System Update/MMI Update

joshbleach-A3SL

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have very recently joined the Audi club, by getting an A3 S line 2016, with virtual cockpit.

First of all, I wanted to check if the MMI system was up to date and if not then update it if it is not on the latest version.

I have had a look on here and other sites about doing this and it always points me to 'https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/my-audi.html' but I can not see anywhere on there about updates or even a list of versions to see if I am on the latest version.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Audi don't publish versions of the MMI software, and there is no information on Myaudi site. You will only find map updates on there if you still had a license to which you won't as the car is over 3 years old. Audi don't like updating the MMI system, as it's their view if it's not broken then they won't fix it! Even if they did update the car then they would charge between 1-2 hours labour.

There are 3rd party companies that can update the system but they charge for that as well. There are also "sites" where you can download the software, but there are risks involved like bricking modules and features not working after the update NAV, BT etc.

So unless you have access to diagnostic tools & understand how the MMI updates work then I would look around for someone who can the the updates for you as your software will most likely be the version installed when your car was built at the factory.

Hi B5NUT,

Thank you for your reply it was really helpful. Do you know if there any way to find out what the latest version of the MMI software is?

Thanks.

Hi B5NUT,

Thank you for your reply it was really helpful. Do you know if there any way to find out what the latest version of the MMI software is?

Thanks.
Why u need it for, what u expect ? to have something better?? u think your car is some fone and will be updated every month?
Car manufs. don't do any updates only maps and even that is not any difference noticeable ... just updated places or roads new roads build..

Why u need it for, what u expect ? to have something better?? u think your car is some fone and will be updated every month?
Car manufs. don't do any updates only maps and even that is not any difference noticeable ... just updated places or roads new roads build..
Bug fix, performance enhancements, compatibility..... a lot can be gained from updating MMI firmware especially if you have an older version and a recent phone / device.

Reactions: cuke2u
Bug fix, performance enhancements, compatibility..... a lot can be gained from updating MMI firmware especially if you have an older version and a recent phone / device.
You talking like about smartphone update :D. Do you really think audi gonna do some bug fixes via soft?? So how come I emailed straight to the audi germany and they told me they do not perform any of this?? you think audi going to make your care performance better?? Please don't be naive .. And compatibility with what? bluetooth will detect any bluetooth active devices.. I have 2015 A3 and there is absolutely no any update whatsoever..
Bug fixes are done only via https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall and audi will send message to DVLA if there are bugs and need recall for particular model series..
Audi will never make performance enhancement for your car heheh :D you can dream..

DJAlix is right, they are constantly working on the MMI system up to a point where the cars are too old (5-6 years) Over the years I have been updating MMI system, I've seen improvement, some enhancement and improvements with phone compatibility.

If you email Audi Germany you are going to get standard answer "if it's not broken then don't fix it" they are not interested in updating older cars, and they don't want the workshops clogged up with cars having MMI updates as it can take well over an hour per car depending. Then are are updates to all the other modules, cluster, central electric, parking brake, etc, etc, the list is endless, and again they won't update these unless their is a major software issue.

You talking like about smartphone update :D. Do you really think audi gonna do some bug fixes via soft?? So how come I emailed straight to the audi germany and they told me they do not perform any of this?? you think audi going to make your care performance better?? Please don't be naive .. And compatibility with what? bluetooth will detect any bluetooth active devices.. I have 2015 A3 and there is absolutely no any update whatsoever..
Bug fixes are done only via https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall and audi will send message to DVLA if there are bugs and need recall for particular model series..
Audi will never make performance enhancement for your car heheh :D you can dream..
You really don’t know what you are taking about. I do this for a living and yes VW group release software fixes for Any and all control modules within their vehicles all the time, from MMI updates (QNX and linx, so yes a PC) through to mapping and indeed performance on gearbox and engine control modules.

send me your VIN please and I will list a good pages worth of software updates and fixes. The search will cost me money but it would be worth it to shut you up!

