Tech pack vs non tech pack

I must be the oldest boy racer in town then.

Depends what you define a boy racer as.

Having a loud exhaust doesn't count, that just makes you a bogan.

I'm at 60 and most that know me refer to me as a 'boy racer' but not because of a pop and crackle exhaust.

Engine sound excites me, not what comes out the rear end but each to their own ;)

I wouldn't buy a used one without the larger screen

The standard screen looks far too out dated for me.

That's a very valid point - even if you, as the original owner, don't see the value in the larger screen, when it comes time to sell, buyers will be looking for cars with the Tech Pack and upgraded sound system over ones which don't have them, especially when it's an S3. It may not hurt the resale value that much in actuality but it'll make the car that much harder to sell.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and WarwickL
TBH if growing up means not finding exhaust noise fun. I have no interest in doing so (I've avoided it for nearly half a century as it is)

Depends on the noise & the situation. Yes exhaust noise can be entertaining but also a pain. I was in Mini Countryman JCWorks the other day and, at a motorway cruise, the exhaust noise was indescribably awful, just this constant droning noise that drilled into my head.

Meh - had a straight through pipe on an A35 - shooting flames was a blast.

Edit - for the young uns an A35 is one step up from an A30 which I also owned

Both were terrible on corners and easily flipped.

Dad and I put a V4 in my A35 (out of a Transit) . It was a weapon on the straights but stupid on corners.

Followed by my idiocy with a short block V8 in a Morrie.

Referred to as the crab as it went sideways down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68
Cheers for the replys lads, my car is due to start construction on the 1st of Feb. Dealer managed to add the tech pack for me just in time. Made up now and can't wait to get my car!

Reactions: azibux1, Vertigo1, Rob2k68 and 3 others
The standard screen is functional - yeah the resolution is bad but it's not so terrible that I can't read anything on it. Apart from the sat nav there isn't much else you can really do on the screen to need higher resolutions. Unless someone can correct me?

However I agree that Audi shouldn't have skimped out on the screen. With more and more car owners getting their cars on lease, and probably returning it back to Audi at the end of the lease, surely it's in Audi's interest to add more stuff like the better screen and front parking sensors etc. as standard to improve their chances of selling it as Approved Used. Unless they intend on retrofitting a lot.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I agree mate but I've currently got a Astra gtc Vxr with a fairly huge screen which comes out right to the edges of the display, didn't want to feel like I was downgrading on the screen when everything else is 10x better than on my car now. Can't wait to get rid of the heap of **** wheel spin galore

Reactions: Ignition1 and WarwickL
I agree mate but I've currently got a Astra gtc Vxr with a fairly huge screen which comes out right to the edges of the display, didn't want to feel like I was downgrading on the screen when everything else is 10x better than on my car now. Can't wait to get rid of the heap of **** wheel spin galore

Yeah I guess once you've gone big screen you won't go back. My next car will definitely have the equivalent Tech Pack option, then I'll be the one saying how the standard screen is terrible :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68, nickk709 and 1 other person
Yeh mate I think it will finish the car off nicely with the interior light pack and b&o

Reactions: Rob2k68 and WarwickL
Now I have my car my opinion has changed. The screen, whilst not great, is the last thing on your mind whilst you're driving.

And I bet I it will impact very little on part ex with a Dealer whether you have tech pack or SD nav in 3 years time.

Without question the larger screen will be far superior in size & resoution but I will take the grand saved for now - but I don't use sat nav much at all & wont be looking at music graphics ... So my choice is personal to me.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Technology package for a bag of sand a bargain it was £1800 on my car with the gash connect

Reactions: Ignition1, nickk709 and Snake Pliskin
I would have to say that for me the tech pack is a must have option, I could have taken a brand new stock car which had all the options I wanted apart from the tech pack so I ordered a new one instead which will not be here until the end of April.