TDI 40, S-Line – 4 weeks, 3k miles, first impressions

Nick_B

Reaction score
So… 3000 miles down on everything from perfectly smooth French motorways, our more rutted back roads and most things in between! Here are my first thoughts….

So – What’s good…..

- Most of the time car feels effortless and in fact faster than it feels. More at home on motorways, however the adaptive suspension firms up well in Dynamic mode – it is not quite the ‘drivers car’ may last 3 series was (but in most other ways it is so much better).

- Engine is quiet and refined, impressive for a 4-pot diesel and a million miles away from the BMW which was rough and noisy.

- I was concerned that 19” wheels would result in a hard and uncomfortable ride. This is not the case and whilst the ride is firm, it is well damped. Possibly the adaptive damping improves things – I tend to leave it in Auto and most of the time it feels fine.

- I am new to a DSG box – my everyday cars have always been manual although I have driven a variety of auto boxes from the current BMW 8 speed ZF through to the 4 speeder on my 1989 Mercedes 560 SEC. I am really impressed with the DSG box, in most cases the changes are completely imperceptible and most of the time box does exactly what you would expect.

- Fit and finish, along with cabin material quality is excellent and certainly streets ahead of my previous BMW. The seats are superbly comfortable, and I can cover several hundred miles without the backside tinges I have become used to. It really is a nice place to be.

- Matrix lights are amazing – so much better than everything I have had before. The system works perfectly, and I have never had any ‘flashes’ from oncoming drivers. Really pleased I chose these.

- Tech and Satnav works well and is intuitive. I did not choose the tech pack.

- MPG is around the 45 mark, by BMW was closer to 55 but am thinking this may improve with a few more miles.

And what could be better

- Could be quicker off the line, you need to take this into consideration (especially when pulling out of junctions). It sometimes feels reluctant to change down without big throttle inputs but at least you can switch to manual. Lastly, I sometimes notice a slight ‘judder’ when shifting from D2 to 1 (as you approach a standstill).

- Stop / start if fine for when you are ‘trickling’ along gently in stop / start traffic. But when you need to move off the line quickly it is utterly terrible, and I would go as far as to say it is quite dangerous. The box is not the quickest of the line to start with and this is the last thing the system needs. Going quickly from the brake to the accelerator results in what feels like clutch slip and it is very difficult to control the ‘off the line’ acceleration. I tend to knock the box into Dynamic when approaching roundabouts / junctions or simply turn the system off – is anyone aware of a way to disable it permanently?

- The parking sensors sometimes have a mind of their own and sometimes trigger when driving in stop / start traffic for no apparent reason.

- No apparent way of checking how much AdBlue is in the tank until the system warns you that level if getting low.

- An annoying buzz / resonance coming from somewhere around the passenger side air vent / ‘A’ pillar. This only happens when cruising on certain road surfaces (the old ‘concrete’ section of the M25 seems to set it off). It is a minor issue but given the rest of the car is totally devoid of buzzes / rattles it is annoying me. Any ideas welcome as I would like to get this one sorted.

All in all – really pleased. In most areas feels a real ‘step up’ from my 3 series.

Reactions: cuke2u, pauly69 and liveseytowers
Nice review, I guess you have air suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review, I guess you have air suspension?

I have adaptive suspension - I don't think actual air suspension is available on the A4

Reactions: And1
My bad, thought I was in the Q5 forum ;)

Imho stop / start is "designed" for manual cars; in the wifes manual S3 it does not "stop" until you are stopped and take the car out of gear. In an auto I agree it is dangerous and always turned off as soon as I get in the car.

TX.

It is easy enough to drive around it though. Yes I noticed it at first but once I adapted to it I can't say the start stop has ever really been an issue..

For disabling stop/start - I tend to pull the gear selector down to activate sport mode if I know I need a quick get away. It’s a quick / easy way without flicking to manual or disabling stop/start entirely.

Parking sensors I get too, I think it’s clashing with other cars sensors. I always get it with BMW SUVs in front of me strangely!

Glad you’re enjoying it!

Coming from a manual car with stop start I did feel there was much more control on when it occurred. With the DSG box the brake pedal pressure can determine when it happens or not, which is not always ideal in modern traffic and requires more thinking ahead.
I also often flip it into Dynamic for roundabouts and junctions sometimes too.
Don't think it can be permanently switched off.
Yes my parking sensors do the same thing, trigger sometimes when the vehicle ahead is not near enough. Seems to happen more with vehicles with taller flatter rears like vans etc.

Not surprised at your comments about the DSG being hesitant/slow off the mark at roundabouts and junctions. That observation has been made many times previously with varying degrees of force, including a call for a class action against VAG for the dangerous gearbox. We on the forum have mostly learnt to live with it, by slipping into sport mode, as you mention, and by adjusting our driving to allow for the delay.

I’ve had my Avant for just over 2 years, have covered 18,000 miles and I absolutely love it. At the moment I’m thinking about a warranty extension when it reaches 3 years as I fancy keeping this one for at least 4 or 5 years before I think about changing.

