TDI-line's 184 Quattro S-line

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Picked up on the 1st September, A3 Sportback TDI 184 Quattro S-line S-tronic.

First impressions are amazing, she drives effortlessly and holds the road with such sure grip and poise.

The 184 2.0 TDI engine is very slick, and probably one of the best common rail engines i have owned / driven, but it is early days yet, and i haven't pushed the car passed the legal limits.:busted_cop: One thing that has struck me, is how quiet she is.

The build of the car seems to be on a different level to my old A1 S-line black edition, and the MMI with SD sat nav is fantastic. Put's the old TomTom to shame, i'll keep that for the van.

Not to sure what suspension setup is on the car, the car wasn't a factory build by myself, but a recent stock addition by Audi to there dealers. I've checked the option codes against the build check list codes, and none are mentioned (eg deslect SE, sport or select s-line suspension). My dealer did say that the Quattro S-line's due to the quattro, would probably be fixed at S-line supsension. I prefer harder suspension.

I'll check all the option codes later.

Anyway, here's a few pics of one the first...

e081aab0-8416-4d13-b124-eb455bcdbd1d_zpsf3900c23.jpg

6c8d0157-e419-4010-9f7a-6b28900bb85f_zps9bfd635a.jpg

b585903b-7f58-475c-9a80-b9082b00bae7_zps9cbf138f.jpg

67179dfa-8392-410d-bfee-31820abc0d80_zpsdaa6a25c.jpg

1528153d-18a4-4b7c-b9d7-983b45d15e17_zpsc23f3524.jpg

IMG_0426_zps5efcc850.jpg

IMG_0416_zps2ee487f5.jpg

IMG_0413_zps439713ae.jpg

IMG_0410_zpsc3a672c9.jpg

Here's a few pics of the boot, with new boot liner.

Note there is no lower part to the boot, as the quattro raises the height, and then the space saver spare wheel sits in the recess.

IMG_0421_zpsee09d2e7.jpg

IMG_0422_zpscd7ef5ad.jpg

IMG_0424_zps5b4b7b95.jpg

IMG_0425_zps80095a6f.jpg

Reactions: baldrick, SJW, Tom75 and 5 others
Stunning - good colour ;)

So it looks like the boot floor height isn't adjustable on quattro?

Reactions: TDI-line
Stunning - good colour ;)

So it looks like the boot floor height isn't adjustable on quattro?

Yes bud, will be the same on the S3's too.

I'd checked this out when i had a test drive, so it wasn't a shock.

When i had a Golf Mk4 R32 and a Mk5 TDI 4-motion, these both had shallower boots due to the 4-motion.

Reactions: DaiBlue
That answers the very old question of why some of the pre-production demonstrators with B&O lost the adjustable boot floor - because they were Quattro and they couldn't sink the spare wheel low enough to fit the sub....

Excellent photos - love it!

Now I want to know how much space does the B&O sub take up. I was thinking the space under the load floor would be ok for bits and bobs.

And Thanks for the pics TDI-Line

If you don't have Quattro then the B&O sub takes up no extra boot space, as it's actually sunk into the spare wheel. The boot floor is useable on both height settings.

IMAG0630

Reactions: Cumbrian_bob and TDI-line
Looks pretty much identical to the Audi Sound System one as well

Nice! Been looking forward to these pics. Now I'm even more impatient for mine! Judging from the side view, you have S-Line suspension. Is the boot liner standard or an option that I missed?

LOVELY motor TDI-line.......:respekt:

Really interested to read your comments regarding difference in build quality with your 185 A1. Is the handling better also? Guessing with the Quattro it's much more neutral.

Still trying to find the right deal and a build slot / delivery time that isn't March 2014 for an S3. Seems a few dealers near me have not got much allocation of build slots.

Have fun :racer:

Your car looks brilliant tdi-line, xenon lights look cool.
The default suspension is sport on all s line specs (inc quatro), when I got salesman the double check my order on the system it said nothing about suspension selection, which the salesman said this confirmed I had selected sport set up (in my opinion a brilliant set up). The sport set up is not at all soft, so I guess it would be hard to tell unless you drove them back to back or measure the gap to the top of wheel arch.
Car looks great so if your happy with it doesn't matter.

Your car looks brilliant tdi-line, xenon lights look cool.
The default suspension is sport on all s line specs (inc quatro), when I got salesman the double check my order on the system it said nothing about suspension selection, which the salesman said this confirmed I had selected sport set up (in my opinion a brilliant set up). The sport set up is not at all soft, so I guess it would be hard to tell unless you drove them back to back or measure the gap to the top of wheel arch.
Car looks great so if your happy with it doesn't matter.

You're probably right about the suspension even though it does look v low in the pics. If suspension isn't mentioned at all in the spec then likely the default sports setting.
I actually measured the sports suspension clearance mid-way between front and rear wheels (I have a hump at my driveway entrance that any car I own needs to clear) and it was exactly 17cm. That might be one way to check.

Nice! Been looking forward to these pics. Now I'm even more impatient for mine! Judging from the side view, you have S-Line suspension. Is the boot liner standard or an option that I missed?

Hi Snakechips,

the boot liner is an accessory, so you can buy it now lol, ready for your A3. ;)

Not sure how much it cost, but it is the rigid plastic version, not the rubber or foam version. Only problem is you can hear things sliding on the liner. I may invest in the rubber one, had one on the A1 and there was no sliding.

Also bought the rubber mats today, so will put pics of them up soon.

I enquired about the 18" black rotors (as on the contrast edition TT), and they where £500 a corner. What a joke. ;)

The rubber coated bootliner I got is brilliant - did some 'energetic' cornering today, and the stuff in the boot (which is loose) didn't move an inch!

Really interested to read your comments regarding difference in build quality with your 185 A1. Is the handling better also? Guessing with the Quattro it's much more neutral.

Still trying to find the right deal and a build slot / delivery time that isn't March 2014 for an S3. Seems a few dealers near me have not got much allocation of build slots.

Hi Pulp,

the new A3 is such a step up from the A1, even with 185. I always felt my 185 understeered so badly, and the torque steer through the steering wheel was appalling. It was a fun car, but this feels like his bigger smarter brother. Quattro gives more confidence i suppose, and with a few months of driving, i'll know what i can push lol. So, a big YES to the handling, and a BIG smile. :)

The S3 with 300 horses is going to be awesome, probably the 185's **** sister. Very easy on the eye, and goes like a train.

Good luck with the deal and allocation slots.

Lovely looking car. I shan't be on the market for a new car until early next year all being well but I couldn't resist popping into the Audi dealer and sitting in an 8V. I owned an 8P a few years ago. I was instantly sold! Love glacier white too :)

I ordered my S3 2 weeks ago and was quoted December delivery. Try going through a broker, drive the deal were good with me.