Test Drive Dealer Experience

ACC

Reaction score
Had an interesting experience at an Audi dealer today and was interested if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

I went in to enquire about a new RS3
and was told they wouldn’t get one in for me to test drive unless I placed an order and then they could get one within 2 weeks.

I appreciate they are rare at the moment but who would buy a ~£60k car without being able to test drive it first. Plus they had a previous gen on the forecourt but they also didn’t offer that for a test drive.

I didn’t think this was great customer service…

Thougts?

Had an interesting experience at an Audi dealer today and was interested if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

and was told they wouldn’t get one in for me to test drive unless I placed an order and then they could get one within 2 weeks.

I appreciate they are rare at the moment but who would buy a ~£60k car without being able to test drive it first. Plus they had a previous gen on the forecourt but they also didn’t offer that for a test drive.

Thougts?

Typical arrogance from Audi.

Be more surprised if you said they went out of their way to accommodate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simon, Waq1 and ACC
Typical arrogance from Audi.

Be more surprised if you said they went out of their way to accommodate you.

Our order books are full for the next 12 months, why should we have a demo car sitting here when we can sell them 15k over list, If you dont want one without a demo drive theres the door mate FO :)

Reactions: NevMan, 3vans and ACC
Our order books are full for the next 12 months, why should we have a demo car sitting here when we can sell them 15k over list, If you dont want one without a demo drive theres the door mate FO :)
That’s ridiculous, sounds like you work for a car dealer. Wouldn’t buy from you with a customer attitude like that. Found another dealer now who’s much more helpful and they have a car available for test drives… they will likely get my business now rather than the first dealer

• Haha
Reactions: NevMan, Mike.46, 3vans and 1 other person
I did 2 test drive , no problem.at all.i give all.documents and have car for 1h on my own

But

1 dealer was interested to.sell.me car
2. Dealer ignore me and took.week.to.send me.estimate and price.for my s3
3. Dealer i asked said they only give to serious people.since i got.new.s3 i can have test drive with rs3 haha

Reactions: ACC
That’s ridiculous, sounds like you work for a car dealer. Wouldn’t buy from you with a customer attitude like that. Found another dealer now who’s much more helpful and they have a car available for test drives… they will likely get my business now rather than the first dealer
He wasn’t saying that in first person, he was referring to the attitude Audi dealerships have at the moment.

Reactions: ACC
He was been sarcastic

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06, ACC and 1 other person
Sorry think I got the wrong end of the stick in my reply below!

Reactions: Mike.46
The way Dealerships are run at the moment.....you'll come across this attitude more often ....flip side is how many folks test drive a car then go and buy the actual car they've test driven ....? .and yes the hype Audi know this car sells itself ...Porsche are no different according to my son.... poor management full of arrogance
I was told by son when I enquired about a test drive at Glasgow Audi =only if your buying one so l didn't bother because l had already ordered from a different dealer in Brighton

• Angry
Reactions: 8YARWY and Snake Pliskin
well I did test drive and want trade in my s3 and get order new rs3 and they complete ignore me so think it's all depends

The way Dealerships are run at the moment.....you'll come across this attitude more often ....flip side is how many folks test drive a car then go and buy the actual car they've test driven ....? .and yes the hype Audi know this car sells itself ...Porsche are no different according to my son.... poor management full of arrogance
I was told by son when I enquired about a test drive at Glasgow Audi =only if your buying one so l didn't bother because l had already ordered from a different dealer in Brighton
Porsche shafted me TWICE, worst of the lot imho

Thougts?

Who would buy a 60k car without a test drive… 90% of people on the forum with an order in.

• Haha
Reactions: AndyVWR, Rs31981 and Terminator x
Who would buy a 60k car without a test drive… 90% of people on the forum with an order in.

I have an agreement with my dealer, no demo and I can have my deposit back, however, they said they would have a demo car, but I think they keep selling them :(

I have an agreement with my dealer, no demo and I can have my deposit back, however, they said they would have a demo car, but I think they keep selling them :(
Surely they have to give you your deposit back if you cancel? I cancelled mine and got full deposit back no questions! Not sure if all dealers are the same though

Reactions: Mike.46
I think I must of been really lucky. I looked online on a Sunday afternoon and my local dealer had one. Called spoke to a sales person and explained that I would be in town on the Monday morning and could I pop in and have a look. I really just expected to look and maybe sit in the car and to have to come back another day for a test drive.

On arrival I looked at the car, had a sit in it and she explained that it had been sold. She told me that if I wanted a test she could check with her manager and that he would have to come with me. 5 mins later we are heading out. Great service from my dealer through the buying process so far.

I’m pretty sure they got to give you your deposit back regardless. I put £500 and can cancel up until the last minute and get my money back. Could be wrong but I’m sure that’s pretty standard

Reactions: Alan Oliver
I’m pretty sure they got to give you your deposit back regardless. I put £500 and can cancel up until the last minute and get my money back. Could be wrong but I’m sure that’s pretty standard

I’ve been told it’s refundable up until the issue of a build date.

