TDI Tuning Box - Anyone Used it?

willh92

Reaction score
I use a DTUK box, as did many others on here and have never had a problem.
Nearly 20,000 miles and no clutch issues - but I dont drive it like a tit. Just the odd boost here and there.

Sounds like DTUK is the one to buy really, seems tried and tested. All the other brands I've found and researched have very mixed reviews with people's cars throwing up warning lights left right and centre!

I'll have to save up for one! What sort of power do you get out of them, I'm not looking for the full 300bhp but 280 ish would be spot on, I feel like that bit extra power would make the car.

Really looking into these boxes. How many guys have actually used these boxes on here?

I use a DTUK box, as did many others on here and have never had a problem.
Nearly 20,000 miles and no clutch issues - but I dont drive it like a tit. Just the odd boost here and there.

Is the DTUK box also ECU traceless?

I didn't think any of the boxes were ECU trace-free as the changed ECU settings can still be picked up by a dealer when in for a service ? I might have imagined that though.... :)

If they can I guess it would depend on whether the dealer wanted to make a fuss.

I didn't think any of the boxes were ECU trace-free as the changed ECU settings can still be picked up by a dealer when in for a service ? I might have imagined that though.... :)

If they can I guess it would depend on whether the dealer wanted to make a fuss.
Reason I asked is that the TDI website specifically says its traceless.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How much difference does the DTUK one make ? Anyone dyno'd their car with it on?

If anyone is interested i have one that i no longer need open to offers paid £400 for it

Apparently it doesnt throw up the TD1 flag that a normal remap will as the box sends the correct figures back to the ECU.

Reactions: lfcrule1972
Might want to check out Racechip. They offer a 2 year powertrain warranty, but only covers up to £4000.

Also read this from their FAQ's.

We generally recommend removing the RaceChip module before servicing so as to allow the garage to perform work on a standard series vehicle.

We also wish to point out that some manufacturers, when performing a readout of the vehicle's memory, also analyse relevant vehicle performance data, and in doing so they may try to determine whether a performance enhancement has been installed. In the case of OBD tuning (i.e. an active alteration of the manufacturer's software), the presence of a performance enhancement can be determined and verified. But with RaceChip technology (an additional control unit) the manufacturer's hardware and software remain unchanged. If chip tuning is not located in the engine, then the data can only hint at an electronic performance enhancement. Similar data can also be produced, in some cases, by series production deviations on the part of the manufacturer.

There are no special guidelines you need to observe for a servicing at a garage because, with a RaceChip performance enhancement, all manufacturer systems remain unchanged.

After servicing, you can simply re-install the RaceChip.

I presume they are saying its untraceable?

Reactions: lfcrule1972 and PastS1Owner
Yeah they're saying it's not traceable but when I've researched their product I've found mixed reviews - DTUK I'm yet to see any negative reviews. I guess it's one of those things you need to take the plunge to find out for yourself really!

Reminds me I need to chase up my insurance broker for the cost of adding one of these DTUK boxes to mine :)

Reminds me I need to chase up my insurance broker for the cost of adding one of these DTUK boxes to mine :)
It would interesting to hear what extra monies your insurance company asks for. I am sure it will be a hundred extra.

Yep pretty much, I had a write off last year :( so the additional premium probably reflects that at £130 for the year.

Although saying not traceable they can throw anomalies on the car, say you had a clutch failure the techs would definitely be looking for them.

It's happened to seat Leon owner recently, there's quite a lot about this on the S3 forum.

Bought one last week and fitted it on Sunday, currently not a clutch abusive setting but it does make the car torque and acceleration noticeably better. Happy so far and deffo worth the £11 extra a month on my car insurance for worry free driving.

Sounds good! Did you buy the DTUK one?

Think I'm going to buy one end of August, need to save a little bit more. Keen to hear what settings work best for you, apparently 3 + 1 is good.

I'll try that at the weekend, I'm currently running 2+2 I ran out of time to read up on the various settings last Sunday when I fitted it :)

Im running 2 +2 on mine...

Reactions: willh92 and lfcrule1972
It would be interesting to dyno it on each setting!

Yeah I bought the DTUK box - When I was looking into it DTUK provided me with a dyno print but it doesn't show the difference between each setting, so, I'd agree it would be good to see what each one does to the cars performance :)

audi_s1_2.jpg

That dyno print shows a standard car power of 250bhp - either Audi have massively under quotes their car or that was not a stock vehicle!

Well, I was told mine was in excess of 245bhp (does have a K&N filter although I don't think that gives those gains) before the DTUK box. I understand that Audi undersell the bhp as 231 and the S1's are in fact higher in bhp from stock.

I think that dyno print is from Noor Josef's S1 when he owned it....

Last edited:
When I first got it, not since I fitted the DTUK box :) I'm relying on the noticeable improvement in acceleration and torque to judge that the box is working...

When I first got it, not since I fitted the DTUK box :) I'm relying on the noticeable improvement in acceleration and torque to judge that the box is working...

Waiting for my DTUK to be delivered - what setting are you running on yours? Planning to try a few out, but I'm not patient enough to try all of the combinations!

Yeah I've read 2+2 is a bit more tame and I'll probably settle for that as it's my daily and don't want to ruin my clutch!