Temporary hold on new Audi S4 Orders!?

The report says may lead to a moderate increase in fuel consumption which surely should mean moderate increase in performance :)

Reactions: R.A.G and Splodgeit
Probably not. I suspect the moderate increase will be in the published figures for fuel economy as will the CO2 readings be more realistic. They are really under the spotlight after dieselgate and are under pressure, as are all car makers to publish figures that apply in the real world . Rather than some best case scenario in a lab.

to improve “comfort and spontaneity”
Hmm spontaneity?? Could this be to address the 'hesitation'!?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I wish they'd update the software to sort out the hesitation on the diesels

Reactions: rich_16
Mentions the 2.0l tfsi as well, as it says "being implemented to improve comfort and spontaneity” I wonder if they're trying to reduce lag?

I wonder if it's something that can be implemented on current models as an update depending on whether it's worth it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it's something that can be implemented on current models as an update depending on whether it's worth it or not.

Lets hope so.

Reactions: Daggerit
I guess that as it is only autocar that has reported this, which is unusual in itself, it is either a developing story, a rumour or a non-story. So has any dealership confirmed this?

16/6 and no mention of it being software related and more about option changes. Yes there is a suggestion about the emmisions being changed but we were still able to order these models last month, the configurator still works as well. Maybe I am playing devil's advocate but if these models had suddenly been taken out of the market then the motoring media would be all over it like a rash given the recent emissions conspiracy...

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Keef
Yeah nearly a month ago but the Facebook page translation does hint of something affecting the German market due to restrictions. S4 and S5 still don't seem to be available on the German Audi web site

Last edited:
Reactions: mpjalexander
I've e-mailed my dealer to see if they know anything and if this affects my order placed last month.

My dealer has advised my order is safe and proceeding as normal.

Apparently orders have stopped due to all allocations being sold out?

Fwiw I spoke with my dealer today and they said that they've spoken with Audi UK and there are no delays being reported.

They also said they are still taking orders. Not sure how high up the person the spoke with, but they weren't concerned.

I'm going to keep a ****** close eye on this now. Thanks for heads up. The hesitation is bad like but if there's something worse underlying then current owners need to contacted asap. Especially if it affects resale value and GFV figures.

I came from a Freelander 2, forums full of complaints about hesitation, I had two and neither of them hesitated?
My S4 doesn't hesitate either?
With the FL2 I could recreate a sort of hesitancy, by keeping my foot on the brake and then going quickly to accelerate, or slowing on the brake and then accelerating, hesitation could be felt, I put this down to the fact when braking the engine torque is cut (on FL2) and going back to accelerate the engine had to wake up and go, not sure if braking in the S4 has a similar effect?

I think peoples personal perception makes a difference. To some a little lag matters to some it doesn't. Its possible some drive in such a way that they compensate without being aware

Eithet that or theres a massive variation from car to car. With audi nowadays that might be it.

As we already have a thread on this I think maybe Taztasnic has accidentally posted in the wrong one?

I think peoples personal perception makes a difference. To some a little lag matters to some it doesn't. Its possible some drive in such a way that they compensate without being aware

Eithet that or theres a massive variation from car to car. With audi nowadays that might be it.

Coming from B8.5 S tronic to B9 ZF there is a very noticeable hesitation in first. At junctions and roundabouts, it's unworkable sometimes. And rather frightening. Hence using sport now. But, you shouldn't have to. So, in short, I've adapted my driving style for it.

Doesn't seem as bad for some others and seems even worse in other instances. I remember that issue on the B8.5 btw. Kind of like, a semi-launch, foot off brake and full throttle. Car just slipped and stood still. Haha.

As we already have a thread on this I think maybe Taztasnic has accidentally posted in the wrong one?

My bad. Back on point...

