Taking paint correction up a level ?

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hello chaps.

As many of you already know I was daft enough to buy a brilliant black A3. Great car , looks fab but is a total PITA to look after the paint finish.

I've learnt absolutely masses in this section of the forum and without wanting to sound crass , think I've done a pretty good job to date.

However once you start you never stop and strive for a better finish . To my horror a couple of fine scratches nearly the length of the passenger side of the Sportback presented themselves the other day.

I'd noticed them ages ago , think they are from previous owner but at any rate the sun was shining on that side of the car and there they were . Honestly thought I'd polished then out . Not happy and know feeling bugged by them.

Question is this .
I'm considering doing some wet sanding to get rid of them and then polish once again. If I were to b so this what would be the recommendation for grade of sandpaper to use ?

Is this too drastic a step , should I maybe go with say Menzemma 400 heavy cut compound .

Also considering a new DA, saw a Das 21 on UF the other day for £180 . 21mm throw . Any thoughts on that ?

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

I'm by no means an expert but if the scratches aren't deep, wet sanding is very extreme and could make things worse.
My first port of call would be trying a polish, something with quite high cutting to see if it can get it out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotty75
Forget the DAS 6 Pro plus with the 21mm throw, bigger throw =more surface area it will cover faster than a shorter throw machine will, it won't correct the paint better

So my advice= 2 stage correction
1.Buy one "Yellow"Hex Logic Quantum heavy cutting pad
2. Buy the best cutting compound on the market =
Sonax cut max 250 ml bottle stage 1 done
Then go over the affected panels again with Menzerna 3800 250 ml bottle using a Green Hex Logic Quantum pad....make sure the hex logic pads you get are the tapered "QUANTUM" type as these work far better with the DA=less wobble = more control , the standard Hex Logic pads ie not tapered are more for the rotary machine
DSC 07203

Reactions: OCDaveS4, Scotty75 and NevMan
Forget the DAS 6 Pro plus with the 21mm throw, bigger throw =more surface area it will cover faster than a shorter throw machine will, it won't correct the paint better

So my advice= 2 stage correction
1.Buy one "Yellow"Hex Logic Quantum heavy cutting pad
2. Buy the best cutting compound on the market =
Sonax cut max 250 ml bottle stage 1 done
Then go over the affected panels again with Menzerna 3800 250 ml bottle using a Green Hex Logic Quantum pad....make sure the hex logic pads you get are the tapered "QUANTUM" type as these work far better with the DA=less wobble = more control , the standard Hex Logic pads ie not tapered are more for the rotary machine
View attachment 182870
Top man @jassyo06.
Sounds like good advice as always. It's peeing me right off , can't unsee those scratches .

The wet sanding method I've seen done in a number of detailing videos but I'm under no illusion that it's a big step up and obviously not the easiest method . However those albeit fine scratches can't stay on my paint .

Looks like I've got some more shipping to do . So what's the reccomendation for replacing my halfrauds DA ? Bare in mind I can't stretch to a Flex right now. . Das6 Pro ?

Thanks again for the advice pal

By the way , that image you added didn't show up for me .....

Last edited:
Top man @jassyo06.
Sounds like good advice as always. It's peeing me right off , can't unsee those scratches .

The wet sanding method I've seen done in a number of detailing videos but I'm under no illusion that it's a big step up and obviously not the easiest method . However those albeit fine scratches can't stay on my paint .

Looks like I've got some more shipping to do . So what's the reccomendation for replacing my halfrauds DA ? Bare in mind I can't stretch to a Flex right now. . Das6 Pro ?

Thanks again for the advice pal

By the way , that image you added didn't show up for me .....

DAS 6 Pro plus with the 15 mm throw from In2detaling mate

Reactions: NevMan and Scotty75
Hello chaps.

As many of you already know I was daft enough to buy a brilliant black A3. Great car , looks fab but is a total PITA to look after the paint finish.

I've learnt absolutely masses in this section of the forum and without wanting to sound crass , think I've done a pretty good job to date.

However once you start you never stop and strive for a better finish . To my horror a couple of fine scratches nearly the length of the passenger side of the Sportback presented themselves the other day.

I'd noticed them ages ago , think they are from previous owner but at any rate the sun was shining on that side of the car and there they were . Honestly thought I'd polished then out . Not happy and know feeling bugged by them.

Question is this .
I'm considering doing some wet sanding to get rid of them and then polish once again. If I were to b so this what would be the recommendation for grade of sandpaper to use ?

Is this too drastic a step , should I maybe go with say Menzemma 400 heavy cut compound .

Also considering a new DA, saw a Das 21 on UF the other day for £180 . 21mm throw . Any thoughts on that ?

Oh dear - I’m the same - see a fine surface scratch and it bugs the hell outta me!! As you say, it’s that direct sun on the dark paint (Navarra in my case). Look forward to hearing how you get on mate.

