Temp gauge!!!!!

chrisa4quat

Reaction score
Hi all,
A bit of assistance required if anyone can help, replaced coolant temp sensor on my car due to temp gauage inop, now it works but the needle
will not stick on 90 degrees when warm, normally at 80 or just below, sometimes its fine, but majority of tha time its not, any ideas, i'm thinking thermostat???
All help very much appreciated
Cheers

Mine's done exactly the same and was thinking the thermostat too. It warms up fine to 90 if I sit still for a while but a soon as I'm moving again drops like a stone - all the way to 60!

Just waiting to the new year - fitiing new timing belt, water pump and giving the throttle body the cleaning of it's life so I'll replace the thermostat at the same time. Here's hoping it'll sort it!

The thermostat has gone on mine in the last few weeks, exactly the same symtoms as you've described,
not too impressed at the location of it though, it appears the V6 has to be taken down to component parts before you can get it out! I've ended up ordering all new belts, tensioners and a water pump as well as the thermostat as they've pretty much all got to come off to get to the stat anyway! So a £15 or so part is gonna cost me about £400 to sort out!

mines gone aswell but luckily 1.8t is only £25 to fix fffewwwww

Well had mine all sorted out today, it had a new thermostat and seal, water pump, cambelt (and all tensioners and rollers) and a V-Belt! I got all Audi parts (eep!) which came to about £210 and got my local mechanic to fit them, labour was around £190, been a pretty expensive month all told! Hey ho! It's sorted now, stays at spot on 90 degrees :)

mattpanton said:
Well had mine all sorted out today, it had a new thermostat and seal, water pump, cambelt (and all tensioners and rollers) and a V-Belt! I got all Audi parts (eep!) which came to about £210 and got my local mechanic to fit them, labour was around £190, been a pretty expensive month all told! Hey ho! It's sorted now, stays at spot on 90 degrees :)

Blinking Hell thats a lot of wonga!!!!!!! whats the mileage on your motor?
do you know when it is recommend to change the timing belt?

luckly when my temp gauge sensor was playing up got this changed through audi warranty as this happened in the 1st year of onwership, not sure if they changed the belt etc..well they didnt tell me about it..

Current mileage is 101k ish, they recomend that the belt is done at 80k, which I had done as a condition of sale when I brought the car a year ago, so the belt that came off today had only covered 20k, but I feared that as the dealer was paying for it the tensioners wouldn't have been done (which was found to be the case!), so decided as the thermostat had gone anyway that it would be best to have the lot done,