Reactions: cuke2u
I find this forum has multiple threads on many subjects, are they not actively merged to keep it all together? I know from mod experience on another forum its a thankless task though.
I must admit though, I was reading the other threads on the hesitation and have probably posted in the wrong one, prompted by remarks in this thread, my apologies

Reactions: cuke2u
Ok now we have a had a report that a order has been suspended for a 2.0tfsi 190ps, so this is developing news but whether the two are related we still don't know for sure. If it is is this is news to me that the 2.0l petrol engine has a hybrid system as described here: "with Audi’s 2.0-liter TFSI engine, a starter-generator has been fitted in place of a traditional starter motor and while such a mild-hybrid system typically improves fuel economy, Audi says its system actually worsens consumption."

I read a similar article about the RS5 being "sort of" hybrid. But by the same analysis, the B8 is "sort of" hybrid because it has some very basic recuperation tech (allows the alternator voltage to rise during certain low load situations). I suspect that just with the diesel emissions scandal, Audi's marketing has been playing the numbers with the predicted economy of their petrol engines and has been caught out...

I doubt if it is the case that Audi have been caught out as it is they who have changed the software causing this alteration in the mpg and the Co2, quite clearly Audi are, I feel, sticking to the rules with this one. Yes the alternator can be used in this way but the point I was making was about the starter/generator as I am sure my engine has a separate belt driven alternator.

I expect they are being cautious after dieselgate.

I wonder though if that means my 1.4 might move up in the build times a bit...

Reactions: Brandon Williams
So I asked my dealer on the press articles and if this affects my order already placed back in June, their reply was...

I have checked once again with my Sales Manager & Head of Business and they confirm to myself that this is not the case as the worldwide demand for the engines is greater than supply. All current orders are progressing as normal including yours so I would not worry at all J

If you were now coming in to order one then that would be an issue as all worldwide allocation has been used so I wouldn’t be able to even quote an estimated delivery time…..

Not sure what to think really and if my dealer really knows the full truth at this stage, however I'm hoping this is true and it's just down to demand and no issue with my car.

Has anyone else who's car is on order spoken to their dealer on this?

My cancelled S4 was kept on order by the dealer as they wanted it for dealer stock. It was due to be built week commencing July 3rd but has yet to be built. I think some dealers are being creative with the facts.

CLA 45 AMG Shooting brake

Reactions: Riko0073
So I asked my dealer on the press articles and if this affects my order already placed back in June, their reply was...

I have checked once again with my Sales Manager & Head of Business and they confirm to myself that this is not the case as the worldwide demand for the engines is greater than supply. All current orders are progressing as normal including yours so I would not worry at all J

If you were now coming in to order one then that would be an issue as all worldwide allocation has been used so I wouldn’t be able to even quote an estimated delivery time…..

Not sure what to think really and if my dealer really knows the full truth at this stage, however I'm hoping this is true and it's just down to demand and no issue with my car.

Has anyone else who's car is on order spoken to their dealer on this?

It's a plausible answer... I hope it's true too. If I was in charge and wanted to hide some ugly truth from the dealer network\end user then saying that demand is outstripping supply is a safe one.

I've asked my dealer again but not had anything back.

It's odd one.

I noticed a user on here ordered an S4 last week from the same Audi dealer I used and there doesn't seem be an issue.

All I can say is that the media claim the 2.0tfsi engine is a mild hybrid system through a starter/generator be suspect. In all my research of the engine I have never found there to be one reference to this. Also, if sales of these cars were suspended worldwide the surely they'd been a official statement from Audi or some reference on their webside.
When it comes to media 'hacks' I am naturally sceptical about the majority of their stories..

Last edited:
Time will tell I guess and see how my current build date of 21st August changes.

I'm in no rush other than my impatient side but more concerned if there are any issues as reported with software and mpg etc!

In reference to the Mild hybrid system, On my build list it does reference to MHEV. This is what I extracted from the backend of the order

I read that, however it post dates my car and talks about the A8. So its not clear what is engineered into the 4 cylinder engines neither does it mention the A4...

hm, maybe it won't affect pre 2017 builds etc, only those that has the MHEV fitted. I can't look under the bonnet of mine as it at the dealers waiting for handover.