Terrible turbo chatter/surge

Marshy

Settled in
Reaction score
As the title my S3 has started making this horrible noise every time I lift off the throttle and I hate it.
Been stage 2+ for 4000 miles and never done it.
Had a Revo intake on for 400 miles without the noise but started tonight.
Running Rev G diverter
Anyone any ideas?
I thought maybe the diverter had split but performance seems ok.
I've dropped my Revo map to stock but it's still the same!

I'm surprised its never done it before,my edition does it sounds like all kinds of different creatures my mates say lol

It's only ever done it quiet when pushing on.
This is even light throttle 2700 rpm.
I might try its original Rev D diverter on tomorrow.
It sound knackered when it does it, can't put up with it

Mine with just a stage one map does this when letting off throttle after building some boost normally and 2700rpm. I have a GFB DV+ now and its still the same although if I removed the spring it wouldn't.

I'm gonna try my Rev D tomorrow.
I've lost my flutter and blow off sound when changing gear.
Could it be my dv is stuck?

If you unplug the divertor, which i'd imagine simulates the same as it being stuck.. It sounds like a highly tuned jap skyline if thats what it sounds like

The way it is at the moment I could audition for the fast and the furious

Reactions: grchmason and Compkiler
Can you do a video ? I'm interested to see how loud it is as mines like this after fitting revo intake. I've also recently fitted the Rev g as per our convo.

Haven't been able to do a video as been on 12 hour nightshift
Coming home this morning even going very slow it's bad.
Before I go back out and try it I'm going to change the dv .
If it's still there I'll video it.

Scanned the car with vcds and got this code

I then removed the Rev G and couldn't find anything wrong no splits or tears etc.
I fitted my Rev D but activated it on vcds which worked so then I plugged the Rev G in and activated it with vcds, that also worked but was quite clicky and noisy in operation!
A quick road test and it's back to normal
Annoyed that this Rev G only done less than 4k and only 4 months old.

Marshy mine used to do it all the time before yesterday? Since I had that software reloaded it doesn't do it at all just sounds like a swoosh noise now ? Normal?? That's with gfb. Thinking mines meant to flutter when I release the throttle or not ?

Mines back to whoosh then a lift off blow off.
This is what's it's always done up until yesterday.

That's what mine does now !? Amd did take my dv off and try a rev d then put gfb back on and now just a whoosh?? Strange

My Forge one in re-circ mode - change quality to 1080p HD for a better picture. Its ruddy loud in the car, imagine it from outside it!

Are they meant to do this then !? Mines stopped doing it :(

That's what mine does ..... New Rev g recirc valve and revo open cone filter.

If you think about it, when air is forced from the re-circ valve, whichever valve you have, it's just plumbed into intake near the turbo entrance.
There's no one way valve forcing it down to the turbo, so excess air is blown straight out the end of the intake, hence the chatter noise.

if any of you have tried running without it in re-circ mode and as simply a BOV you'd struggle to notice a difference in performance, so for those who don't like the noise can always plumb the pipe so it's hidden and it's noises somewhere where it won't be so loud, like facing backwards and underneath the car perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alex_Wil

My Forge one in re-circ mode - change quality to 1080p HD for a better picture. Its ruddy loud in the car, imagine it from outside it!

I must say that's fairly tame to the noises mine was making!
I don't get any of that noise anymore (well which can be heard in the car)
Very pleased it's fixed, I had just ordered my H&R anti roll bars the night before so glad I never had a repair bill.

So what makes some cars make this noise and others don't :/ ! ? P.s you will love the h&r anti roll bars ! I have the front and back on mine :) awesome mod

Mine does that when giving it the beans, a little whoosh on normal driving and that flutter noise when giving it the power. Running Revised DV and ITG CAI.

After loads of research it says this noise is caused by boost pressure not being bled off quickly enough,
It goes on to say the diverter isn't opening enough causing boost to be pushed back through the turbo causing stall.
I ran a Rev G and haven't had this noise before.
Different software when mapped seems to highlight it with some being worse than others.
I tried the forge one as shown above and it's terrible for it!

Interesting how mines gone after reloading software?

If your running standard diverter either Rev D or G you shouldn't get the noise shown in mjr901's video.
Keane which map are you running? Also what noise did you have before changing your dv?

I have a custom stage 1 map. Well I just changed the dv as a service/ renew part. Then I decided to get the revo intake.

However I did notice on standard intake after a new dv it sounded louder..... Just thought it was holding boost better so making a louder release noise.

Where I knew I had a problem was when driving on the motorway at 70-80 and lifting off the throttle I always got an air dump noise through the intake.
When my dv was faulty I got terrible surge noise through the car