Temp still not right!

pembo1976

Reaction score
Having the old problem of temp gauge not working on my 2002 1.8t quattro A4 I replaced the temp sensor located at the back of the engine bay. Its now reading a temp wandering around the 60 degree mark when I'm on the move and only sits at 90 (which I think its supposed to be constantly at once up to temp??) when I'm stationary or in slow moving traffic. Is there another temp feed to the gauge? maybe at the radiator thus explaining the temp fluctuation. I was under the impression that the temp gauge had only 1 input.

Cheers.

There are two CTS's on the 1.8T, the one you've replaced already and there is one at the bottom of the lower radiator hose. It's connected using a plastic retaining clip. It's fairly easy to spot, be warned though if you take off the clip all the coolant will come out in quite some force.

Sounds more like thermostat stuck open rather than temp sender, but I guess it could be either

AndyMac said:
Sounds more like thermostat stuck open rather than temp sender, but I guess it could be either

Yeah sounds like thermostat to me as well

Thanks for the replys, has anyone got a part number for a thermostat and how to change?

Cheers

A bit of bad news for you is that the 1.8T has an electronic thermostat, these are pricey and are a bitch to fit.

Yes, it should do. The thermostat's rarely go bad though.

Golfs right on this. If you can get it out there is a test procedure for this electronic thermostat. I can send it to you if you PM me with an email address