Temp sensor

SDO

Reaction score
HI guys just had a look at my temp sensor as since I’ve fitted a new one my temp gauge hasn’t work, should the plug be a tight fit as mine just pulls off without pressing the release clip and I doesn’t look like its even going all the way on. Just a thought did the facelift come with a different temp sensor as mines pre facelift and had the same problem with the brake sensor

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know if preface lift came with a different temp sensor to the green one

NO, I replaced mine on my pre-facelift S3 some years back on the front coolant pipe with green one, it shouldnt just pull out, should have the retaining clip & oring to hold in tight, you sure its plugged in properly?

Uh hold on, did you remove the retaining clip so you can push the sensor all way in if its what I remember, its not a push/sprung loaded release clip mate IIRC you need to remove the clip & put the sensor & oring in pipe & then fit the clip I think, HTC would know of top of his head.

Tried taking the sensor out and plugging it in and having it in the hoses with the release clip in and none work. The sensor looks to long for the plug and that the pins aren't contecting plus the plug is square and the top of the sensor has a curve on it

So the socket on the sensor for connection is completely square but the wired connector has a curve on one side, would seem it is incorrect sensor then mate if they dont match up, got any images of location & the sensor, whats the part number of the old sensor & the new one so I can check etka for you fella.

This looks like it would fit
WS1106_FINAL.jpg

but this is what i've got

059919501a.jpg

i haven't got a part number but its located on the right hand side of the engine down near the air box.

So the sensor you're replacing is actually on the engine itself or on a pipe at the front right towards the airbox as this is the common one.

The 2nd image is the one I know of thats on the coolant pipe from what I recall, so would seem possibly the one you have is wrong, what happened to the old sensor?

erm the old sensor got thrown away by my dad. Got told it was the temp sensor was knackered and given the green one, now i'm trying to put it on the coolant pipe next to the air box is that the right place for it or am i putting it in the wrong place.

Yeah basically the one thats normal is on the coolant pipe just to the right of the engine at front before the airbox, but if you've removed the other one & chucked away then that does worry me a tad & should you, lol, so the one you chucked away is that the other image you showed us?

Right just got back from audi with the right sensor i did need the one in the first pic the green one is for tyhe facelift models apparently.

thanks for the help NHN

Very strange as mine was prefacelift mate, but then again yours is an A3 not the S3, not it would be much difference tbh as same engine mostly, so it would maybe explain the differences, I'm not sure without consulting the oracle & havnt had my S3 for 2 years now, sad day that was, but still do me a favour take image of the sensor location & fitment please just for my own curiosity mate if thats ok.

Thanks & hope fixes.

Right just got back from audi with the right sensor i did need the one in the first pic the green one is for tyhe facelift models apparently.

thanks for the help NHN

Odd, because my prefacelift model (2000) had a problem with the sensor so I popped to GSF and got a green one. It has the curved edge to the connector and it fitted no problems, the same as the one that came off but it was green plastic instead of black?.

How strange!.

Tom

I have a feeling its different sensor mate cause the green one was the common fault on the pipe as per you & me, but hopefully he'll post images up.

I have a feeling its different sensor mate cause the green one was the common fault on the pipe as per you & me, but hopefully he'll post images up.

Yeah, could be I suppose. The dead one I pulled out of mine was black, but the new one was green.

I just wandered into GSF, told them what year it was and they said its a green one I need and job done.

T

Yeah mine was black aswell with a rounded edge for connector originally & swapped for green with same connector of course.

think they changed the spec of the sensor and the greeen indicated the latest editon one. The curved one is the one I replaced on a facelift S3 but if this is different on the prefacelift then just pop into GSF and they will sort you. Infact I think Audi as just as cheap for these sensors

i'll get some pics up at some point but it was located down right hand side on a pipe next to the air box. the block in audi said they changed the sensor on from 2000 and mines 1999 only a year out

I consulted the oracle & there are infact 3 different sensor/switches for one pipe & also on the same pipe it shows another one & yes it has 2pin & 4 pin so it would seem to indicate as I thought that its because you have an A3 that its different from the S3, well this is my analysis from etka anyway.

Look forward to an image of location to confirm our thoughts.

Here's the pics
DSCF2724.jpg

sensor itself
DSCF2722.jpg

DSCF2723.jpg

DSCF2725.jpg

The car
DSCF2726.jpg