1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Temp gauge problem?

JNH Nov 24, 2019

1. JNH

JNH Registered User

I have a 2000 PD115 A4, and recently my water temp gauge has decided not to move. However, my thermostat is only about 3 months old, and has been fine. I changed it when I first got the car and never had an issue since. My heater also works perfectly fine, and produces very warm air. Oil temp seems to be normal, but water now does not move at all, even after an hours drive. Using the climate control hidden menu, I can see that the value on 49 is 30c, and doesn't seem to move. The value on 51 appears to steadily climb to 90 and stay there.

What do we think, coolant temp sensor? Stat faulty again? Agh!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Registered User

Most likely dodgy CTS sensor if 49 isn't moving from 30 degrees...

51 on the hidden menu isn't actually anything credible... It's an estimate on what the car thinks the engine temp would be based on how long it's been running. I think it's used for the HVAC.

CTS from GSF is not much more than a tenner...

4. Bbflex

Bbflex Registered User

Be careful with some gsf stuff, I’ve recently had a few bits from them that where bad out the box. I’d fit a genuine temp sensor if possible.

5. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

Certain places knows what works , like Murray's Direct and a Meyle CTS will .

What make is the thermostat ?