Talk to me about ..... (building a track car)

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
So the S4 has now gone and been replaced with a 15 plate 530d which does everything I need it to for the road, it's quick enough, economical enough and well specced.

But I miss the S4, I have an E36 compact that I'm about to build into a track car, I have a 2.8 six pot, cams, inlet, LSD, etc but I'm now thinking is this what I want to build?? Previously I had a mk2 Golf 16v which I build and loved it. I'm now thinking of an S3 (1.8T) or I can get a TT 225 cheaper. Which would be better as a fast road / track car, are they the same underneath? Don't want to spend mega fortunes.

A well spec'd E36 compact would be an excellent track car, you see them quite commonly on track days. I would prefer the coupe as it has a longer wheelbase but no biggy. The VAG 1.8t will be faster off the mark in comparison but overall the BMW will feel more comfortable around the bends and in my opinion theres not much between them, both quite capable cars with plenty of tuning potential.

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo
S3 will be heavy with the 4wd and the s3 seats weigh a ton so they will have to go depends what you want rear wheel drive, 4wd, or fwd, tt,a3/s3 can all get decent power from a stage 2 or even hybrid turbo with most parts coming up 2nd fairly cheap compared to new

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo and Sandra
So the S4 has now gone and been replaced with a 15 plate 530d which does everything I need it to for the road, it's quick enough, economical enough and well specced.

But I miss the S4, I have an E36 compact that I'm about to build into a track car, I have a 2.8 six pot, cams, inlet, LSD, etc but I'm now thinking is this what I want to build?? Previously I had a mk2 Golf 16v which I build and loved it. I'm now thinking of an S3 (1.8T) or I can get a TT 225 cheaper. Which would be better as a fast road / track car, are they the same underneath? Don't want to spend mega fortunes.
Need something lighter. Mx5 1.8 or Renaultsport clio 172

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, I suppose I should at least try and chuck the BMW around a track before making a decision.

Reactions: b2
Friend of mine has an E46 325ti Compact track car, much lighter bodyshell compared to coupe.

Its such a fun car for not alot of money at all!

For the amateur occasional track day i wouldnt waste your time or money chasing horsepower. Keep it cheap, simple & fun. Thats speaking from 17 years of experience in building, owning and racing cars competitively and as an enthusiast.

OK, so I didn't take my own advice!! The Compact is now gone and is being replaced with a 2002 TT 225. A mate has built a big turboed 1.8T and stuck it in a Golf4 4-motion shell. I quite like it hence the move across. If there is any interest I'll start a build thread somewhere. Aiming for 300bhp this year, 400 after that then ultimately 500. (My mates Golf is 500+!!)

I wouldn’t bother aiming for 300 and then going for for next year for 300 you will need a hydrid turbo new manifold downpipe and have to ditch all that to aim for 400 go straight for the 4/500 and save yourself some money

You're probably right!! Initial plans are a FMIC, air filter, exhaust and remap. Then engine build and big turbo!!

Reactions: Tj 0785
Personally that’s what I’d do have a bit of fun with it before you go all out with it should see you around 280 if you go stage 2 , You can find engines cheap enough if you want to keep yours on road and rebuild at your own pace or even forged engines and big turbo kits (s3 breaker always seems to have these in) for a fraction of the cost of building yourself