1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Model 3 Performance

oliquattro Jun 20, 2019

1. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

The RHD Model 3 hasn’t even been released yet.

The Model 3 is the game changer.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Just like laughing at your one sided rants mate. And yes, I LOVE putting fuel in my petrol guzzling 3L straight six that makes an awful petrol engine sound.

As for the Swiss, the splinters are still stuck in their ar*es from sitting on the fence. No wonder they are going for Tesla’s

CHEZ, BD55SOL, T-800 and 1 other person like this.
  4. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

I'm sure the EV technology will improve for me, the main issues surround batteries/power supply.
    • Batttery life expectancy
    • Battery cost of replacement for older EV
    • The process/environmental impact of battery raw materials acquisition/production
    • End of life battery disposal/recyclability
    • Renewable sources of electricity
    • Charging infrastructure, there are many people without a driveway and cannot charge at home.
    Unfortunately, it's not just a point of how good a particular EV is - I am a big fan of Tesla. There's a much bigger picture to this issue which needs improvement before I'll take the plunge. I'm sure we'll get there, I fear not soon enough.

Richard46 and Snake Pliskin like this.
  5. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

What is frustrating is people blowing electric cars trumpets when they have zero first hand experience.
    There are plenty of reports on the net of the REAL downfalls on electric cars.
    But for some reason, of the 0.9% who have given them a go, a % of those are crusaders on a mission to convert the rest of us.
    They are not there yet for me and I prefer a performance petrol car for lots of reasons - cost / proven tech / reliability / SOUND / ease of fuelling etc.
    There is another factor for me too .. I like to buy my cars and there is no way I would buy a Tesla as I have no idea what the car would be worth in 5 years.
    The battery could be knackered, who knows what it would cost to replace etc - and I just plain & simple don't like the bland minimalist styling.
    As a company car with zero BIK now I can get why company car drivers would get one - but I am sure that won't last long.
    Once the Government sees a decline in company car tax and less in fuel revenue, company car drivers will soon be paying the same for an electric car as they were a diesel or petrol - we all know that in inevitable.

X3man and BD55SOL like this.
  6. simonali

simonali Well-Known Member Audi RSQ3 5 Cylinder

Switzerland is a very rich country. I expect most of those people buying Teslas are doing it because of tax breaks. They also probably have another car or two. A proper one...

Snake Pliskin and X3man like this.
  7. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

^^This. The OP's S4 thread waxed lyrical about the S4, then that all changed. Look forward to the Tesla thread, as I am sure it will be all sunshine and rosy...to start with.

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  8. simonali

The situation we're in now won't last long. If the government can somehow bolster the electrical grid enough to support all these BEVs they want us to buy and we go out and buy them like the sheep we are then they're still going to want their taxes paid to them.

That means the ones that hold out and keep their old car will see VED and fuel duty rocket and BEV drivers will probably be charged (pardon the pun!) by the mile because their new smarter, self driving computer on wheels will be constantly reporting where it's been. The chargers will be smarter, too and will be phoning in how many kilowatts they've just pumped into a car every time they're connected to one. So the government are going to know everywhere you've been and how much power you used doing it and will be taxing you accordingly...

X3man, terminator x and Snake Pliskin like this.
  9. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing Supporter

They make a very useful penknife do the Swiss.
    Just saying

X3man likes this.
  10. simonali

Scissors... Oot!

11. simonali

For clarification...

CHEZ likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

There's also the fact that the national grid shits its pants during the ad break in Corrie, as millions of people rush to make a brew. Is it up to the task of supporting the charging of so many EV's?

X3man likes this.
  14. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

Hehe wild debate

Yeah S4 was good at first. Now overheats and unlocks itself without warning. Audi can’t fix it. Disappointingly slow. I mean what else do you want me to say? It’s going back and I’m replacing it with a Tesla hahah I get 160 miles out of a tank LMAO. Yeah sounds great though.

15. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

I still can’t understand why Model 3 is the most in-demand car in the world right now.

16. simonali

Make yer mind up. Thought you were in love?

17. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

PMSL I’m being sarcastic

Of course I know why everyone wants one, they’re awesome!!

18. CHEZ

Pics or yours hasn't happened

19. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

I know it’s not happened I want it right now. No idea when car is coming and no idea when I can even test drive one. Keep calling Tesla but they’re not giving any info now. I don’t have to pay any money until after I’ve got car delivered so that’s good.

20. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

Listen I know you’re butthurt about buying an underpowered thirsty heavy car that makes absolutely no sense, but being nasty to Swiss people (and the whole of Europe) for buying more Model 3 Teslas than any other car is bang out of order.

PMSL have a good weekend guys

21. Snake Pliskin

How can you say they are so good ... when you haven’t even test driven one ?

