Tech Pack Screen Retrofit

Lewbo

Reaction score
i have an S3 on order with SD nav which is what I wanted but I think the resolution is poor. I couldn't justify the extra £1000 for the tech pack just for the higher resolution screen. As I have LED sat nav screen in my 8P which I am keeping even when the 8v comes I think it would annoy me that it's better resolution in the 8p than a brand new 8v so was wondering if anyone has retrofitted tech pack screen.
I'm not bothered about the full set up of tech pack I just want the high res screen so hoping the screen would be a straight swap.

Interesting idea, depends if it runs the same graphics ( Tegra) and same connectors, etc.

The standard screen is poor, no doubt.

I'm sure someone will be along who was has access to the parts database who could help you further

This has been tried without success. The high resolution screen has to be driven by the Tech Pack MMI unit. From what I remember a chap in Germany tried it and all he got was 4 coloured blocks on the screen.

Another member on here recently went the whole way and upgraded both the screen and the MMI to the Tech Pack version successfully.

The parts aren't cheap... You're looking at around £3k for the MMI and £1k for the screen, plus £tbc for the touch control pad.

It has been tried even with the older 2d nav. It has always proven more expensive than getting it factory fitted.

The Tech Pack basically is the higher res screen - the other improvements you get with it are rather trivial by comparison. Yes £1k is steep just for a better screen but it's going to be far cheaper than trying to retrofit it.

That's a matter of opinion whether the other improvements are 'trivial' - I think it all adds up to a pretty nice package overall, and some of the other bits you get are really great value

Reactions: The Challinor