T-Cut

it's crap! you won't remove any swirls/scratches and will most likely put more in. you might remove oxidisation and give a bit of life to the paint but thats about it

what result/work are trying to acheive/do?

I've had great success with t cut but only on CDs that are scratched, repaired manys CDs DVDs with this stuff.

jojo said:
Silly question really, but what's the take on T-cutting paint from the professional detailer's point of view?

I am a pro detailer ...

T-cut doesnt contain diminishing abrasive therefore will put in just as much scratching as you try to remove with it... it also contains ammonia and can discolour single stage paint ...

T-cut got left behind in the 70's... there are MUCH better alternatives these days to use. :tocktock:

As above... in many cases it seems to do more harm than good for the reasons offered above... and there are now many more polishes out there that do a significantly better job, whether by hand or machine. My advice is leave it on the shelf and instead use a set of modern polishes with finely milled diminishing abrasives that are suited to hard germanic paints; the Menzerna range is probably the best currently available in these respects. :)

abdus said:
any recommendation then from the pros?

as rich said above, the menzerna range, either PO106FA or probably PO85RD3.02 are gonna be your best bet on vag paint but by hand its gonna be a complete bitch and take you days rather than hours. your gonna need to use, at the very least, a random orbital polisher such as a porter cable with a medium to hard polishing pad to remove any paint defects.

go here and have a browse: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

abdus said:
any recommendation then from the pros?

If you choose to work by hand, you've little chance or removing anything more serious than minor marring, so often the best bet is to use a glaze like Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish to fill and hide any defects, and then seal the finish with a decent wax or sealant (to boost the gloss and lock in the fillers). However, if you really want to attempt some degree of correction by hand, and have arms like Popeye, then Menzerna Intensive Polish applied using the white side of a German Pad will yield some improvement, and will break down properly to leave a decent finish (even if defects still persist). However, if you are happy to consider buying a machine polisher, then you will be able to make much more headway in terms of correction... :)

Thanks...so best bet would be a polisher then...

any good polisher below £50?

lol..can't afford more than that atm due to baby on the way in 5 weeks...

abdus said:
Thanks...so best bet would be a polisher then...

any good polisher below £50?

lol..can't afford more than that atm due to baby on the way in 5 weeks...

With all the things you 'have to have' for a new baby these days you will have some electrical gadget that will be useful for applying polishes.

Couldn't you adapt one of these?
Electric_Breast_Pump.jpg

Good luck with with your new arrival when he or she arrives.

The problem with the two you have listed is that they are not random orbital and , unless you know what you are doing, you could easily burn the paint on your car because of heat build up. The random orbital versions are much easier for a novice to use and, unless you are particularly careless, almost impossible to do any damage.

I'm not sure either of those would be a great purchase unless you are well practiced and know what you're doing.

marms said:
The problem with the two you have listed is that they are not random orbital and , unless you know what you are doing, you could easily burn the paint on your car because of heat build up. The random orbital versions are much easier for a novice to use and, unless you are particularly careless, almost impossible to do any damage.

I'm not sure either of those would be a great purchase unless you are well practiced and know what you're doing.

Wise words :)

If money is an issue regarding purchasing a machine polisher, maybe keep an eye on Ebay for a 2nd hand PC (Porter Cable) but even then it wont be as cheap as £50 i'm afraid. Maybe just save a bit untill you can afford one or a new Meguiars G220, at least by then the warmer and dryer weather will be here :icon_thumright:

marms said:
Don't forget you will also need the 110v convertor and a plug to make it usable in the uk. Apart from that I think you've made a good choice. Blow the £50 budget a bit though :)

yeah, looking for 2nd-hand transformer from a friend. Just need to buy the plug.

Better invest in something worthwhile and save a respray job with a crap polisher...lol

Just above budget :huh:

Abdus,

I replied to your PM so I think you have everything covered now.
Good luck and don't forget to post the picturess of your efforts when the car has had a once over :)

Cheers Mike...will post when used and satisfied with the results. :)