Tdi gearbox swap in s3

graul

Reaction score
My gearbox is pretty much toast. I'm looking to replace it with a tdi one from a golf 4-motion or maybe a octavia. Has anyone done it before.
No problems in changing it really, just a bit concerned that the final drive will differ and mess up the rear diff.
Am i wrong? And if not which gearbox am i looking for in the junkyard?

The gearing ratios won't mess up the rear differentials.

The rear prop is driven at a 1:1 ratio, power split 3-ways from the front differential.

I seem to recall the casing the the diesel boxes being different ?

The TT Roadsters came with diesel ratios inside petrol O2M casings (some with only 5 gears & 6th blanked)

overall ratios will be taller but this won't effect speedo or rear diff as its direct drive from the transfer box...

Actual gear ratios are fairly similar its the two final drives in the box that make the difference

TDi block uses the same bell housing configuration as 1.8t... boxes from a VR motor won't fit... 02M came in 5 and 6 speed... 5 speed is a 6 speed box with a gear missing essentially

TDi boxes will effect acceleration to a degree of course being a little slower overall...

<tuffty/>

overall ratios will be taller but this won't effect speedo or rear diff as its direct drive from the transfer box...

Actual gear ratios are fairly similar its the two final drives in the box that make the difference

TDi block uses the same bell housing configuration as 1.8t... boxes from a VR motor won't fit... 02M came in 5 and 6 speed... 5 speed is a 6 speed box with a gear missing essentially

TDi boxes will effect acceleration to a degree of course being a little slower overall...

<tuffty/>

That's exactly what i needed to know. Acceleration won't be an issue, it's the lower revs i'm looking for, even if they just may differ a bit.

Any ideas of which gearbox code i should be looking for?