I'll update the thread with photos and what not. Itching to get at it with the new DA.

Reactions: A4A4, NevMan and OCDaveS4
I'll update the thread with photos and what not. Itching to get at it with the new DA.

Remember....try and evade that big Hot Yella thing in the Sky....lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Scotty75 and NevMan
Oh dear - I’m the same - see a fine surface scratch and it bugs the hell outta me!! As you say, it’s that direct sun on the dark paint (Navarra in my case). Look forward to hearing how you get on mate.

Dont be SHY mate....BE....ALL THE MAN...YOU CAN BE....and go for it.....especially with a paint colour like Navarra Blue............anybody that's passionate about detailing should have a Dual Action polisher in their kit............You'll get a full Das 6 Pro Plus kit for £195...or less with a 10% ASNET discount from in2detailing.co.uk...

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and NevMan
Dont be SHY mate....BE....ALL THE MAN...YOU CAN BE....and go for it.....especially with a paint colour like Navarra Blue............anybody that's passionate about detailing should have a Dual Action polisher in their kit............You'll get a full Das 6 Pro Plus kit for £195...or less with a 10% ASNET discount from in2detailing.co.uk...

@jassyo06, you need to be on commission

Seriously Dave, that Navarra will seriously pop when you DA

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and Jassyo06
Didn't think Imran allowed discount code in machine polishers ?

Reactions: NevMan

Commission for What.... Giving folks a pep talk... Any Rodney Trotter can use a dual action machine polisher as you should know lol

Don’t think he does, but if you call him you could wangle one
Too late for me . I'm happy though . Polish , compound , pad and DA for £186 down from £198 with the discount code that at @mike99 gave me .

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
Commission for What.... Giving folks a pep talk... Any Rodney Trotter can use a dual action machine polisher as you should know lol
Ouch ......... Del boooyyyy

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
Ha ha thanks guys

I’m taking one step at at time (OK so I love BSD lol!!) and am painting hubs, C5 on wheels, and looking forward to @q5man polish that’s on the way (thanks mate).

The neighbours and missus think I’ve gone a bit mad (what with the snowfoam and Vyair!) so I might start think about a DA over the summer - if it’s cloudy lol !

This is a seriously good forum - really want to thank you guys - and lots of humour too!!

Reactions: Sandra, Jimbob76, Jassyo06 and 4 others
Ribbed , treated with Korossol. Snow foamed and washed ) dried . 2 passed with Sonax cut max and 1 pass with Menzerna 3800. Yellow and green CG Quantum pads .

Only did the passenger side as it was out of the sun and to be honest took bleedin ages . Really need to invest in an led inspection light as I'm unable to tell if I'm totally satisfied with the result ....... though there is definite improvement .
3426eb3160711ff27cef6164d7dd53fa.jpg
4c55950d8c17f2617f48e9afe0fd345c.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound, NevMan, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Ribbed , treated with Korossol. Snow foamed and washed ) dried . 2 passed with Sonax cut max and 1 pass with Menzerna 3800. Yellow and green CG Quantum pads .

Only did the passenger side as it was out of the sun and to be honest took bleedin ages . Really need to invest in an led inspection light as I'm unable to tell if I'm totally satisfied with the result ....... though there is definite improvement .
6ca7ec65e42fc403f3e2b64e39bd8e43.jpg

Looks brilliant mate !!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Scotty75
Looks stunning mate,but being hyper critical It needs a very slow loving pass again with Menzerna,Sonax cut max is very aggressive

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan

6ca7ec65e42fc403f3e2b64e39bd8e43.jpg

Scotty, looking absolutely ace mate Yep, those doors and sills are a back breaker

Reactions: Scotty75 and Jassyo06
Looks stunning mate,but being hyper critical It needs a very slow loving pass again with Menzerna,Sonax cut max is very aggressive
You know what mate , I'm inclined to agree . As I say , took some time . Amazing how quickly four hours disappear !

The Sonax Cut Max is on another level , as is the Das6 Pro Plus. First off , I need the right light to reveal if the scratches are totally gone but there is improvement and the tools and products helped massively.

The Das is just great to use , such a step up from my Halfords DA. Felt odd only polishing one side of the car , well actually one side and the hatch as I de-badged the A3 and TDI logos . Quick pass with Menzerna and green CGQ....... Sorted

Can you recommend any led lighting @jassyo06 ?

@X3man , you're not wrong about pthe door sills ! To be honest the shape and contours of the s-line doors are quite a challenge to get right .

Reactions: NevMan

@Scotty75 - A3 looking fab buddy ! :thumbs up:

A Cree head torch from Amazon will do ye mate @around £20 bangers

I have a 3M paint correction light and its got an aircooled fan inside its like having the sun in your hands once you start looking at paint marks you will end up respraying the whole car LOL