TDI 170 Reviews + bluefin vs 170

Orothon

Reaction score
Has anyone seen any reviews in magazines or on websites of the tdi 170. I ask as I am interested in how it compares to a 140 that has been blue-finned to about 170. Does anyone know how they comnpare? Has anyone put a blue-finned 140 against a 170?

I don't think the 170 map is available (yet).

SamDude said:
I don't think the 170 map is available (yet).

I think he's asking the difference between a re-mappped TDi 140 and a standard TDi 170.

That how I read it anyway.

I'd definately be interested to read an informed article.:icon_thumright:

coupe-se said:
I think he's asking the difference between a re-mappped TDi 140 and a standard TDi 170.

That how I read it anyway.

I'd definately be interested to read an informed article.:icon_thumright:

That's correct. :icon_thumright:

Eventually will be looking to buy an s-line but unsure whether should stretch myself to a 170 or spend a bit less and get a 140 and blue-fin.

Of course, if they ever do a blue-fin for the 170 then that could make the decision a bit easier!

Orothon said:
That's correct. :icon_thumright:

Eventually will be looking to buy an s-line but unsure whether should stretch myself to a 170 or spend a bit less and get a 140 and blue-fin.

Of course, if they ever do a blue-fin for the 170 then that could make the decision a bit easier!

Resale will be a lot better on the 170.

There's a review of the Golf GT 170 DPF in this months Volkswagen Driver. Think Neil Birkett particular liked the 170, esp the fact that the torque curve reached its plateau earlier and held it there.

Not seen a review of remapped 140 - but expect that the figs should be a little better than a stock 170.

I had no problems dispatching a ***** 170 S-line driver the other night, he obviously spotted my tailpipes and thought 'i'll just take this 140 out..' look on his face was priceless lol! :)

I actively sought a 140 over the 170 when looking for my used A3 last year, my main reasons were...

Lower purchase price and availability of the 140..
I'd planned to remap either model but had read up on a few 'horror' stories regarding remapped 170's blocking the DPF and setting on fire, blowing ECU's etc, hence the reason why most 170 tuning is on hold for now, no such problems with the 140..
Very 'un-diesel' like fuel economy with the 170 it seems, my 140 will do 48mpg all day long even with the Bluefin turned on..

Had my 140 S-line for 4 months now and absolutely love it!, Bluefin adds another dimension to the car and is worth every penny imo :icon_thumright:

Here's my Bluefin dyno plot..

Superchips-1.jpg

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/beddie/Superchips.jpg"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/beddie/Superchips.jpg"][/URL][/URL]

My advice to the OP would depend on whether you're buying new or not.

If new, then go for the 170 as I personally wouldn't want to be remapping a brand new car.

If used then go for the 140 as you won't find many 170s on the used market yet.

Beddie said:
I had no problems dispatching a ***** 170 S-line driver the other night, he obviously spotted my tailpipes and thought 'i'll just take this 140 out..' look on his face was priceless lol! :)
Hehe, I had the opposite a couple of weeks back when some ***** tart in a Mk5 Golf 140 tried it on away from the lights :)

also bear in mind the 170 is a completely different engine - it is much more refined than the 140 and really does make the 140 feel like a right bag of spanners - i know i can compare back to back my folks have a 140 SEAT ALTEA which felt nice... until i got my 170. If i were you id just get the power you want in the first place rather than messing with stuff unnecessarily. Bear in mind there will be a chip for the 170 soon i would imagine and it will be 210bhp+

if you going to get a 170TDi then you might as well go for a 2.0TFSI seeing as the MPG of the 170TDi aint that good compared to the 2.0TFSI!

Thanks for the advice. Probably will go for 140 as I am buying used and also cover 300 miles a week going to work and back (and that's just 2 days a week) so I'll need the fuel economy. Just got to get a wedding out of the way first as my girlfriend seems to think that that's more important. :icon_thumright:

stop kidding yourself! the fuel economy of a diesel will always be better than an equivalent petrol - yes they can be the same if you drive the petrol soft and the diesel hard but then you are going to be much slower! drive them the same and there will be a difference... oh and diesels hold there money a lot better than petrols, are cheaper to insure, are less likely to be stolen and are cheaper to tax.

steve184 said:
also bear in mind the 170 is a completely different engine - it is much more refined than the 140 and really does make the 140 feel like a right bag of spanners - i know i can compare back to back my folks have a 140 SEAT ALTEA which felt nice... until i got my 170. If i were you id just get the power you want in the first place rather than messing with stuff unnecessarily. Bear in mind there will be a chip for the 170 soon i would imagine and it will be 210bhp+

I was given a 2.0TDI 170 a few weeks back as a loaner, and was very surprised just how good it was. Performance every bit as good as my 2.0T, and very smooth and refined.

Really, did it not sound like a Massey Ferguson then? Which ever way you dice it the dervs are noisy and agricultural

Modern diesels are very good indeed... Just not my cup of tea! Prefer petrols and has nothing to do with power / economy, etc... just a personal favourite...

Pedro

RobinA3 said:
if you going to get a 170TDi then you might as well go for a 2.0TFSI seeing as the MPG of the 170TDi aint that good compared to the 2.0TFSI!
Depends on how you drive the TDI. I've been trying to adapt my technique with the DSG/170 and got 57.8mpg over a 120 mile round trip with average speed of 58mph.
That said if I drive with my brain in automatic, the car gets low 40's.

170's knock the spots off 140's.

I agree. I had a 2.0TDI-140 for nearly 3 years and now have a new 2.0TDI-170 and it's a much better engine. It's not quite as good on fuel consumption as the 140 but it has a lot more power and is much smoother and quieter.

I've just done a 400mile round trip to Somerset in my new 170, a journey I've also done many times in the 140 and it did feel much more relaxed. The car had only done 1000miles when I started out and the overall consumption according to the DIS was 43.7mpg. Most of the time was on dual-carriageway or motorway. On the M4 and M5 I was cruising at around 80-85mph most of the time, so although the consumption is a little down on the 140 I am quite happy and the engine has only done 1400 miles so it will probably get better.