Test drive of the A3 done and. . . . .

Stink

Reaction score
TBH i think this one is a bit of a lemon!

It was a great drive, and a awesome place to be, had a good bit of poke to it did take it down a stretch of ring-road nothing extreme but it pulled very well!

Bad points . . .There are a few!

Got to the garage and its always inspires confidence when they have to jump start the car!

ive been doing my homework and im aware of various problems that come with these engines and one being the cylinder head and various threads ive read have said a tale tale sign of this is white smoke on start up . . . .Que white smoke . . . ahh there it is!
lipsrsealed.gif

so matey boy goes to fetch the can of diesel to fill it up a bit, checking the tyres and its like a bag of ****** all-sorts! and the rear passenger side was on the limit.

another problem ive been made aware of is the air con fans staying on after the car has stopped leading to a drain battery (mmm ring anybells?) we go into the office look at the service history and the vosa sight etc told him my concerns to which he tells me they will change the water pump as they didn't do it when they did the cambelt and would also give a yrs guarantee i said id think it over check a few things blah blah

as i leave to walk to my car (in the office for at least 10-15mins) go past the A3 and whats that i hear? the fans still going like the clappers!

So Correct me if im wrong I think this isnt the one for me, but I defo want one! :rock:

Yeah no further with this one! Glad I read up on all these points as it would of just been 7k for a ball ache of problems but its defo given me a bench mark. And again it was a lovely car and now I just need to find the right one :)

as long as you know what your looking for mate you should find a nice just be very carefull tho there is so many dogs out there these days

Cheers dude I'm defo going to do a good bit of searching :)

Agree with N8 and Paddy !

When you do find another vehicle ask the dealer for a diagnostic scan print out with the current (ish ) date on it. At least that will give you an overall view of the state of the car.

well done for using your instinkts ( cant spell ) the first a3 i drove was a 1.9 sportback and was a dog. loud as hell and smoked like a teen mum off jerery kayle.

what a3 you looking for ?

whist we are on the subject

can i put mine up although i have sent my v5 off to change my plate ?

( sorry for jacking your post)

Well Im Looking ideally for 140 TDI wouldn't mind a 170 but think they might be a bit out of my budget and insurance might be a bit more, not too familiar with the models seen 8L and 8P being used so assume that is the different mk's been a VW man for the last 5 yrs

budget wise max of 7k just got to look around and try to find the right one! :)

cheers for the advice re the diagnostic scan as well!

mines a 140 but i want 8k for it (as advised by the audi sport peeps)

if you keep looking you will find what you want try and get 06 or above (the b or c serises engin)

Get it done mate, assuming this is Stink aka Joe?

lol i am alway misreading posts. now i wont go on the fourm on my phone.

ohhh sorry thought it was like a saying. like ohh no dont thouch that its a joe ( bag of spanners )

ohhh sorry thought it was like a saying. like ohh no dont thouch that its a joe ( bag of spanners )

hahah well its been like that pretty much for the last 18 months with my mk2!! :laugh:

The fun tales of old Oakie ;) glad you came round to the sensible side mate

so thats the new slang then ?

ohh no lad its a joe

The fun tales of old Oakie ;) glad you came round to the sensible side mate

Well still looking around at the mo found another tidy looking one down in Weston, Think im going to have to try a few before i find the right one! lol

Yeah, I had to go to Southampton to get mine at the right price/spec only thing I couldn't get was the right colour (wanted black or grey) :(

well tbh not too bothered about colour just the right spec at the right price! :)

youll find the right one in the end but whatever you do dont rush into anything and if it dont feel right,just walk away.

cant believe how many problems audi have with their cars these days whats going on with a once pretty bullet proof car?

youll find the right one in the end but whatever you do dont rush into anything and if it dont feel right,just walk away.

cant believe how many problems audi have with their cars these days whats going on with a once pretty bullet proof car?

Way way way overly complicated. some of it imposed on them with ever tightening legislation and some self inflicted like the latest adjustable everything via the DIS. most of which is just a pile of things waiting to go wrong and totally pointless.