temp gauge

S3 GAZ

Reaction score
went out my s3 today and after 20 mins of driving i noticed temp gauge had not budged from 60 reading. it was 7am in the morning and quite, outside temp 5 degrees. usually sits at 90 after 10mins of driving.

any ideas. reluctant to take the car out now to see if it does it again though

took it out for a drive up and down the local bypass and it went up to 90 as normal. seems to be working fine now. how odd?

i'l keep a close eye on it.

cheers for responses

If it fluctuates between 90 and below, it will be the thermostat. If it never rises to 90 it's the temp sender situated in the top coolant pipe leading to the radiator.

Will.

I'm having a similar problem on mine - bouncing between 75ish and 90 randomly, but generally at motorway speed on colder days.

I was thinking thermostat as suggested above but then came across water pump mentioned elsewhere and could do without the repair bill for that straight after a new turbo! Although surely water pump would cause it to overheat rather than under?

Either way, keen to get it sorted asap before the Le Mans trip!

Thanks, very useful thread - will get it added to the list for the pre le mans service!

Right its got worse from when i first posted :sadlike:. The temp gauge is firmly stuck at the bottom. It rises ever so slightly in the first 10mins of driving then quickly falls back to the bottom reading. it does it every time now not intermittantly like earlier.

will replacing the thermostat and temp sender solve my problems? also where abouts is the temp sender on a AMK s3.

cheers
gaz

would def get the thermostat and temp sensor replaced asap mate.

The temp sender is at the right of then engine, just under the plastic cover for the engine. It is in the top of the pipe which leads to the top of the radiator. 5 minute job, easy as pie, just dont do it when the coolant is hot.

I would replace this part first as it sounds as though its the culprit if the gauge never gets the 90. Also it is a bit easier to change than the thermostat. For £20 or so it is worth doing.

100% thermostat, mine was doing it for 5 months and i replaced it and its been perfect ever since!

Just replaced the temp sender on mine. Thermostat was fine.

Cheap and easy fix