Test driving a 170 next week. Need some DPF advice.

scoss

Reaction score
The car has 30k on an 2012 plate. My main issue is potentially buying the car and driving back home on the M5 the DPF light comes on. My question is, if there is a DPF issue would the light be present from the moment I start the test drive?

Thanks

If there is a fault present then the eml will be on. also it may be on if there have been faults logged previously and the fault repaired and the eml has not been reset. 30k on a '12 plated car shouldn't have a dpf issue unless the car has only ever been used for very short journeys and the engine has never really got up to temperature. a good run on the M5 should give it a good clear out. You can also add additives like low ash 2 stroke oil or redex for diesels to keep injectors and dpf fairly problem free. Also a good run on a motorway with engine warmed once a week or so will help keep the dpf cleaner than just town driving at stop/start speeds. Do you know anybody with vcds that could go with you to look at the car and run a scan before you buy just to check through and give it a clean bill of health ?

In terms of my own driving i drive 80-100 miles each day on the motorway so in theory the DPF should not be an issue for me.
As for VCDS is this essentially ECU diagnostics? i personally don't know anybody who has this kit. Are there people on the forums that offer this service?

cheers

with that kind of mileage you should be fine. vcds is dealer equivalent diagnostics and can check all the different modules on your car and pick up any problems you might have. There are lots of people in this forum that use it. just go to the top of the page and click on the tab marked vcds map and see if there is anyone close to you that could help you out for some beer tokens. just out of interest where are you ?

A 2012 should not have DPF issues, they are better than the early ones from 2007. Doing a decent mileage each day as you will be is how a DERV should be used. You should be giving it a good long test drive, not just round the block.

with that kind of mileage you should be fine. vcds is dealer equivalent diagnostics and can check all the different modules on your car and pick up any problems you might have. There are lots of people in this forum that use it. just go to the top of the page and click on the tab marked vcds map and see if there is anyone close to you that could help you out for some beer tokens. just out of interest where are you ?

Well i'm in Bristol but it appears every ****** car which has potential is Manchester based!

Cars in Manchester are always dodgy lol.

Reactions: Mujnu
Cars in Manchester are always dodgy lol.

I have to agree with Bramley lol that's what I've found too. However, up north have cheaper cars compared to down south, but down south cars tend to be in better condition.

well ive just had a look on google maps and its actually just west of Bolton if that's any better. I have found plenty of white A3's black ed down my way. hardly any black which is what i am after.

In terms of my own driving i drive 80-100 miles each day on the motorway so in theory the DPF should not be an issue for me.
As for VCDS is this essentially ECU diagnostics? i personally don't know anybody who has this kit. Are there people on the forums that offer this service?

cheers

If the car is in Manchester, i can run vcds scan for you if you like :)

If the car is in Manchester, i can run vcds scan for you if you like :)

It's just outside Bolton mate. How long does this test take? Would a garage be happy for you to run the test? Surprised they wouldn't do such a thing themselves.

It's just outside Bolton mate. How long does this test take? Would a garage be happy for you to run the test? Surprised they wouldn't do such a thing themselves.

A full scan takes about five minutes, checking exactly how full the dpf is takes a little bit longer. They should be if they haven't got anything to hide I reckon

A full scan takes about five minutes, checking exactly how full the dpf is takes a little bit longer. They should be if they haven't got anything to hide I reckon

Ok mate, well I potentially might be coming up on Saturday to test drive it. I'll PM you.

What's prompted the concern? Even with a more "troublesome" PD170, if the light comes on a steady motorway trip will usually get it off, but a CR170 at this mileage should give no issues at all, even with more town biased driving.

What's prompted the concern? Even with a more "troublesome" PD170, if the light comes on a steady motorway trip will usually get it off, but a CR170 at this mileage should give no issues at all, even with more town biased driving.

Yeah I'm sure you're right. I just don't want to spend 15-16k and have any issues. My kind of worst nightmare. Plus the fiance would kill me!

If the DPF turned out to be faulty...Wouldn't a faulty DPF be covered by your warranty anyway ?

What is the garage ? I'm not a million miles from Bolton !