Terrible radio reception all of a sudden

SRRAE

Reaction score
Recently my car's radio reception has been terrible as in it wont pickup my local radio station and when it does the sound quality is very poor.

Also today my MMI froze. When I turned the car off the radio didn't turn off and none of the controls responded. I had to pull the battery.

What shall I check fist?

It looks like it is probably the antenna amplifier thats gone, but Im strugging to find where it is located on the A4 saloon.

The aerial is apart of the rear window. If I remember rightly the amplifier is on the pillar next to the window in the back.

Is this an issue on AM/FM and DAB, or only DAB?
AM/FM aerial booster is in LHS D pillar, DAB and TV is on RHS D pillar.
This sounds more like a radio module issue I think.

Its just AM/FM radio.

The MMI crashing could be related to it, especially if something is short on the ammplifier.
Is taking the lining off to get to the amplifier easy?

Oh yes, been there, worried but done that! Any guide I've found suggests easing it out at the top and working downwards, then rotating that section of trim downwards from the top towards the front end of the car direction, refitting is exactly the reverse, the trim in my S4 still looks like new after one quick off, fit aerial amplifier, refit trim.

Edit:- thinking more about this, does your car have the aerial in the rear screen only, or does it also have a roof mounted shark's tooth enclosure? If it has the roof mounted one, maybe water has got in there? Temp fitting a cheap stick on (maybe) - or a rod type tied to a seat back head rest, AM/FM aerial and connecting that to the radio might be the quickest way to pin point watch is wrong?

Edit:- thinking more about this, does your car have the aerial in the rear screen only, or does it also have a roof mounted shark's tooth enclosure?

I believe the shark's fin is used for Bluetooth, sat nav and DAB. It's not normally used for the AM/FM.

My DAB reception is awful and I think it happened after my 3 months free access to Audi/Google. Can they be related?