TDI 170 & DPF delete = MOT pass

jrsteeve

Reaction score
Just thought i'd pass it on, mine was tested last week and passed with no problems on the smoke test. Myth = busted.

Good work mate.
Although it will not fail on emission tests, there is talk about a visual inspection in the future, and this is where you will get failed on. But if you know a guy that does MOT's, then Happy days!

They'd have to take a blow torch to the DPF holder bit to check that! Plus the remap is software, so again not much to look for.

I've spoken to an MOT tester mate and the visual check is if the DPF is completely removed, i removed mine cut it open then gutted it carefully and welded it back up. it took quite a few hours as its a Quattro but is well worth it and it only cost an extra £50 on top of my custom map cost to remove the regen coding.
Its well worth it and still looks stock unless you remove quite a bit of stuff like the driveshaft and driveshaft heat shield to see the weld.

Does it make much difference to power / MPG?

JRS, where did you get your delete done? cheers.

Done at BVR automotive near Stafford, had a few issues with a duff sensor shortly after it was done but it's been fine now since November when it was done. The main difference is that it revs quite a bit higher (it's the s-tronic) and generally seems quite a bit quicker. Can't say i've noticed a difference in mpg, hadn't owned it long before it was deleted as the dpf blocked up about a week or 2 into ownership (duff sensors!!!!). If it helps i went from Manchester to Plymouth and back on a single tank, still had a little left too.

The original piping/casing was kept, only the dpf removed, then welded back up so it looks standard ;)

Just thought i'd pass it on, mine was tested last week and passed with no problems on the smoke test. Myth = busted.

Good to hear I had mine remapped by R-Tech a month ago and they did the full DPF removal (cut in half, innards removed, welded back up and replaced). Map improved it from 170 to 205 and the torque is stonking. Taking a bit of getting used to but is great fun - wheelspin in 4th in the wet if I lose concentration!