Temp gauge overheating misdiagnosed

Dri11

Reaction score
Hi all! First post so go easy, I have kicked round these forums since having my A3 1.8T the help has really helped me while I dealt with a few niggly issues I have had and I just wanted to give something back!

There is a common problem that I know that we all know about and this is to do with the temp sender and the dash temp gauge being erratic, the normal (and most likely remedy) is to change it out for a green top one if it hasn't been changed already, anyway my issue was that my temp (dash) gauge was reporting overheating randomly and intermittently. Obviously I jumped onto these forums to look for likely causes including the usual suspects as the waterpump, thermostat and temp sender and checked all these out. The car wasn't overheating BTW.

ANYWAY the point I'm am getting to is that there is some mixed information on the forums about the 49c check you can run on the climate control - the majority of threads report this is a direct output of the temp sender or other SEPERATE to the dash gauge, while my car was 'overheating' the output from this climate check and the dash was reading the same figure jumping from 90 to 120 over randomly and then dropping back however as both was in sync wrongly this made me think that it was not the dash temp gauge at fault

This it appears is wrong it seems the dash temp gauge in the cluster is linked to the 49c readout on the climate as my temp gauge in the cluster was faulty and after having the cluster repaired both are now reading correctly. So the air con 49c is piggy backed with the dash temp gauge in my eyes.

I hope this info helps anyone fault finding in future after dismissing the usual culprits.

how do you get the display up mate?

* Press re-circulating air and then de-mist up arrow simultaneously.
* Press temperature control until 49C is displayed.
* Press re-circulating air to display reading.
* Press re-circulating air and up arrow again to cancel

I think this is the right YouTube vid too if you need it

Hope that makes sense!

Record + up arrow, after that use arrows to move and receive to confirm. Just Google there is plenty of info about this.

Beat me..lol...

So 49C is car temp reading?

Record + up arrow, after that use arrows to move and receive to confirm. Just Google there is plenty of info about this.

Beat me..lol...

So 49C is car temp reading?
Yes, there is discrepancy between models (I think 51c is an alternative) I keep searching for a complete list of codes but struggling to find one that is definitely for the 8L that I'm confident in trusting!