Reactions: AudiFruitCake, Marky79, Dubjam and 4 others
You really don’t know what you are taking about. I do this for a living and yes VW group release software fixes for Any and all control modules within their vehicles all the time, from MMI updates (QNX and linx, so yes a PC) through to mapping and indeed performance on gearbox and engine control modules.
Yeah for you but not for us, end users ppl .. that a HUGE DIFFERENCE .. I want it like smartphone ! To give me update TO ME !
OK so if you doing it so please give me software update for my car. Do you have ?

Yeah for you but not for us, end users ppl .. that a HUGE DIFFERENCE .. I want it like smartphone ! To give me update TO ME !
OK so if you doing it so please give me software update for my car. Do you have ?
Send me your vin and I will show you all the updates for your vehicle. If you want any, just like a dealership, you have to visit pay for the time.

and stop being silly, of course there is going to be a huge difference between “professionals” and “owners” access.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Send me your vin and I will show you all the updates for your vehicle. If you want any, just like a dealership, you have to visit pay for the time.

and stop being silly, of course there is going to be a huge difference between “professionals” and “owners” access.
This is the thing when I have update on my phone I don't pay anything.. Why do I have to pay? if you send me firmware I can copy it to SD card and update MMI .. or ?
I checked via audi website about month ago nothing is avail for my car ..

This is the thing when I have update on my phone I don't pay anything.. Why do I have to pay? if you send me firmware I can copy it to SD card and update MMI .. or ?
I checked via audi website about month ago nothing is avail for my car ..
You don’t get firmware from myAudi, only maps updates and only if you have the technology pack system.

Audi charges for updates unless you need said update to fix an issue or unless it’s part of a recall. As an authorised 3rd party I can perform any update works also but I charge for my time, am pretty sure that you don’t do your job for free. No software or firmware is released to the public because you cannot use it without the correct tools.

a phone or computer is very different to a car. Software / firmware is controlled and is applied in very different ways. You need access to the genuine VW group service tool to process any works and at a minimum you need a professional power maintainer, not to mention the training / knowledge.

I will search and then detail all available updates for your vehicle later today once I am done with my customers.

First bit of information, as I had 5 mins to check your factory records, you have the basic Panasonic MIB standard. You will receive no updates via myAudi for the systems as maps are updated by purchasing a new SD card and activation licence.

You don’t get firmware from myAudi, only maps updates and only if you have the technology pack system.

Audi charges for updates unless you need said update to fix an issue or unless it’s part of a recall. As an authorised 3rd party I can perform any update works also but I charge for my time, am pretty sure that you don’t do your job for free. No software or firmware is released to the public because you cannot use it without the correct tools.

a phone or computer is very different to a car. Software / firmware is controlled and is applied in very different ways. You need access to the genuine VW group service tool to process any works and at a minimum you need a professional power maintainer, not to mention the training / knowledge.

I will search and then detail all available updates for your vehicle later today once I am done with my customers.
I don't need poor map updates I don't use built in maps becuse it is like form 2000 year.. I use Waze on the phone where is everything.. Nothing is better than waze app .. You see and this is cheekiness and selfishness from audi that they keeping software why it is still tabu?? why it isn't public
why new audi cars has online connect for?? Corect tools? my 8 year old daughter knows what an SD card is...
Phone and computer different form car?? so how come we connecting computer to the car since 2000 ?
Don't worry I flash laptop BIOS firmwares or phone firmware via laptop so no difference to the car.. still connect with an USB just the problem is to get the software and file you need to flash.. I have laptop which was impossible to read and dump BIOS because write protected , so I had to desolder BIOS chip from the laptop motherboard solder it onto flash usb programmer and read raw bios from the chip and modify it.. then solder it back to laptop motherboard.. and tool with software cost me £8 pounds?
So where do I get windows 10 software and an usb cable and file for audi car and flash it simply myself

