Switched ignition wire

Mizan

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the factory head unit and I need a switched ignition wire i.e. power comes on when ignition comes on, I've taken the panel below the steering wheel off but I'm not sure which wire to use for switch. I've looked online and searched everywhere but no one has a posted a definitive location of where to wire it from.

Could some one tell me which one to wire it to and what gauge wire I should use to.

Thanks

In the big bunch of wires there is a thin red wire that is switched live

You will need a relay too as it will burn out if you wire straight to it

the big bunch of wires going to the fuse box?

and what kind of relay, a 3 pin? and how would I got about wiring the relay?

Thanks

just wire stright to the fuse box
no relays needed
theres 3 switched lives in there

Which fuse is the switched live, I read through the list and I couldn't figure out which one would be switched live

get a multi on it and chect i dont know location off hand

the big bunch of wires going to the fuse box?

and what kind of relay, a 3 pin? and how would I got about wiring the relay?

Thanks

Sorry wires going to ignition

If you want the radio to stay on till you pull the key out use the thin wire on the ignition I'm not sure if the ones on the fuse box stay live with the key in I'm sure someone can verify

You need a 4 pin relay

does it matter if I don't connect the red and the big black plugs? I have the rear amplified system and not the bose, I am going to order some harnesses that do connect to them, but I don't have them atm. And do I just need a switched live to work or will I need to ground it aswell?

and for the relay, how would I wire the 4pin relay? I assume the wire on the ignition would now go through the relay, but how would I wire the switch? would I have to get a 12v power from somewhere else?

thanks

I've managed to wire my head unit up now so it works fine but i've got 2 problems, the first is I need A illumination line to dim the head unit, what wire should I use behind the sidelight switch? and the second problem is that when the stereo is loud and there is loud base, the head unit cuts out, like the sound distorts then cuts out, any ideas why? thanks

id suggest getting a professional to do this for you before you end up with a vehicle fire. lol.

no offence but, just like i'm a house diy ******........ you sound like a car diy ******! :)