Temp gauge fault

Coolant Temp Sensor or sticky thermostat would immediately spring to mind.

My money is on a goosed coolant temp sensor. Replace with genuine VAG CTS only.

I would change both for peace of mind and buy some more G12 coolant too as you will need it to top the system up afterwards.

yes, I am having similar issue. I have 2004 1.8 Turbo Avant. Am in the US, so running on gas. Mileage is 70K. Just did timing belt and water pump, and while no issue with WP, it was preventative since car was all taken apart. During that service the error codes 17700/P1292 - MAP controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat - F65, open circuit, static; and 19497/P3041 - Databus drivetrain implausible engine temp message from instrument cluster. Can anyone help decipher? do I replace ECT sensor or Thermostat?? or both??

Looking on rosstech, it's your coolant temp sensor, & the thermostat are goosed. Both are common failures.

I replaced the coolant temp sender on my 2.5 TDI in about 10 mins, easy peasy

Guage showed similar issues, sometimes would register no temperature

No probs since

both are very easy to do. two bolts on the thermo housing, pull a c-clip on the temp sender.

change both mine and replaced the whole system with g12, behaved since.

As stated it's an easy job to do both CTS & stat. Any independent garage could do it if your not confident to do it yourself, & absolutely no need to pay main dealer/stealer prices.