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200818_123515.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818_123515.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Screenshot_20200818_123501.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818_123501.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
I don't need poor map updates I don't use built in maps becuse it is like form 2000 year.. I use Waze on the phone where is everything.. Nothing is better than waze app .. You see and this is cheekiness and selfishness from audi that they keeping software why it is still tabu?? why it isn't public
why new audi cars has online connect for?? Corect tools? my 8 year old daughter knows what an SD card is...
Phone and computer different form car?? so how come we connecting computer to the car since 2000 ?
Don't worry I flash laptop BIOS firmwares or phone firmware via laptop so no difference to the car.. still connect with an USB just the problem is to get the software and file you need to flash.. I have laptop which was impossible to read and dump BIOS because write protected , so I had to desolder BIOS chip from the laptop motherboard solder it onto flash usb programmer and read raw bios from the chip and modify it.. then solder it back to laptop motherboard.. and tool with software cost me £8 pounds?
So where do I get windows 10 software and an usb cable and file for audi car and flash it simply myself
Changed my mind, am done with this conversion. May the force with with you.

• Haha
Reactions: Wibbly, omNi., stubbly46 and 8 others
My 2016 Q7 has just had an MMI update via the dealer that said is was a recall item. Not sure what the fix is but 01U7-MMI Update on the ticket they gave me.

Oh yes and Audi Connect renew the Audi Connect License for free if you ask them nicely so up to date Google - not sure what the other bloke is on about!

Oh yes and Audi Connect renew the Audi Connect License for free if you ask them nicely so up to date Google - not sure what the other bloke is on about!
Not talking about some licence .. But car improvement or MMI uppdate menu gui for example or new options, performance, you won't get any of that from audi... Some licence isn't any good for me.. maybe for you that won't make you car any better...
I't like naive ppl can't wait for an smartphone update an then when some update arrives it is like just only google security update and they jumping from excitement they got updated phone thinking it gonna be any better ...

the audi connect license gives you lots actually - if you want a faster car then go buy one. For many of us Google Maps and twitter is enough!

the audi connect license gives you lots actually - if you want a faster car then go buy one. For many of us Google Maps and twitter is enough!
I didn't have to buy faster car I did remap for £150 you have to pay for performance increase .. maps update pchch what u have it updated in there just number version ? you don't even notice. Just install WAZE android app and you won't use built in maps anymore..

I promise you I do notice when the map recognises the new road layouts and that is more important to me than remapping the ECU. We are all pleased by different things. I do not have to be impressed by the same things as you. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

@Peter82 ,

Alix has been pretty straight with you explaining what benefits can be had through a firmware update. Pretty much every single person who has read this thread has understood what can and can't be achieved with these updates. I am not sure why you are yet again, trying to wrong someone, who clearly knows more than you. You do this on almost every thread you engage with and you've had moderator warnings about it.

Personally, I don't want to have a phone stuck to my dashboard for SatNav with Waze, thats so very 1995.

MMI updates are beneficial to me, especially with new phones coming out and new apps to ensure everything runs seemless. Map updates are also useful to have, and if the MIB. unit is hacked by someone like Alix, theres no need to pay the £££'s to Audi each year for new maps. Phones can be lost, die, stolen, forgotten, so its nice to have the source in your car, when you need it. Also great if you go to Europe and dont want to pay roaming charges.

Also, if you paid £150 for a remap, then I feel very sorry for your car. A proper map is customised to your car, on a rolling road. Granted, in the new gen VW/Audi's, there is generally no need to map from the ground up unless its been heavily modified, however a pre-written map is just a starting point, and then needs to be fine tuned. Expect around 2 hours minimum work and a lot of third gear driving if not on a rolling road. If none of this happened, then your 'map' is probably pretty bad unless you got *very* lucky.

It sounds like you used a 'facebook' mapper, two hours on a 'mapping' course and they are unleashed on the publics engines!

