Tech Pack or Tech Pack with Audi Connect???

Bond Villain

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have ordered the tech pack. Can the Audi Connect be added later if wanted or is it installed at build??

Am I right in saying that Audi Connect lets a sim card be used. Can you link the normal Tech Pack to your phone, using your phones 4G?

I would like for traffic updates to be downloaded..

Thanks

Can't be retrofitted.

And you need Audi Connect for any kind of internet (i.e. you can't tether your phone without it). IMO the tech pack is wasted without it.

I wouldn't recommend tethering your phone anyway, plus you can't with an iPhone. And on Android the way it does it is not very user friendly - for example any SMS you receive whilst in the car stays in the car, and not on the phone! Just connect using the normal handsfree profile.
It's much simpler to put a SIM in the dash for a dedicated data connection - budget ~£5-6 a month for it. I have an EE sharer which leaches off my main EE contract's 10GB allowance. The car shouldn't use more than 1GB per month - many people go with a PAYG data only SIM.

Reactions: Bond Villain
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's a big help. I will be going for the Audi Connect..

I'm looking at a Three unlimited data sim only for my rs3 when it comes (my son watches loads of you tube vids on his iPad hence the unlimited data)

its £17 a month but there is a clause where it says "Use up to 4GB of your data allowance as a personal hotspot"

is this classed as a personal hotspot if used in the way we want to or do you think the entire unlimited data allowance will be available?

No, it uses the normal data allowance, not the hotspot mode.

Reactions: Nardo-RS3
I'm looking at a Three unlimited data sim only for my rs3 when it comes (my son watches loads of you tube vids on his iPad hence the unlimited data)

its £17 a month but there is a clause where it says "Use up to 4GB of your data allowance as a personal hotspot"

is this classed as a personal hotspot if used in the way we want to or do you think the entire unlimited data allowance will be available?

Over the course of a year the best data package seems to be 3 Broadband - Pay As You Go + 12
This gives you -

•Pre-loaded with 12GB and valid up to 12 months. Topped up and ready to go.
•12GB data
•Valid for 12 months

All for £70.49

That's a saving of £55.49 over a year on the Monthly 1G 30day packages.

See - http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...rTariff=50to99.99&payGPriceForTariff=0to49.99

Reactions: monopole
I've just bought an EE 4G PAYG Sim with 2G on it for under £7. That apparently has a 3 month validity.

Purchased off amazon

Reactions: monopole
Just looked at the EE 4G w/2G data one Chins, 30 days only though :(

If you are already with a provider call them up and see what they can do for you I'm with Vodafone. Called them up got 10 GB of data for £10 a month

Personally can't really see the point in the connect stuff, can't say I ever need to use the internet whilst in the car, think the only advantage is the google maps satellite view on the sat nav, but can't justify the extra cost just for that.

The main advantage of speccing the tech pack is the higher resolution screen (once you've seen the HD one the standard screen looks horrid) and the touch pad imo.

Personally can't really see the point in the connect stuff, can't say I ever need to use the internet whilst in the car, think the only advantage is the google maps satellite view on the sat nav, but can't justify the extra cost just for that.

The main advantage of speccing the tech pack is the higher resolution screen (once you've seen the HD one the standard screen looks horrid) and the touch pad imo.

The Google Earth overlays are nice to have, it's all other other stuff it does that is awesome and well worth it beyond just the screen/touchpad...
  • Online traffic (MUCH more accurate than TMC, and it highlights roads in green/yellow/red like on Google Maps)
  • Sending destinations to the car from your PC on Google Maps or your phone - makes long journeys and day trip planning much quicker as you don't have to mess about putting Postcodes in, just call up the list you sent to the car the night before
  • Street View for final destination image - the last Sat Nav instruction includes a photo of your destination, no more crawling up the road looking at house numbers, just look for the house/building in the pic!
  • Google for local POI - I often use it when out n about to find a nearby restaurant or hotel, it includes Google reviews etc in the listings
  • WiFi Hotspot - saves battery on your phone as it's using the internet via short range transmissions, and I've used it a few times with colleagues/friends in the car on long journeys who want to browse. Also if you had kids, then will help to keep them entertained on the iPads!
  • Updating the sat nav maps online every 6 months, rather than paying the dealer £££ to do it (or having to shout at them to do it for free)
It also does all the social media/news/weather/train times/fight info/fuel prices/parking info - all of this I VERY rarely use, I think only the flight info once when picking someone up from the airport. But it's there if you need it.

Reactions: Ashbrummy
I have a 3 pay as you SIM card in myn works mint never had to top up