah, but you won't see GTI, R models of the new golf until at least the end of 2020.

But have you seen the interior of the new Golf? talk about swathes of very cheap looking shiny black plastic. Looks ****** awful. Hardly any button or switches, so it's mostly through the infotainment system. Which to me is dangerous.

If I was after a Golf GTI or R, I'd be looking to get a cracking deal of a dealer for the remaining stock they need to shift. Get a good enough deal, and it'll take away any depreciation against the next MK8 GTI, which (as suggested) won't be out for a while yet. That'll have no discounts for the first 6-12 months, and any second hand cars will be almost list. Supply and demand.

Reactions: TYb and NevMan
But have you seen the interior of the new Golf? talk about swathes of very cheap looking shiny black plastic. Looks ****** awful. Hardly any button or switches, so it's mostly through the infotainment system. Which to me is dangerous.

If I was after a Golf GTI or R, I'd be looking to get a cracking deal of a dealer for the remaining stock they need to shift. Get a good enough deal, and it'll take away any depreciation against the next MK8 GTI, which (as suggested) won't be out for a while yet. That'll have no discounts for the first 6-12 months, and any second hand cars will be almost list. Supply and demand.

Agree, watched a carwow of the golf 8 this morning. Not loving the interior

Reactions: FBF01 and wab172uk
I couldn't wait for the mk8 Golf and am glad of it, similar to the A35 with the double iPad's strapped to your dash ?
Obviously these are the future over physical clocks and also no knobs but my OCD kicks in with the fingermarks so whats it going to be like when they are all controlled by these, will we have to put silk gloves on whilst driving.

Reactions: pburv
I would keep our current t 2018 fiesta over the a1 any day. Everything about the fiesta is far better than the Audi and so much fun to drive. The a1 is just expensive plastic..
My mum has a 67 plate 1-4 Tfsi Black Edition in Daytona Grey with 18"s built like a tank it is as the paint,and it's a fast fun car to drive ok the MMI is oldish but all MMI age quickly these days but that A1 will still be driving when the Mrs fiesta is in the scrappy
My sister has the brand new Focus ST line junk....junk dreadful build quality

But you still need to add those to Audi cars, and LED light's aren't standard on most Audi's either. And I bet those options, for the same stuff, are more expensive with Audi too.

Look at Ferrari? Think they charge something silly like £1500 for Apple car-play. Same tech, different price to suit the different audience.

Led headlights are standard fit on the Audi A1 as are led taillights if a Audi hasn't got led headlights then it's got xenon headlights most middle of range models in the fiesta car class have led lights

My mum has a 67 plate 1-4 Tfsi Black Edition in Daytona Grey with 18"s built like a tank it is as the paint,and it's a fast fun car to drive ok the MMI is oldish but all MMI age quickly these days but that A1 will still be driving when the Mrs fiesta is in the scrappy
My sister has the brand new Focus ST line junk....junk dreadful build quality
I mentioned about the ST3 Fiesta to a mate of mine, he had a word with a mate of his who is the service manager for his local Ford dealership, he said Fords are crap, they are always getting new cars coming back with problems, Fix Or Repair Daily was his nickname for them lol.

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and Jassyo06
I mentioned about the ST3 Fiesta to a mate of mine, he had a word with a mate of his who is the service manager for his local Ford dealership, he said Fords are ****, they are always getting new cars coming back with problems, Fix Or Repair Daily was his nickname for them lol.
My cousin is a master tech at a local garage and one of a handful able to work on the new Ford GT, and he's looking at leaving ford. He's bored of the job, as virtually every car has a "recall" or common fault at least so he spends most of his day doing repetitive tasks.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and S32B
Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u
Agreed, if you look at the number of warranty recalls Audi are less reliable...

Reactions: KenL
I mentioned about the ST3 Fiesta to a mate of mine, he had a word with a mate of his who is the service manager for his local Ford dealership, he said Fords are ****, they are always getting new cars coming back with problems, Fix Or Repair Daily was his nickname for them lol.

TBF that can be said of a lot of manufacturers.

