Temperature sensor - low temp ?

roydonaldson

Reaction score
Hi there,

Was driving down the motorway yesterday and noticed that my temperature guage, which normally sits rock solid on 90C was about 82C.

I think it may be the temperature sensor that is at fault ?

I'd bought one before to replace in my wife's TT for vagparts.com, but obviously they are not there any more. Any where I can buy parts like this online anymore?

Thanks,
Roy.

Try GSF

Hi there,

Was driving down the motorway yesterday and noticed that my temperature guage, which normally sits rock solid on 90C was about 82C.

I think it may be the temperature sensor that is at fault ?

I'd bought one before to replace in my wife's TT for vagparts.com, but obviously they are not there any more. Any where I can buy parts like this online anymore?

Thanks,
Roy.

I have a similar prob, replaced the temp sender and no change so replacing the thermostat this weekend..... :(

Ran past a VW dealer and got a new temp sender from there. I'll replace it at the weekend, when the car isn't hot and it's light outside and hopefully not as cold to do it.

Will try replacing the sender first as it's easiest.

What do I need to do / get to replace the thermostat ?

Roy.

ive got the exact same problem atm, its booked in for a service and cambelt on wednesday so im gonna get the thermostat changed then, ill post the results on here

Anyone got any pictures of where it is on the engine. I just went outside thinking it would be in the same location as it was on my wife's TT...obviously not.

Roy.

im changing my thermostat this weekend....£18inc vat from the stealer..... im preparing myself for the crap that comes with it...someone mentioned having to remove the alternator at the dealer ....sod that im sure everyone on here has done it without

Yeah dont touch the alternater. You just need to be very patient. Its all easy until you get to the dreaded bottom bolt on the thermostat housing. Its only fiddly cos there's things in the way but with patients and a very long ratchet extension bar you'll get it done :icon_thumright:

Did mine today and temp now a solid 90 degrees... I removed the alternator, well unbolted it and moved it out of the way and it was easy from there on in. If you do take the alternator off though, be aware that its on tight... the alternator has metal inserts that the bolts screw into and getting it back onto the alternator bracket is very tricky so I used the alternator bolt and a couple of sockets to pull the insert out a bit making it easier to get the alternator back onto the bracket.

Its all very tight but very pleased now its done :)

Looks ok providing you have the tools etc to do it. I hope that works for you mate as you have to take a lot less off to do it :)

I had to remove the left hand boost pipe and move it and the hard pipe out the way to get at the alternator bolts with a 13mm deep socket... also gotta move the serpentine belt tensioner to loosen the belt to move the alternator.

Reading through that tutorial I notice they don't mention draining the cooling system first, I suggest you do that first as when you take that hose off you will lose quite a bit, you also lose a bit when the stat is removed so make sure you have some G12+ ready to top it all back up again

Cheers Tufty....

any tips on draining and refilling? i only ever did my first ever car which subsequently overheated due to me not geting all the air pockets out....Rover 214:salute:....always had a garage do the job ever since

Luckily got a full bottle of G12+ sat on my shelf after i changed the header tank.... thought it would come in handy one day:laugh:

The drain tap is at the bottom of the radiator (passenger side) and you will need to remove the trim underneath to get to it. Use a bit of hose to fit over the tap and then drain the coolant into something clean (I used an old 5ltr container for washer fluid with the top cut off).

This won't however drain water from the engine block... You have a couple of choices here, either accept you will lose a bit of coolant when you take the stat out and try and be quick changing it out with the old one (not that easy tbh unless there are 2 of you) or you can undo the hose by the oil filter housing and drain it out that way.

Refilling should be a case of pouring it back into the expansion tank and running the engine on a fast idle to get the temp up. It has been suggested that one should squeeze the pipe going into the stat housing to force air out, I have done this but would advise that if the engine is running then so are the fans and they will be CLOSE!!... do this at your own risk...

Leave the cap off the expansion tank and top up as required. There is no 'bleeding' to be done as far as could find out as the expansion tank is the highest point of the cooling system so no air 'should' get trapped.

Go for a short drive and let the car cool down, check the coolant level again and top up as required...

Thats how I did it anyway, the A3 Haynes said pretty much the same and I have done it this way twice now... once for the cam belt/water pump change (knew I should have changed the stat then!!) and of course this time round for the stat...

<tuffty/>

when i changed the stat i disconnected the battery and removed the wires from the back of the alternator this gave me the required room to get the the bolts and saved taking the alternator off

thermostat replaced on wednesday, rock solid at 90degrees ever since

ive got the exact same problem atm, its booked in for a service and cambelt on wednesday so im gonna get the thermostat changed then, ill post the results on here