Tank system malfunction! Contact workshop.

BigjoeC

Reaction score
Happened about 3 weeks ago when I apparently over filled my tank. Going by similar issues when I googled the issue.

Happened again yesterday and I only filled my tank to just over half full, which makes me think the sender unit id faulty and on the way out.

Anyone suffered from the same issue, and is it a lengthy and expensive job to replace the fuel tank sender unit?

Audi A6 2.7 tdi Quattro.

:)

Mine showed this twice on Saturday and 2 mins into the journey fuel gauge returned and so did miles left.
Audi A6 C6 hasn't shown since.
Will plug the laptop in when I get a min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes mine had this issue. Audi warranty took it and they had to take the fuel tank out to replace the sensor.

If it is the fuel senders then yes, replaced both fuel senders, not a hard job as having three hands would be useful. Do a search for replacement of fuel senders (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/120142-A6-Quattro-Fuel-Senders) and will detail what you need to do. Basically remove rear bench, unscrew plate cover, unscrew round lid and pull up your fuel swirl pot to get at the fuel sender(s). I replaced both but you can try to fault fine on each one to find which or if both have a fault.

Reactions: BigjoeC
Mine hasn't shown since then, no doubt it will rear its ugly head again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep reared its ugly head again....

Well my local garage said that the vcds would not tell them which sender was at fault. The reckoned one senser cost about £150 and the other one costs £500 +

Is there any truth in this?

Two new fuel senders installed and the error has now gone! Fingers crossed it's finally sorted. #:)