Way things are I’ll be cancelling soon anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06
Don't require a test drive of a RS3 8Y ain't any different in real world terms than the previous 8v FL unless you kick the ar$e oot of it in gimmick diff mode how many times are folks gonna do that on here "YOUTUBERS".....every Audi l have ever driven all fundamentally drive the same to the average driver....My TTS was a hoot to drive great fun but basically drove the same as every other performance Audi that l have driven previously

Reactions: seventeenapg
I think I must of been really lucky. I looked online on a Sunday afternoon and my local dealer had one. Called spoke to a sales person and explained that I would be in town on the Monday morning and could I pop in and have a look. I really just expected to look and maybe sit in the car and to have to come back another day for a test drive.

On arrival I looked at the car, had a sit in it and she explained that it had been sold. She told me that if I wanted a test she could check with her manager and that he would have to come with me. 5 mins later we are heading out. Great service from my dealer through the buying process so far.

So you got to test drive a car that had been sold ?

• Wow
Reactions: ACC and Mr Freeze
agreed ... that’s why I can’t quite believe it & must be missing something surely

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
This isn't an agreement its standard practice. You only have to say you don't like the colour and get a full refund. Your buying it without seeing the car, they can't withhold your deposit if you want to pull out.

Reactions: garethdj

Having previously worked in the Trade using a "sold" (as defined by a deposit placed on it) car for a test drive was a definite no-no. If an accident had occurred, No matter who is at fault a dealership would be on a "Sticky Wicket" in that situation.

It’s what I was told. Maybe someone had shown an interest in it, I’m not sure if it was ‘actually sold’. It was there demo car which I think they can’t sell until it’s so old or done so many miles.
Mate what a dealer does with it's cars doesn't reflect on you at all

Reactions: NevMan, Kevmoz and Snake Pliskin
It’s what I was told. Maybe someone had shown an interest in it, I’m not sure if it was ‘actually sold’. It was there demo car which I think they can’t sell until it’s so old or done so many miles.

yes as Jassy says plus ...
That could be the reasoning if the car was a pre-sold demo & the buyer knows more miles & drives will go on the car - fair enough then.

Reactions: NevMan and Kevmoz
I personally have had an awful experience with my local Audi dealer. Went to enquire about chopping in my 69 plate Rs3. 1 week has passed and no valuation was received. The salesman asked me to obtain my settlement figure there and then as it's not financed with them (he thought this was an alien concept!!) Still haven't test-driven the new Rs3 and to be honest I'm not entirely convinced I want one now especially from them!!

Don't require a test drive of a RS3 8Y ain't any different in real world terms than the previous 8v FL unless you kick the ar$e oot of it in gimmick diff mode how many times are folks gonna do that on here "YOUTUBERS".....every Audi l have ever driven all fundamentally drive the same to the average driver....My TTS was a hoot to drive great fun but basically drove the same as every other performance Audi that l have driven previously
I think you'll get a shock when you finally drive one if that's your opinion to be honest. Every past 8V driver I've spoken to has said that it's completely different feeling and personally I could feel the diff shuffling things about at completely legal speeds on back roads as well as around roundabouts and things. Even my S4 with the sports diff didn't feel like it was putting as much power to the rear as the 8Y did.

Reactions: NevMan, RS03??? and Ross1
I think you'll get a shock when you finally drive one if that's your opinion to be honest. Every past 8V driver I've spoken to has said that it's completely different feeling and personally I could feel the diff shuffling things about at completely legal speeds on back roads as well as around roundabouts and things. Even my S4 with the sports diff didn't feel like it was putting as much power to the rear as the 8Y did.
Agree, I had a 8v-OPF and my demo drive (accompanied) was last week. More engaging on the senses eyes, ears and drivability. Cannot wait. Only had 120 on the clock, so sensible drive, has lot of potential, more than the OPF.

Reactions: NevMan and Daggerit
I personally have had an awful experience with my local Audi dealer. Went to enquire about chopping in my 69 plate Rs3. 1 week has passed and no valuation was received. The salesman asked me to obtain my settlement figure there and then as it's not financed with them (he thought this was an alien concept!!) Still haven't test-driven the new Rs3 and to be honest I'm not entirely convinced I want one now especially from them!!
You are better off with WBAC, they were 2K more than Audi.

It wouldn't be difficult for it to drive better than 8v fl ....
Don't get shocked anymore lol if it drives better than my TTS did I will be shocked

So finally got into the RS3 on Friday. Not impressed, don't like the vents on the dash in my opinion they've been stuck on as an afterthought!

Got an offer on my Rs3, £38k literally laughed in the salesman's face!

Reactions: Daggerit
So finally got into the RS3 on Friday. Not impressed, don't like the vents on the dash in my opinion they've been stuck on as an afterthought!

Got an offer on my Rs3, £38k literally laughed in the salesman's face!
I don't know what the going rate would be for yours or what WBAC would be offering.

Did you actually drive the 8Y or just sit in it?