& you’re telling me that not one of the staff at the Tesla Dealership doesn’t have a model 3 company car you could try ?

If that is what they are saying well that’s great customer service from day 1 ... good luck with ownership !

CHEZ likes this.
  22. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

Nope, no RHD Model 3 for test drive yet. They have a LHD in Knutsford but wouldn’t let me drive it. And no the staff don’t swoon around in brand new Model 3 cars which aren’t available to public yet.

Oh I’m just going off facts, figures and virtually every positive YouTube review and the fact they have outsold EVERY car in Europe.

Must be alright, no?

23. A4B9

A4B9 Active Member Team Moonlight TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro

You only have to check autotrader to find that out. Here’s one from 2014 going for £45k https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903165949960

24. Snake Pliskin

25. DaveW

Wonder what sort of battery life is left in those 5 year old units? Be hellishly expensive to replace when the time comes.

26. Snake Pliskin

Not to mention 5 year old battery tech.
    Next gen solid state batteries might be a different story, but won’t be available till the end of the next decade so 10 years away.

DaveW likes this.
  27. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

Wouldn’t bother, the new Model 3 and Model Y use the new battery and motor architecture. Totally different.

That’s one of the main reason I didn’t buy a Model S or X. Older tech.

Oh and the £1000 a month PMSL.

But believe me when I say they will destroy every petrol car. Most impressive performance I’ve ever experienced.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 3:17 PM
  28. oliquattro

oliquattro Active Member

All new Teslas come with 8 year battery and motor warranty. That great, if Tesla are still around in 8 years ;)

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/vehicle-warranty

You can say same about any old car. How much is a turbo or a dual clutch to replace? Timing chain, gearbox etc? There is way more to go wrong in an ICE car over time.

29. Snake Pliskin

You know what ... I’ve just been out in my car this afternoon with the windows down & not even driving fast ... just hearing that glorious engine & 5 cylinder note is incredible ... it still puts a smile on my face after 3 years of ownership.

I don’t care how fast accelerating a Tesla is, it’s silent & has zero aural excitement & believe me that FAR outweighs the performance for me. Yeah the RS has loads of power on tap when needed but that soundtrack is always there - from the turn of the key to going through each gear ... its glorious ... I would not give that up in a car for any battery car on this planet.

Speed is not everything but that is Tesla’s one & only ace card.

Oh and it took me 5 minutes to fill up with shell v power today too :icon thumright:

Enjoy your Tesla when / if you get one ... but I’m bored of discussing it now - never mind owning one :)

AndrewW, B5NUT, BD55SOL and 2 others like this.
  30. simonali

tes.jpg

31. simonali

32. A4B9

A4B9 Active Member Team Moonlight TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro

Audi isn’t faring too well in that list either down there in 20th place

33. Avatar

34. simonali

True, but look at the jump in the numbers between 30th and 31st. Apparently more than half the repairs to Tesla cars took more than a week to fix.

35. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

Looks like Tesla engineers should have spent more time on reliability, rather then making their car perform stupid dance moves

36. DaveW

Plus I wonder if the likes of the AA are of any help if your Tesla breaks down?

37. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

38. AndrewW

AndrewW Member

The biggest problem i've had with every EV I've driven is they feel "not quite there yet" - That goes for the cars and the charging infrastructure. I've no doubt I'll end up in an EV one day (probably have no choice at some point...) but just not yet.

I did home (Durham) to Bristol and back a few weeks ago and it did spring to mind how much of a faff on it would have been with an EV with the current charging infrastructure.

Well done the early adopters though - Tech needs investment to progress so by all means go out and buy all the EVs you want.

39. simonali

Tesla 3 has a whoopee cushion mode. I bet that comes in handy...

40. B5NUT

I was reading the Tesla forums, and there was a lot of talk about battery performance & reduce range after firmware updates, and the older the car the worse the range was reduced. I know Tesla warranty their battery for 8 years but from reading the forums some people are seeing a 15-20% reduction in range, but Tesla think this is normal and perfectly acceptable.

People who are buying these cars for the first 3 years are fine, but I fear for cars that are around the 8 year mark as the range would no where near that of the original range, and with the battery packs being so expensive it will just about write the car off.

41. simonali

The Leaf that was on Top Gear was 8 years old and had a range of 30 miles.

42. Snake Pliskin

B5NUT and T-800 like this.
  43. CHEZ

Interesting Tesla fact number 6.
    If your Tesla does conk out and is broken, the AA or the RAC etc can't help you.
    There not licenced to work on them.
    (They will take your money to cover you, but anything above a flat tyre, they are duty bound to call in somebody else)

Interesting Tesla fact number 6b
    It only costs £15 for a major service.
    That's for a pollen filter.
    Everything else they put on top is mark up.
    (Brake pads last ages due to regenerative braking apparently)

True stories

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 5:15 PM