TDI quattro whining/whistling noise

DiggyA3

Reaction score
Hello guys!
I've recently bought a 2009 TDI quattro Sportback and last night, all of a sudden a strange whining noise appeared. I'm asking for your help as I have no good mechanics in my area right now and I'm pretty concerned about this.
So the noise seems to be coming from front or front right area, starts when going over 30-40 mph (around 60 kmh) and quits below 20 mph. I took the front wheel off and took a look and there is nothing rubbing there so it makes me think of a gearbox/haldex issue.
I've owned some quattro's in the past but were all Torsen's, this is my first Haldex car so I don't know very much about the system.
Car runs good, no vibrations, no errors, only the noise.
Can anybody please point me in some direction on what should I check? Or at least tell me if I cand continue driving it? (I need the car everyday).
Here is the youtube link with the video of the problem: https://youtube.com/shorts/76fOBEbp9Cg?feature=share
I hope everything is ok about this thread, I'm quite new to the forum :).
Thank you very much!

Remove your alternator belt for a few minutes and see if the noise persists

No difference with the belt removed. The noise seems to be linked to the spinning of the wheel, not the engine.

It can be several things, including the wheel bearing. Best to get it checked if you’re guessing

It can be several things, including the wheel bearing. Best to get it checked if you’re guessing
The bearing seems to be ok, it's the first thing I've checked.
Update: the whistling only starts after a few miles of driving, when the car warms up a little bit. If it's cold it's as quiet as a mouse.

The bearing seems to be ok, it's the first thing I've checked.
Update: the whistling only starts after a few miles of driving, when the car warms up a little bit. If it's cold it's as quiet as a mouse.
Not all worn bearings have noticeable deflection what you will notice by playing with the wheel

bit carry on digging around

Not all worn bearings have noticeable deflection what you will notice by playing with the wheel

bit carry on digging around
I agree, but had it been the bearing, i guess I should have been able to notice something assuming the loud noise it makes...