Tailgate struts

Jimmy2007

Reaction score
Hi everyone, a little advice please.
My tailgate struts need changing, when i open the boot it doesn't lift fully and i have to manually lift up the last 6 inches so i don't bang my head on it. (It's electric)
Also sometimes it struggles to lift at the first few inches, when the electric motor uses its own force to start opening it.
I really don't want to spend £100+ from the Audi stealer.
I found 3 aftermarkets brands at half that price, Stabilus, Vaico and Febi.
Which ones would you go for?
Any of you had any experience with them?
Thanks

If it’s the same as the c7 there’s a reset procedure so it knows the extremes of open and close. Mine did this every so often on my c7 and I had to reset it.
Normally it gets like what you are experiencing is when someone pulled it or pushed it while it was doing it’s thing.

Reactions: Jimmy2007
Hi everyone, a little advice please.
My tailgate struts need changing, when i open the boot it doesn't lift fully and i have to manually lift up the last 6 inches so i don't bang my head on it. (It's electric)
Also sometimes it struggles to lift at the first few inches, when the electric motor uses its own force to start opening it.
I really don't want to spend £100+ from the Audi stealer.
I found 3 aftermarkets brands at half that price, Stabilus, Vaico and Febi.
Which ones would you go for?
Any of you had any experience with them?
Thanks
Try: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/

Just purchased a pair for a Vauxhall Astra 2004-2009 Cabriolet Twin Top Tailgate (not mine) @ £25.98 the pair.
Vauxhall price was more than £175 each, ouch!
Fast delivery from SGS and a perfect fit for the Astra Cabriolet Twin Top - so give them a try, take a look... :readit:

Reactions: Jimmy2007
If it’s the same as the c7 there’s a reset procedure so it knows the extremes of open and close. Mine did this every so often on my c7 and I had to reset it.
Normally it gets like what you are experiencing is when someone pulled it or pushed it while it was doing it’s thing.
Tried that, but it doesn't go up all the way on its own.
There are 6-8 inches that i have to do manually.
That's why I think the struts are shot.
They're 13 years old and i just changed the bonnet one because it wouldn't hold it open anymore (slammed on my head a couple of times)

In the end I went for stabilus, £32 for the pair.
5 minutes to fit and they work perfectly.
Finally the boot opens fully on its own.