Tailgaters

using lights/horn is begging for someone to stay in the lane and be like hmp... im not moveing for this guy because he flashed me attitude.

i just go left a lane and flaw past them so they know there too slow for the lane. most of the time they move back over after

great until they turn into you

I think he's saying that people don't expect cars to be undertaking them, regardless of their speed. So if you undertake them and they then pull in to the lane, you will get hit.

Speaking of undertaking MLM's how many clockwise orbits have you managed before they cotton on? So we are clear that's:

1) Undertake
2) Move to lane 3 and allow them to undertake you
3) Move back into lane 1 and undertake them again

That counts as one orbit. Best I've managed clockwise is one orbit. Going anti-clock is too easy. 10 orbits plus easily achievable.

Tell me I'm not the only one playing this game?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chop. and Audi Bairn
Speaking of undertaking MLM's how many clockwise orbits have you managed before they cotton on? So we are clear that's:

1) Undertake
2) Move to lane 3 and allow them to undertake you
3) Move back into lane 1 and undertake them again

That counts as one orbit. Best I've managed clockwise is one orbit. Going anti-clock is too easy. 10 orbits plus easily achievable.

Tell me I'm not the only one playing this game?

Haha but undertaking to over take a lane hogger means that I'm probably going way faster than them to orbit me

The orbit game only works if you're driving at a slow pace. I always play on a Sunday evening when driving back from Kent to Reading on the M25. Keeps me entertained and alert whilst doing boring motorway miles.

What are you saying?

that by undertaking you are breaking the law and wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they hit you...

Rule 267
Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

• check your mirrors
  • take time to judge the speeds correctly
  • make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
  • take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
  • remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
  • ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
  • be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance.
Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Personally I regard my safety and that of my passengers higher in my list of priorities than my ability to get from A to B quickly

At the end of the day other drivers cause annoyance, be it tailgating, undertaking, talking on the phone, indicating to go round corners - but I prefer to maintain a good driving standard by not letting other's bad behaviour affect my own - i work in an area where the majority of road users probably didn't even take a UK test, so it's best to concentrate on keeping myself out of trouble than adding to it

that by undertaking you are breaking the law and wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they hit you...

Rule 267
Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

• check your mirrors
  • take time to judge the speeds correctly
  • make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
  • take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
  • remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
  • ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
  • be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance.
Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Personally I regard my safety and that of my passengers higher in my list of priorities than my ability to get from A to B quickly

At the end of the day other drivers cause annoyance, be it tailgating, undertaking, talking on the phone, indicating to go round corners - but I prefer to maintain a good driving standard by not letting other's bad behaviour affect my own - i work in an area where the majority of road users probably didn't even take a UK test, so it's best to concentrate on keeping myself out of trouble than adding to it
Fair play. But if I can I would move right over as far as I can

*sigh*...OK I'm out..if you can't grasp the fact that making spurious correlations between two irrelevant factors and suggesting causation is both foolish and incredibly flawed logic, then I don't think there is much point in discussing this further with you....

In other news..increased cheese consumption means you are more likely to die by becoming tangled in your bedsheets....Don't say I didn't warn you....

3.png

Bye.

Plus 1, I'm sure we can all agree the guy (at the risk of reigniting the sexist debate I'd bet my pension it wasn't a gal) is a bellend.
On the bright side there'll be an S3 on the market soon at a bargain price, he won't have a licence for at least a year or the funds to insure it for about 10. Passenger seats will probably need a good valet though!
What a rather odd thing to say. Why wouldn't I have a licence? Had no issues in the past 10+ years of driving.

We all need to just chill. Smoke some weed and be friends

Think some of these lot have been. The brains certainly turned to mush in some of them.

primarily my comment was targeted at those who see the inside lane as a 80mph/90mph lane when everyone in the middle/fast is already at or over the speed limit - it's just stupid

lane discipline is one of the biggest problems i see on the motorway, the changes in the law to combat this were pointless as it isn't enforced - i go past a junction every morning where everyone joining the motorway immediately heads to the middle lane regardless of their own speed or traffic flow - the inside lane is empty for nearly a mile!

using lights/horn is a perfectly good way of getting people to move, why break the law and put yourself at risk?

