Tail Light Modifications

defsix

Reaction score
Just done the Taillight mod on my B8 Avant. I only added 3 to the value of the four different channels. This resulted in outer, middle and inner lights on full with breaking. Indicators are ROW, if I add 6 they would flash with indicators. Looks cleaner now. LED Bulbs next!

Is there a complete list of what each channel does somewhere?

Anyone else tried this?

QUOTE=STA4;10690018]Here's a summary of the coding to enable the middle and inner bulbs as brake/signal for the B8 halogen:

Module 46 - Adaptation
Password: 16017

Sedan (Limo):

Channel 195: Left middle - 10753 -> 10759 (add 6)
Channel 196: Right middle - 10785 -> 10791 (add 6)
Channel 203: Left inner (on Limo also Fog) - 8778 -> 8775 (subtract 3)
Channel 204: Right inner (on Limo also Fog) - 8810 -> 8807 (subtract 3)

Avant:

Channel 195: Left middle - 14849 -> 14855 (add 6)
Channel 196: Right middle - 14881 -> 14887 (add 6)
Channel 203: Left inner (on Limo also Fog) - 14849 -> 14855 (add 6)
Channel 204: Right inner (on Limo also Fog) - 14881 -> 14887 (add 6)

Bulb out warnings:

Channel 181: 65535 -> 0 (rear halogen to LED conversion)
Channel 191: 65295 -> 0 (disable all rear bulb out warnings)
Channel 192: 3 -> 2 (disable licence plate bulb out warning)
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: desertstorm
So as i understand this you can make all rear red lights on a halogen car shine as brake lights just like an led car does? Ie the lights on the tailgate will shine as brake lights too?

That is correct. The Fog lights are separate, however on saloon I believe you lose the fog light feature. I will upload a picture tomorrow...

Pictures as promised.

DSC 8958
DSC 8960

Thanks for posting this. Not sure why Audi don't enable at least 1 of the inner brake lights then at least you would have 2 bulbs on each side.
I have enabled all 3 now as you have much brighter :) .

Can anyone make this understandable for someone with less intelligence I like the idea of brighter rear lights. So what do I gotta do?

Can anyone make this understandable for someone with less intelligence I like the idea of brighter rear lights. So what do I gotta do?
Usually when the tail lights are on the 3 bulbs illuminate on either side. When the brake light comes on only the outer one gets brighter. With this mod all 3 get brighter, to standard brake light level, when the brakes are press.

This post http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/karls-3-0-tdi-build-thread.204785/page-10#post-2652134 has a better picture !

The inner lights work as brake lights at all times with this mod so makes the brake lights a bit more noticeable in the day. Also means you effectively have 3 brake light bulbs each side of the car instead of 1 so if a single bulb fails you still have brake lights both sides.

The inner lights work as brake lights at all times with this mod so makes the brake lights a bit more noticeable in the day. Also means you effectively have 3 brake light bulbs each side of the car instead of 1 so if a single bulb fails you still have brake lights both sides.

The outer ones work as the break lights by default, not the inner.

The outer ones work as the break lights by default, not the inner.
I know thats what I said isn't it. Missed some punctuation though I think :blush: . Should be .

The inner lights work as brake lights at all times with this mod, so makes the brake lights a bit more noticeable in the day
The inference is that the inner lights don't work at all as brake lights normally.
The picture really shows the difference. Again thanks for posting this.

I know thats what I said isn't it. Missed some punctuation though I think :blush: . Should be .

The inner lights work as brake lights at all times with this mod, so makes the brake lights a bit more noticeable in the day
The inference is that the inner lights don't work at all as brake lights normally.
The picture really shows the difference. Again thanks for posting this.

No worries! It's your picture explains it a lot better than I could.
I'm surprised no else had tried it before... I stumbled on it trying to get the adaptive Brake lights working.

Last edited:
Cheers guys ill give this a go at the weekend, i always thought it looked rubbish with just the outers as brake lights.

Well done that man

Beware guys iv just done this and had to revert back to normal as the inner lights are flashing with the indicator lights. My cars an 08 with led indicators, its worth double checking all lights work correctly after doing this mod.

What coding did you use. The above is for a car with halogen bulbs, You have to add 3 to enable the brake lights not 6 as this puts them in North American mode where the flash with the indicators. Is this what you did.

Reactions: V2brett
Exactly what i did mate, my fault for speed reading the Op.
Looks like back to the car with the vcds.
Cheers desertstorm

How do I get hold of a VCDS and a cable for my motor?

And I assume once Iv got this I'll need a laptop and software..? All above my head lol anyone Glasgow area that has the kit?

Here is the chart with the different coding options. Write down your own code before you start.
170fe0f9b458e17c1482dda0e1ad2a37.jpg

Quick vid for you guys, its a big improvement looks and safety wise and is how the car should be from the factory imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: desertstorm
This is awesome. Means I'll be able to code my aftermarket dectane lights so the brake leds ALL light up instead of only the outer lights.

Hi.
Using this coding is it possible to make my fog lights to come on when I put the car in reverse gear???

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When I say fog lights I mean Rear fog lights.on when in reverse.. to aid In reversing..

I can't see a problem . Reverse lights are not part of Mot so should be fine if it's possible

That wasn't my point. Is it legal to show a high intensity red light simply because you're reversing, rather than because weather conditions have reduced visibility to the point where the normal rear lights aren't sufficient?

Rear fog lights - like front fog lights - exist for a specific reason, and the regulations reflect that (no pun intended :) ).

That wasn't my point. Is it legal to show a high intensity red light simply because you're reversing, rather than because weather conditions have reduced visibility to the point where the normal rear lights aren't sufficient?

Rear fog lights - like front fog lights - exist for a specific reason, and the regulations reflect that (no pun intended :) ).
The reverse lights are pants .. more light required that's all .. no street lights where I am .. so don't you worry...

I'm not worried. I'm just asking a sensible question. :)
In theory the fog lights are not at that time if the switch is not pressed and an indication on the dash is showing fogs on.
It's only the same as holding the brake light on... that's what I have to do at the minute to get enough light , if it's not possible then hey ho...

If all you’re after is more light when reversing, have a word with @t8ups . He can probably supply you with better reversing light bulbs.