1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperature gauge fluctuating - Thermostat?

Kev Boy May 12, 2018

1. Kev Boy

Kev Boy Member

hi all,

Tonight while driving along my car started to drop it’s temperature on the gauge. It was fluctuating gradually down and then back up over the course of a 200 mile journey but didn’t make a noticeable difference in performance...

It never dipped below 70 or raised above 90. No leaks or anything from the radiator.

Is this the thermostat? If so how big a job is it? And how much would I be looking at for a garage to fit?

It’s a 2007 3.0 TDi V6 (240bhp) engine.

Thanks,

Kevin.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. jamiewatkins2004

jamiewatkins2004 Active Member

Yeah I’d say change the thermostat and temp sensor while you’re at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwould likes this.
  4. Brian wright 5

Brian wright 5 New Member

Hi i had this with my 2.0tfsi. When stationary the temp would go up to 90 but when u drive it drops down. Put a new stat on and now runs bang on the 90 mark and does not budge. Get a genuine stat though as some after market ones are prone to leak. Part was about £40 from audi and took me about an hour to fit.

5. Paul battams

Paul battams Member

[​IMG]
    It’s a pretty big job I just took front end off mine and did other stuff as well while I was in there water pump is right next to it if it’s never been changed!!!!

6. Kev Boy

Kev Boy Member

Aw right. That isn’t so bad. Is it an easy enough diy job or is it best to put it to a garage for the thermostat?

Don’t know what’s best about water pump. There are no receipts for it but the car has done 128k.

7. Paul battams

Paul battams Member

All depends how confident you are with spanner’s you can just take the front bumper off and get some longer bolts and leave the front panel on and draw it forward so you don’t have to spilt power steering and A/C it’s tight but doable mines on 170k so I just did fuel pump belt and tensioner aux belt and tensioner and bottom pulley.
    If you do water pump get one with metal fins not the plastic ones they can spin after a while good luck bleeding coolant system I had a pig of a job with mine.
    As for a price for thermostat I was getting told 4 hrs labour if anyone would take it on so just did it myself over 2 days.