Yeah, totally. We need a lot of unmarked police on the motorways to enforce this kind of business.

totally agree @Stevieb2905 ! especially the horn part! i was going around with an angry face, road rage, shouting and tooting everyone... After 5months here iv calmed down and now joining in. A toot really is a sign of wanting a fight or that they did something terrible. They wave their arms around for a while and drive off at a billion mph in their Fiat 500 shouting "Inglese Stupido"! Doing 80kph in a built up area is fine! zigzagging is fine. People in the UK dont know the word "tailgaiting" until they have experienced Italian driving. Brake test them? pah! go faster! its your fault for being slow!! Bumps/potholes at the side of the road. Stupido! drive in the middle of the road!

Actually agree with you @4K regarding the push pull situation and knowing where you stand. I think thats why it works here. Everyone is the same whereas in the UK its all pot luck of who you meet on the roads...

Disclaimer: Above post is meant as lighthearted and would never drive like this in the UK.
Haha, that is so accurate regarding the 'stupido/cretino' routine. This often happens with a companion of mine over there. It's usually a bit more 'tasty' than that shall we say... Anything seems to be a challenge for them, which they embrace full on. Here, they just give up and get angry.

Reactions: Ormesome
Yeah, totally. We need a lot of unmarked police on the motorways to enforce this kind of business.
Watched a copper speed past a few people today. About 90mph no lights or indicating. Also there was a camera van speeding on the motorway the other day.

So police just abuse there positions

What a rather odd thing to say. Why wouldn't I have a licence? Had no issues in the past 10+ years of driving.

Oops, apologies mate didn't mean you at all, I was also posting on the S3 'undertaking' thread and it seems I've got my replies/threads mixed up:blink:.

Sorry once again, in my defence I'd had a couple of malts!!!

Watched a copper speed past a few people today. About 90mph no lights or indicating. Also there was a camera van speeding on the motorway the other day.

On the flip I've been caught speeding and let off because I was only endangering myself (empty road) - this is where the Germans get it right, no speed limit, but if you drive like an idiot (tailgating/weaving) then you get slammed by the police

On the flip I've been caught speeding and let off because I was only endangering myself (empty road) - this is where the Germans get it right, no speed limit, but if you drive like an idiot (tailgating/weaving) then you get slammed by the police
Germany is a brilliant country. Laws are well thought out.

Even got a better green city policy

I get tailgated all the time on the 7 mile 60mph B-Road to work! One time some pensioner in a fiesta tailgated me, I came to a sharp bend that required 3rd gear and speed drop to 20-30mph, Once around the corner I floored it up to 70mph and the old man behind me did the same!!!!! He floored it and sat up right behind me again! Crazy!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4K and Ormesome
Oops, apologies mate didn't mean you at all, I was also posting on the S3 'undertaking' thread and it seems I've got my replies/threads mixed up:blink:.

Sorry once again, in my defence I'd had a couple of malts!!!
Ah no worries, lol.

I get tailgated all the time on the 7 mile 60mph B-Road to work! One time some pensioner in a fiesta tailgated me, I came to a sharp bend that required 3rd gear and speed drop to 20-30mph, Once around the corner I floored it up to 70mph and the old man behind me did the same!!!!! He floored it and sat up right behind me again! Crazy!

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
These are the middle aged incompetents I talked about in my OP. I know exactly what you mean.

Brilliant isn't it. Lead by example, right? If the police can't even get it right, what hope have we got for anyone with no brain cells that look to the police for a decent example of driving.

Check out this nutter:

Noooo! They must have been off their head on drugs or booze or both to have driven like that. That's some real life GTA driving right there!

I've always wondered if that counts as undertaking? If you are in lane 1 and approach a slower car in lane 2, do you have to go all the way round them (from lane 1 to lane 3 then back to lane 1), or can you undertake them and stay in lane 1..?
Yes you do apparently unless congested conditions or the car is turning right which on a motorway doesn't factor in,I go european and undertake

i find if people just get out my way theres never a problem :racer:

Reactions: 4K, DieselJake and rob261
I get tailgated... until my exhaust blows a load of soot and god knows what in the car's direction :wink:

Reactions: 4K and rob261