Tesco trolley damage

Stevelolly

Reaction score
Screenshot 2020 03 16 22 35 27 1 1 Gutted , my S3 passenger front door has been damaged by a runaway trolley in Tesco ! Got the whole thing on dashcam as I was inside shopping for one item ! . Annoying thing is the trolley collection guy walked right past the offending trolley around 15 seconds before it came away from the wall and down the slope into my door . There were 3 trolleys there , he took one leaving the other 2 . Contacted Tesco , who appointed an accident management company , but they've rejected it claiming they had taken all the necessary precautions to prevent it . Can't say I agree , firstly if trolleys had the coin or token system you'd get people returning them , if they had a brake on one castor the trolley man could apply it if he couldn't collect it at that time , barrier or curb in place so it couldn't roll straight across the road through the car park . If I could share the video you'd see what I mean , I even parked out the way of other cars , if I hadn't it would never have hit my car .

He might did it on purpose... Best is park btw cars... Never open space.. Tell guy sorry u need to give me money to fix it

Doesn't look like its though the clear coat? A wet sand and polish should fix it. If you want some help doing it drop me a message and I'll walk you though it. Most detailers/body shops should do this for you for a nominal charge. I doubt Tesco will take any responsibility :(

This is why I park on the farrrrr side of car parks.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Mate , I was well out of the way , I couldn't believe how far the trolley travelled in the wind . It hasn't broken the paint but it's left 4 dents , scratches will come off and paintless dent guy has had a go at it but where it is has inner frame braces for hinges and crash bar . Thanks for offer but I know what I'm doing with fine wet & dry and a buffer with some G3

I should probably also explain that I'm a vehicle paint sprayer of 36 years experience , independent and Mercedes Benz . Left the trade 6 years ago to paint Eurofighter Typhoons for the RAF . I can repair this myself no bother , but I'd prefer Tesco to pay for it, plus the facility I work in and equipment isn't the best for painting cars .

Reactions: 123Quattro and OCDaveS4
I should probably also explain that I'm a vehicle paint sprayer of 36 years experience , independent and Mercedes Benz . Left the trade 6 years ago to paint Eurofighter Typhoons for the RAF . I can repair this myself no bother , but I'd prefer Tesco to pay for it, plus the facility I work in and equipment isn't the best for painting cars .

Now those are some skills I would like !! Nice one. Yeah - keep pushing Tesco they might make an ex-gratia payment.

Yeah Tesco will never accept liability but keep on them and you may get a 'goodwill gesture' which may cover it

Yeah Tesco will never accept liability but keep on them and you may get a 'goodwill gesture' which may cover it

they might offer you some toilet roll:wink:
In all seriousness they will avoid any form of liability. There’s big signs that say park at owners risk etc. Keep pushing even write to the ceo saying you did everything possible to park away from busy areas to avoid these things so there’s a bit of negligence involved even if it’s small.

I'd also be mentioning criminal damage if they get difficult..because if its not their fault, then it must be the individuals fault...

View attachment 199291 Gutted , my S3 passenger front door has been damaged by a runaway trolley in Tesco ! Got the whole thing on dashcam as I was inside shopping for one item ! . Annoying thing is the trolley collection guy walked right past the offending trolley around 15 seconds before it came away from the wall and down the slope into my door . There were 3 trolleys there , he took one leaving the other 2 . Contacted Tesco , who appointed an accident management company , but they've rejected it claiming they had taken all the necessary precautions to prevent it . Can't say I agree , firstly if trolleys had the coin or token system you'd get people returning them , if they had a brake on one castor the trolley man could apply it if he couldn't collect it at that time , barrier or curb in place so it couldn't roll straight across the road through the car park . If I could share the video you'd see what I mean , I even parked out the way of other cars , if I hadn't it would never have hit my car .
I'd send an email to the boss of Tesco UK and argue that the trolley collector was negligent in doing his job! If he had collected it as he should it wouldn't have happened. Upload to Youtube and send the boss the video link.

Mr Jason Tarry Managing Director jason.tarry@uk.tesco.com

Reactions: Ron240
My own feeling on this is that you are in a much stronger position than you would normally be because it was a Tesco employee who was actively collecting the trolleys at the time, so surely blame on behalf of the company can be apportioned.
Had it been a member of the public who had touched the trolleys, or indeed simply happened on its own then Tesco would not be liable in any way.
Unsurprisingly you have simply been fobbed of so far, but don't give up!
I will be interested to hear how this develops....

Video loaded to YouTube , watch from 1 minute in . Opinions be great , am I justified in persuing this ? Kind of seems less important this week with everything that's going on , as annoying as it is .

Yeah, badger Tescos' top guys, employee clearly walked passed the offending trolley and was hardly over burdened with what he collected.
Shame you couldn't have contacted the owners of any other vehicles the trolley went on to hit and formed a combined complaint.

You can try badgering Tesco, however, looking at the video, I don’t think you’ll get much joy. :blue:

You can try badgering Tesco, however, looking at the video, I don’t think you’ll get much joy. :blue:
I think that's probably right.

In ordinary times it might well be worth pursuing, but I'd hazard a guess that at the moment Tesco are a bit preoccupied with other things.

Video loaded to YouTube , watch from 1 minute in . Opinions be great , am I justified in persuing this ? Kind of seems less important this week with everything that's going on , as annoying as it is .

Yeah, badger Tescos' top guys, employee clearly walked passed the offending trolley and was hardly over burdened with what he collected.
Shame you couldn't have contacted the owners of any other vehicles the trolley went on to hit and formed a combined complaint.
^^^THIS^^^ if he had done his job properly it wouldn't have happened.

As a car owner I'd be livid. As an employer I wouldn't be happy as the bloke's getting paid to do a job and he has walked past three trolleys. I'd push it.
If anybody out there knows how to and would like to do a bit of "crowd funding" to push for coin deposit trolleys I'd chip a few quid in. They are the norn on the continent, so why not here?

Colin