Symphony Radio CD changer

whispering john

Reaction score
Wanted to add Symphony radio with 6 CD changer to my new build A3 Black Edition - but unfortunately due to the Audi computer being 'down' recently when it was up and running again - we were too late - the build has already started. Listers (my local dealership) are going to see if they can fit it at dealership, I hope this is possible - can anyone out there confirm whether they have had anything similar fitted at dealership when car has arrived? Thanks.​

Not had it done myself, the fitting of a Symphony Stereo is just remove the old one, plug in the new one, code it and your away. Simple as that. If an Audi dealer mess that up I would be worried!!
The only thing I would say is watch what they want to charge you as they are about second hand for probably half the price!

What is being replaced? If its the basic model called Chorus (i think thats what its called) I would be careful as I read here a few days back that the the basic models only come with the 2 front speakers.

Symphany comes with the not only the front but the back and subwoofer so there is quite a big difference in sound quality.

I would follow that up for sure as you don't want to lose out.

What are they going to charge you to fit it mate, if it is a joke of a price I have one that is in mint brand new condition that I took out of mine to fit RNS-E. I am sure we can work a sensible price out!

What is being replaced? If its the basic model called Chorus (i think thats what its called) I would be careful as I read here a few days back that the the basic models only come with the 2 front speakers.

Symphany comes with the not only the front but the back and subwoofer so there is quite a big difference in sound quality.

Sounds right, according to the brochure the standard (and SE) model has "Audi Chorus radio/single CD player with front speakers" and only when you upgrade to the Sport do you get "Concert single front-loading CD player with MP3 file compatibility with active front and rear speakers"

What are they going to charge you to fit it mate, if it is a joke of a price I have one that is in mint brand new condition that I took out of mine to fit RNS-E. I am sure we can work a sensible price out!

Just PM'd you...

Sounds right, according to the brochure the standard (and SE) model has "Audi Chorus radio/single CD player with front speakers" and only when you upgrade to the Sport do you get "Concert single front-loading CD player with MP3 file compatibility with active front and rear speakers"

So this is what I wanted fgaffney to be aware of. Losing out on 3 or four speakers that make up the rest of the sound in the car. Irrespective of the price, I think he should know what he is letting himself in for.

Are you telling me that some A3's only come with front speakers??? Seriously?!!?

All the headunits can be coded via VagCom to suit the speaker set up anyway, wether it is Bose or Non Bose.

All the headunits are the same, its the speaker packages that are different. And like I said any headunit can be coded to suit the car.

i have the headunit symphony II double din for sale...

Are you telling me that some A3's only come with front speakers??? Seriously?!!?

All the headunits can be coded via VagCom to suit the speaker set up anyway, wether it is Bose or Non Bose.

All the headunits are the same, its the speaker packages that are different. And like I said any headunit can be coded to suit the car.

Yeah read andykn's quote.

Terry the head unit is less relevant here as I was trying emphasize that whispering john may lose out of rear speakers and mini sub woofer too I think. That's a lot of missing sound or a lot of work to retrofit.

No he won't, you only ever get the sub when you have Bose. Unless they have changed the standard set up. Regardless whatever set up speaker wise he had with the original set up, will remain with the new head unit.

I think we agree with each other but are focusing on different points :uhm:
Didnt realise 8P did not give mini subs. The 8Ls did and they sounded respectatble.

I assume he is replacing the Concert unit as this is what comes as standard on SE and above. The black edition comes with Bose so speakers will all be in there.
The new Symphony unit will need to be coded for Bose but Audi can do that...

Ah thanks for clearing up the mystery cruiser!

Black Edition = Bose = All speakers, therfore Concert to Symphony is an easy job!

Got there in the end! :sorry:

Sorry I seemed to open a 'can of worms' but thank you all for your responses - I think we got there in the end.