Reactions: DJAlix
@Peter82 ,

Alix has been pretty straight with you explaining what benefits can be had through a firmware update. Pretty much every single person who has read this thread has understood what can and can't be achieved with these updates. I am not sure why you are yet again, trying to wrong someone, who clearly knows more than you. You do this on almost every thread you engage with and you've had moderator warnings about it.

Personally, I don't want to have a phone stuck to my dashboard for SatNav with Waze, thats so very 1995.

MMI updates are beneficial to me, especially with new phones coming out and new apps to ensure everything runs seemless. Map updates are also useful to have, and if the MIB. unit is hacked by someone like Alix, theres no need to pay the £££'s to Audi each year for new maps. Phones can be lost, die, stolen, forgotten, so its nice to have the source in your car, when you need it. Also great if you go to Europe and dont want to pay roaming charges.

Also, if you paid £150 for a remap, then I feel very sorry for your car. A proper map is customised to your car, on a rolling road. Granted, in the new gen VW/Audi's, there is generally no need to map from the ground up unless its been heavily modified, however a pre-written map is just a starting point, and then needs to be fine tuned. Expect around 2 hours minimum work and a lot of third gear driving if not on a rolling road. If none of this happened, then your 'map' is probably pretty bad unless you got *very* lucky.

It sounds like you used a 'facebook' mapper, two hours on a 'mapping' course and they are unleashed on the publics engines!

I’ve never known as member as bad myself.
Every thread he’s constantly at people when they post genuine information and in an aggressive manner too.

Seems a right know it all.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJAlix and Dubjam
I’ve never known as member as bad myself.
Every thread he’s constantly at people when they post genuine information and in an aggressive manner too.

Seems a right know it all.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought he was just a proper c**t, but now I genuinely think its more mental health related..

Reactions: 8YARWY, DJAlix and george forbes
DJAlix and Dubjam you are absolutely correct in the thread in so far as the Audi updates I had today (there were 7 of them for my 2016 Q7) were only done because I had a fault last week that they could not clear so they had the car for the morning and now all is fine. They did not charge for this primarily because my new 2020 Q7 Vorsprung has just landed in their compound for a PDI. If I had not ordered the new car I am sceptical if they would have done it for free.

Reactions: Dubjam
I just wonder if this thread can be gotten back on track perhaps? :-D

I have a more specific question. I recently purchased a 2013 A3 Sportback (1.6 TDi) and updated the firmware from MHIG_EU_AU_P1531 to MHIG_EU_AU_S0337. I wasn't sure what things should be updated and what shouldn't so I just went with the default update settings.

Then I went to do the maps but the update option was greyed out. So I figured maybe just update all the rest of the stuff in the firmware to see if that would help. Now I can no longer update the firmware either! All the modules are set to N and I can't change that. The other oddity there is the only option is Standard, User-Defined is greyed out (it wasn't previously).

Has anyone experienced this and more importantly is there a solution? I really want maps newer than 2013. :-D

I just wonder if this thread can be gotten back on track perhaps? :-D

I have a more specific question. I recently purchased a 2013 A3 Sportback (1.6 TDi) and updated the firmware from MHIG_EU_AU_P1531 to MHIG_EU_AU_S0337. I wasn't sure what things should be updated and what shouldn't so I just went with the default update settings.

Then I went to do the maps but the update option was greyed out. So I figured maybe just update all the rest of the stuff in the firmware to see if that would help. Now I can no longer update the firmware either! All the modules are set to N and I can't change that. The other oddity there is the only option is Standard, User-Defined is greyed out (it wasn't previously).

Has anyone experienced this and more importantly is there a solution? I really want maps newer than 2013. :-D

Best to speak to @DJAlix about this

@DJAlix New member here and was reading that you may or may not have availability for MMI update info.

I am from Australia and trying to find out a little bit more about my car.
Are you able to touch base?