TDi engine loss of power :-(

APL TDi

Reaction score
Hi all

I recnetly bought a 2004 A3 2.0Tdi sport, it is a manual and has done just under 70,000 miles.

I mentioned in the newbie section that my turbo whistles and wondered if this was normal?
I know they all whistle, but its difficult to judge what is worrying or not.

Any way on my way home from work, doing about 70mph I loose some power. It felt like the turbo had packed in, but no bang or black smoke. The engine then would not rev and the car would not accelerate.

So I sh*t myself, pull over and open the bonet. The engine was still running and it sounded fine. There were no warning lights in the cab, and when revved there were no nasty rattles, bangs or whines......

I turned it off and started it up again, and it worked fine the rest of the way home.

So my question after this long winded explination is, has this happened to anyone else? Are there any 2.0TDi experts out there that know what may be wrong????

Thanks in advance for the help

A!

Hi mate.

Welcome first of all :D

sounds like the car went into limp mode...this is to stop any major damage happening.

To find out what caused it, you will have to get the car on vagcom to see what fault code come up.

f you post where your from ,im sure someone will be able to help.

Turbo sounds normal as they seem to whistle a bit...

Sorry, forgot to say hi first.............HI!

I guess I will have to get down to a stealer to get it plugged in.

I am in Farncombe btw, just south of Guildford.

Thanks for the info mate

A!

Is it a bad sign when you no longer see the black puff out the back?

Had a problem like that on my golf which turned out to be the air mass sensor, The car would lose all power and wouldnt go over about 65 but once you switched off it reset and was fine! it has happended once on my A3 too

Thanks for the replys guys.

I guess I am going to wait and see if it does it again.

It was fine this morning, so fingers crossed....

A!

Thanks for the replys guys.

I guess I am going to wait and see if it does it again.

It was fine this morning, so fingers crossed....

A!

If its running fine it could just be a overboost fault which could happen when you drive fast when the car is cold..its not anything to worry about TBH. i had a Jetta 2.0 tdi as a hire car and with it not being my car, i just use to boot it all the time and it overboosted twice and went into limp mode...

Vagcom should have the fault code stored.

If your ever down manchester/liverpool, give me a shout and I'll scan your car as i have vagcom or im sure there should be someone near you that you could travel too :D

But if its not in limp mode now, you should be ok :D But to be on the safe side, i would just get it checked. It could be a list of things that caused the car to go into limp mode..

HTHs

i had this problem a week ago and its now getting a new turbo put in, mine came up with the overboost but i also had my egr unit leaking into the turbo to which didnt help.

Cheers guys

Hopefully its nothing...........

Guess I will just wait and see if it happens again.

A!

Hi guys,
This happened to me recently. was on the freeway and just lost all power. throttle response felt normal under about 1800rpm, but just no power when i out my foot down which made me think "turbo!". there were no warning lights, noises or any smoke. I pulled off the freeway, turned off, started again and everything was fine.
It happened again the other day, but only briefly and seemed to right itself after about 30 seconds.

Does the car store fault codes indefinitely? i.e. if I get it to someone with a vag com unit, will the be able to see what happened both times the car lost power?

anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? and the implications thereof. EGR? MAF? Fuel?

Thanks in advance for any help.
my car is out of warranty unfortunately - hence the questions :)