Taking wheels off to clean them

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
This is going to sound like a really daft question, but after taking my wheels off to do a proper detail of them, are they perfectly safe having been hand tightened only, or should I get them tightened properly?

The only time I’ve ever removed wheels is to replace a punctured one, in which case they’ve always gone in to a garage for a new tyre anyhow and been properly tightened.

Reactions: Jimbob76
I'd be taking them to a friendly garage and getting them torqued up to the right setting.

Reactions: martin1984
Erm, buy a torque wrench...:blink:

Reactions: alpesh26, Jimbob76, martin1984 and 2 others
Erm, buy a torque wrench...:blink:

Yeah I probably should but will only be a one off job as they’ll be maintained properly going forwards. Still, they’re cheap enough.

Is it a 17mm socket that’s needed?

Reactions: Jimbob76, NevMan and 45bvtc
Yeah I probably should but will only be a one off job as they’ll be maintained properly going forwards. Still, they’re cheap enough.

Yes, 1 x 17mm socket and tighten to 120NM. Wheel bolts are way too important not to - and I for one would never trust a garage torque wrench or anyone else for that matter to tighten my wheel bolts but that's me

Reactions: Jimbob76 and Bristle Hound

Socket is cheap but torque wrench a bit more, but worth having IMHO, like a decent jack!

You'll soon know if they are not tight enough as you will hear and feel clunking noises [apparently]

:whistle2:

Reactions: BRISTOL86 and NevMan
Socket is cheap but torque wrench a bit more, but worth having IMHO, like a decent jack!

Yes I’d already planned on getting a good jack so may as well add a wrench to the shopping list!!

Reactions: Jimbob76 and NevMan
I'd also add a set of wheel woolies to your shopping list, save taking them off again in the future...

Reactions: CHEZ, NevMan, RS3 S. and 1 other person
I'd also add a set of wheel woolies to your shopping list, save taking them off again in the future...

Already have them, and have done the best I can with the wheels on but I want to get them off to remove the rest and then ceramic coat.

Reactions: Jimbob76 and NevMan
Already have them, and have done the best I can with the wheels on but I want to get them off to remove the rest and then ceramic coat.

Yes, good shout ceramic coating them. I cleaned and coated my summers when they came off late last year.

May I respectfully suggest BRISTOL86 with items I use now and have used for many years:

Trolley Jack Torque wrench Socket

Would have done this earlier but stuck in a chemotherapy ward for most of today's daylight hours...

Reactions: S32B, scotty76, B5NUT and 4 others
That's great, thanks @45bvtc !

Can't afford the jack right now so will have to make do with the free one for now, but will grab the wrench and socket!

Best wishes with your chemo mate.

Reactions: NevMan and 45bvtc
May I respectfully suggest BRISTOL86 with items I use now and have used for many years:

View attachment 177659 View attachment 177660 View attachment 177661

Would have done this earlier but stuck in a chemotherapy ward for most of today's daylight hours...

Great suggestions - been meaning to look into getting a decent jack (the one supplied with the car is for emergency use IMO) and a torque wrench. So thanks for posting. Be well my friend.

@BRISTOL86 - ceramic coating wheels is on my 'to do list' this summer as well. At the same time I'm intending to clean off the rust from the wheel hubs (for some reason my front off-side isn't great, others aren't too bad), and re-paint with hammerite. Worth doing at the same time. Others have done this (I'm pretty sure @jassyo06 has) - I'll see if I can find the thread and link it on here mate.

Be sure to take some pics and post 'em along with a write up of your ceramic coating venture :thumbs up:

Reactions: BRISTOL86 and 45bvtc
[QUOTE="45bvtc,
Would have done this earlier but stuck in a chemotherapy ward for most of today's daylight hours... [/QUOTE]

****** hell.
What a guy.
I salute you

Reactions: 45bvtc
[QUOTE="45bvtc,

****** hell.
What a guy.
I salute you[/QUOTE]

Thanks CHEZ but I'm in a supporting roll only as its rs3copilot getting the chemo every 2-weeks - and for 3-years now, I'm just there to help, making sure to be on hand... :friends:

Last edited:
Reactions: B5NUT, BRISTOL86, Toonsoldier91 and 5 others
****** hell.
What a guy.
I salute you

Thanks CHEZ but I'm in a supporting roll only as its rs3copilot getting the chemo every 2-weeks - and for 3-years now, I'm just there to help, making sure to be on hand... :friends:[/QUOTE]

Kindest regards and thanks for ALL the 'likes' as for sure 3-years ago had someone said 'cancer' was due to hit both of us we'd have laughed in their faces; 3-years on however the experience is somewhat different: here at our ASN Stafford Audi meet in February 2015 (pre cancer) having just exercised the RS7 with the RS5, RS6, S1, SQ5, and the magnificent S8 to go:

RS7 and Judith and mexx

Make sure and enjoy every day, and if that's with an Audi or two all the better...

Last edited:
Reactions: S32B, DW81, scotty76 and 2 others
Thanks CHEZ but I'm in a supporting roll only as its rs3copilot getting the chemo every 2-weeks - and for 3-years now, I'm just there to help, making sure to be on hand... :friends:

Kindest regards and thanks for ALL the 'likes' as for sure 3-years ago had someone said 'cancer' was due to hit both of us we'd have laughed in their faces; 3-years on however the experience is somewhat different: here at our ASN Stafford Audi meet in February 2015 (pre cancer) having just exercised the RS7 with the RS5, RS6, S1, SQ5, and the magnificent S8 to go:

Make sure and enjoy every day, and if that's with an Audi or two all the better...
[/QUOTE]
@45bvtc - Is that just a pose, or have you splashed on a RS7?

Reactions: 45bvtc
@45bvtc - Is that just a pose, or have you splashed on a RS7?

Just giving the RS7 a little exercise, q5man.

Stafford Audi did kindly offer to widen my garage doors so we could have one as a keeper but we decided to stay with the RS3 + others. Have to say, mind, that that twin-turbo V8 is for me by far the most exciting engine Audi produce, next our 5-pot TTRS/RS3, and then the 286bhp V6 dioesel - love 'em all...

Oh, and our supercharged/turbocharged 1.4 A1 motor isn't bad either...:racer: