Telephone? Bluetooth? Confused..

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately you can't delete the radio stations that I know off. But if you leave it on Radio 1 it will always stay there no matter what! :)

.. Any more luck with the Bluetooth connection? .. I wonder if there are any faults logged maybe with the module? :uhm:

This is gettin better.. The Audi interface looks very cool but is so annoying to use.

Still no further forward with the Bluetooth. Think I'm gona have to trail the manual out..

Last edited:
I thought only phone prep high had the roof fin?

No, the GSM arial in the roof fin is available to the phone via the cradle adapter through a Fakra connection on the wiring behind the cradle. The idea is the phone goes in the cradle adapter, the pinning on the cradle carries the GSM antenna signal of the phone to the roof fin to give good reception for the phone in the car without the car acting as a Faraday cage. The cradle also carries power to charge the phone. The phone itself still has to connect via bluetooth inside the car to connect HFP to the speakers and mic for hands free.

Phone Prep Low gives HPF only - Hands Free Profile bluetooth
Phone Prep High gives HPF and rSAP

Both connect via Bluetooth and I bet you could count on one hand the number of Audi drivers who have anything but a blank unused cradle in their armrest.

iPhones don't do rSAP (easily) and blackberry, which I have for work, is rubbish in rSAP mode.

There was a hugely expensive rSAP adapter that added basic rSAP to phone prep low on the previous generation of Audi phone prep. Total palaver really.

To be honest Brennan, none of this Audi stuff comes anywhere close to the excellent connectivity I had with the RNS510 / Bluetooth / Voice Control in my old and now, every time I have to make or a take a call, sadly missed Skoda ;-) I had a touchscreen with speed dial. I don't have any sort of speed dial anymore.

Last edited:
Having said that I still like the car though. It is a car not a bleedin' phone box! :moa:

Right Brennan, lets get you sorted Lad.

There is an excellent and free online service manual available here that will give diagrams of what we're looking for to check it's all present and correct:

Audi Workshop Manuals > A4 Mk3 > Vehicle electrics > Communication > Infotainment > Telephone system

Cars up to week 44 / 2008 with Radio have a CAN bus based Bluetooth controller/receiver under the drivers seat. I'm not too familiar with this on the Audi but on VW, SEAT, and Skoda it's almost identical. There will either be a box that contains the Bluetooth unit or the Bluetooth unit itself will be concealed under the carpet. Have a rummage in there to see what's what. You will have a multi core cable coming up from the floor trunking that connects to the Bluetooth module through a large multi-pin connector. The module itself has the Bluetooth antenna connected to it - look to see if that is missing or damaged. It's basically a Fakra plug with a little bit of PCB coming out of it, around 1cm x 3cm. It sticks out at a right angle to the Bluetooth module and is rigid so is prone to damage if the module is loose and slides about.

Have a dig about to see if its broken. If it is the controller in the radio will tell the module to set to discoverable and the module will scan for Bluetooth devices but if the little antenna is broken it will do that all day with no result. If it's broken or missing you will be able to find one on fleabay for about 6 quid / Euro. If it's rattling around in there disconnected reseat it.

Also check the multi-pin plug is seated correctly in the connector on the module. The plug has a lever to latch it to the Bluetooth module so don't force it. Pull the lever to release the plug, have a look for bent pins in the connector. If all looks good, reseat the plug and lock it home with the lever. If there was poor contact with the pins chances are the friction of removal and refitting will have cleared any oxidisation and improve electrical contact.

If none of that works give up - only joking.

Seriously, if there is no bluetooth module at all re-check the online service manual I pointed you to and exhaust all the possible locations for the module for the various phone prep variations then kick up merry hell with the seller if no Bluetooth module can be found. I do think it should be under the drivers seat though. Later cars have a module with the same antenna and wiring connector but with the addition of a MOST bus connector.

Last edited:
From the Workshop manual:

A4 15359

1 - Telephone bracket -R126- with mobile telephone -R54-
2 - Radio -R- in dash panel
3 - Sound systems
4 - Aerial for Bluetooth -R152- on telephone transmitter and receiver unit -R36-
5 - Telephone transmitter and receiver unit -R36- beneath front seat (right-side)
6 - Microphone unit in front roof module -R164- in front interior light -W1-
7 - Aerial amplifier for mobile telephone -R86- behind luggage compartment side trim (right-side)
8 - Radio, telephone and navigation system aerial -R52- (roof aerial)

The module connectors will look like this:

View attachment 34659

Telephone transmitter and receiver unit -R36-
A - Connection for aerial for Bluetooth -R152-
B - MOST bus
C - Multi-pin connector, 54-pin (T54a)
D - Connection (GSM) from radio, telephone and navigation system aerial -R52- (roof aerial)

View attachment 34660

C - Multi-pin connector, 54-pin (T54a)
1 - Terminal 30
2 - Terminal 31
3 - Switch-on signal from telephone bracket -R126-
10 - Terminal 31 (screen earth)
11 - Microphone input (+) from microphone unit in front roof module -R164- (telephone microphone -R3:cool:
12 - Microphone input (–) from microphone unit in front roof module -R164- (telephone microphone -R3:cool:
14 - Open circuit diagnostic lead

Why are you posting MOST control units when the OP's car doesn't have MMI?

Aaron mate, PM me if you need anymore pointers.

OK, the intention of my previous post was to offer a general idea of what to look for but I have since found the correct image of the CAN based module, so without further ado or added MOST:

For general identification of the 54-Pin connector and Fakra Bluetooth Antenna

CAN Module

Telephone transmitter and receiver unit -R36-
A - Connection for aerial for Bluetooth -R152-
B - Multi-pin connector, 54-pin (T54a)

View attachment 34662

B - Multi-pin connector, 54-pin (T54a)
1 - Terminal 30
2 - Terminal 31
3 - Switch-on signal to aerial amplifier for mobile telephone -R86-
8 - NF+ (low frequency) to radio -R-
9 - NF (–) (low frequency) to radio -R-
10 - Terminal 31 screen earth (not used)
11 - Microphone input (+) from microphone unit in front roof module -R164-
12 - Microphone input (–) from microphone unit in front roof module -R164-
16 - NF mute (low frequency) (not used)
17 - CAN bus High (Infotainment)
18 - CAN Bus Low (Infotainment)
37 - Terminal 30 to telephone bracket -R126-
39 - Terminal 31 to telephone bracket -R126-
41 - Terminal 30 to telephone bracket -R126-
42 - Microphone output (+) to telephone bracket -R126-
43 - Microphone output (–) to telephone bracket -R126-
44 - Terminal 31 (screen earth)
45 - NF (+) (low frequency) from telephone bracket -R126-
46 - NF (–) (low frequency) from telephone bracket -R126-
47 - DIAG signal from telephone bracket -R126-
49 - Ser-Tx (+) to telephone bracket -R126-
50 - Ser-Tx (–) to telephone bracket -R126-
51 - Ser-Rx (+) from telephone bracket -R126-
52 - Ser-Rx (–) from telephone bracket -R126-

Yayyy!! its working :yahoo:

14860564591_e6fc061478_c.jpg

So i was back down at Belfast Audi this morning, getting stuff (i might as well move in :lmfao:), Pat had offered me to come down and he'd get one of the guys to look at it. So the tech guy got in my car and i went to show him that my iPhone couldnt find it, but guess what... It found the car within 2 secs and after typing in the code i was paired straight away.

Was a bit embarrassing, my car made a c*** out of me :lmfao:

Least you got sorted in the end!.. Another problem off the list!

That was a good read. Was ******* myself at the end. ;-)