A couple of weeks ago we spent a few days in Pembrokeshire. The drive from Hampshire was 218 miles and with natural breaks took about 5 hours. The car was an absolute delight and made the journeys to and fro and our running around once there very easy. I can forgive the car its faults when I find it so comfortable and great to drive.

Reactions: Terminator x and jds_sg
Coming from a manual car with stop start I did feel there was much more control on when it occurred. With the DSG box the brake pedal pressure can determine when it happens or not, which is not always ideal in modern traffic and requires more thinking ahead.
I also often flip it into Dynamic for roundabouts and junctions sometimes too.
Don't think it can be permanently switched off.
Yes my parking sensors do the same thing, trigger sometimes when the vehicle ahead is not near enough. Seems to happen more with vehicles with taller flatter rears like vans etc.
Or just quick blip of the throttle, you only have to apply light pressure but it's enough to fire the engine back up without accelerating the car forwards...

For disabling stop/start - I tend to pull the gear selector down to activate sport mode if I know I need a quick get away. It’s a quick / easy way without flicking to manual or disabling stop/start entirely.

Parking sensors I get too, I think it’s clashing with other cars sensors. I always get it with BMW SUVs in front of me strangely!

Glad you’re enjoying it!
Re the parking sensors it's not interference - by default they're set to automatically activate at low speeds, so they beep if anything gets close to you in traffic, which I find very annoying.

You can turn the setting off - activate the parking sensors and open the menu (right Mmi button). Untick "automatically activate" and enjoy the peace and quiet

Re the parking sensors it's not interference - by default they're set to automatically activate at low speeds, so they beep if anything gets close to you in traffic, which I find very annoying.

You can turn the setting off - activate the parking sensors and open the menu (right Mmi button). Untick "automatically activate" and enjoy the peace and quiet

It’s whilst stationary I get it. I can be stationary with all other cars around me stationary also, then it will spontaneously flatline like something is touching my bumper then stop instantaneously without any actual movement.

I like the convenience of auto-activation for when I pull onto driveway so just the occasional time it does ‘conflict’ does not bother me.

Mine does this all the time in traffic as well, seems to be normal behaviour.

My way of thinking is, just like having pre sense set to early, a few false alarms every so often is worth it if it stops me having a bump one day. For example I could be rolling slightly forward/back in traffic, hearing the sensors beep at me will be a wake up call for me to react

The Audi pre-sense is a whole new mine field!
I set mine to the late setting as I had several times where it false triggered entirely out of the blue scaring the s**t out of me.

It will trigger the sound, however if it detects you made an avoidence response then it will not apply the brakes. But the majority of owners seem to be more comfortable with it set to late...

On build quality and finish,imo the B6 A4 runs rings round my B9.I think of all the cars ive had none come near the granite feel and quality materials of the B6,

Compared to other cars from the 80's maybe, very mk3 mondeo'ish though:

Autowpru audi a4 20 fsi sedan uk spec 5
Interior Mondeo Mk3 Trend

I used to have a 2000 model B5 1.8T quattro sport. Brilliant car and rock solid - I kept it up to 280,000 miles, after which I had a succession of 2 BMW 3 series. Back to Audi now!

Reactions: holly35
Compared to other cars from the 80's maybe, very mk3 mondeo'ish though:
How you can possibly compare the Mondeo to the B6 in terms of quality and even style is beyond me.I can see youve never had a B6 .In fact i would gladly trade all the electronic gadgetry and gizmos for a return the this calming simpler style.With real quality .I have found it to be a more relaxing place to be than the B9.Its the quality of the materials that make it superior.
My B6 left me after 10 years and 120k with a vault like silent interior and no rattles,buzzing ,squeaks etc Unlike the B9 (unlike probably most of todays offerings)

View attachment 175806 View attachment 175807

I used to have a 2000 model B5 1.8T quattro sport. Brilliant car and rock solid - I kept it up to 280,000 miles, after which I had a succession of 2 BMW 3 series. Back to Audi now!
Ahh real Audi quality !
I think todays plastics have been recycled so much its lead to the downward quality of even "luxury"brands.

It will trigger the sound, however if it detects you made an avoidence response then it will not apply the brakes. But the majority of owners seem to be more comfortable with it set to late...

I need to investigate the settings on this - on a couple of occasions I have had the 'pre-sense' warning and sound for absolutely no reason at all (was not even close to another vehicle)!

Occassionaly nearby hedges, or pedestrians has triggered mine. It doesn't matter if you're near to one or not as if it detects your trajectory means you are heading towards a collision it'll warn you either visually or with a short sharp application of the brakes. Page 139 of my manual..

Reactions: Nick_B
Occassionaly nearby hedges, or pedestrians has triggered mine. It doesn't matter if you're near to one or not as if it detects your trajectory means you are heading towards a collision it'll warn you either visually or with a short sharp application of the brakes. Page 139 of my manual..

Thanks - will check this out. Have not yet had the sharp application of the brakes - I think I will abstain from testing the system for real.....