When My S3 engine blew, I was dealing with a guy in the customer service dept. Anyway we got chatting, as I was saying I can't belive the engine blew with only 32,000 miles on the clock. He mentioned that he used to work for Toyota, and came to Audi within the last 12 months. He said he thought Audi cars were reliable, as that's the perceived reputation.

Said that at Toyota, they'd get one or two cars a week coming in for warranty work. Since he's been at Audi, it's several a day, every day.

Then I could talk about my experience with Renault! My Clio sport 172 is to date (of owning cars for 28 years) the car that needed to visit the dealership for warranty work the most. Truly horrible car. Squeaked, rattled, and generally fell to bits. But funds meant I had to grit my teeth for 18 months before I could affords to get rid of it.

Second worse car was my MK7 Golf GTI performance. Was that bad I sold it within 9 months of ownership. In those 9 months, the dealer had it for about 4 of them.

Of the manufacturers I've owned, Subaru has been the most reliable. Given it was the car mostly thrashed, that says something.

Reactions: KenL, pburv, NevMan and 1 other person

Yeah I don't like the interior in the MK8 either, in my opinion only BMW have gotten the balance right. Their interiors have all the tech without looking over the top. Mercedes have gone way too far, and Audi in some models haven't gone far enough.

I am really curious to see what the new A3/S3 looks like, it could be similar to the Golf MK8.

Reactions: KenL, NevMan and wab172uk
What a load of nonsense.

This survey rather heresay disputes this "fact"
https://www.whatcar.com/news/2019-what-car-reliability-survey/n20042

TBF that can be said of a lot of manufacturers.

When My S3 engine blew, I was dealing with a guy in the customer service dept. Anyway we got chatting, as I was saying I can't belive the engine blew with only 32,000 miles on the clock. He mentioned that he used to work for Toyota, and came to Audi within the last 12 months. He said he thought Audi cars were reliable, as that's the perceived reputation.

Said that at Toyota, they'd get one or two cars a week coming in for warranty work. Since he's been at Audi, it's several a day, every day.

Then I could talk about my experience with Renault! My Clio sport 172 is to date (of owning cars for 28 years) the car that needed to visit the dealership for warranty work the most. Truly horrible car. Squeaked, rattled, and generally fell to bits. But funds meant I had to grit my teeth for 18 months before I could affords to get rid of it.

Second worse car was my MK7 Golf GTI performance. Was that bad I sold it within 9 months of ownership. In those 9 months, the dealer had it for about 4 of them.

Of the manufacturers I've owned, Subaru has been the most reliable. Given it was the car mostly thrashed, that says something.

Like has already been said, any car can go wrong. I've worked for a car company for 23 years that makes millions of cars and vans worldwide each year. I never believe any polls or graphs I see in the papers/forums etc. as I see the true figures/facts direct from the factories and I see directly how they are thrown together...yes thrown together :p I also see some of the repairs that are done before they even leave the factory!!! It's all about volume, if 3% of the UK population has a problem with a Ford, Vauxhall, VW, it's a lot greater than 3% of the same population having a problem with a Subaru for instance, so obviously it looks like more people are complaining about Ford, Vauxhall, VW, as there are more owners of those makes!

Pay your money take your chances :) I worry about my A5 being out of warranty (not that I'm keeping it) but the amount of silly things on it that could potentially go wrong and cost the next owner a lot of money! The one that springs to mind which is a ":wtf: WHY?" moment: Driving home from work, going down the motorway and it's belting down with rain, spray everywhere and no cars in front or at the side of me....bing bing bing the alert starts going off!!! I look down only to see on the dash "Limited visibility" wtf I know it is as I'm looking out of the window at it! Why do I need the car to tell me that? :blink: Another One, a little icon comes up to tell me to take my foot off the accelerator because there is a roundabout ahead! Yeah I can see that!!!

My next car I intend to keep for 4-5 years, so I'm tempted just to get one that has the least amount of things that can go potentially wrong on it....probably a Japanese one :)

Reactions: wab172uk, NevMan, KenL and 1 other person