Swirl marks etc

pbarlow0032

Reaction score
Hi All,
i bought a Moro Blue B6 Cab a couple of months ago, and I am ashamed to say that I gave it its first wash yesterday. I did this using 2 buckets, microfibre wash mitt and then finished with a chamois. Today I've noticed light scratches and swirl marks all over the car, including some more significant scrapes in places. I'm pretty sure I haven't caused the bulk of the swirls ( looks like someone's slung a gritty cloth around it every week since it was built) but I am wondering how best to get rid of them?

i've seen various comments on here about using DA machines, but the cheapest kit I can find on eBay is about £130. If that's what it will take to sort it, then that's what I'll do, but my question is, can this be rectified by hand using polishing pads and cutting compounds/polishes, or would it take me forever and a day? Realistically I would need to do every panel on the car!

Does anywhere rent out Da machines? Would a DA machine do the trick, or would it need to be a professional rotary polisher? I tried to take a photo of an example of the swirls/scratches but the iPhone wouldn't pick and of the detail up.

Thanks for any help,
Paul

you can find polishers that will do cash in hand jobs, I know of 2 that have both quoted me £50 to do my whole car once the weather picks up. least I know they will do a professional job, with out me having to buy a polisher, and not getting the same results without a lot of practise. Then once its done maintain it with quality products.

Ditch the chamois ! Buy a couple of microfibres drying towels instead.

Hi juicy Jen, just realised you're literally 1 minute for where I live so I might just pop by at some point for a bit of advice on what I products I could use to get it looking good (if you can spare 5 minutes one day?). Didn't realise you did the detailing work also,just assumed you sold the products to do it!

By all means pop by but I'm not in everyday at the moment due to nearing the end of my pregnancy so it might be worth dropping me a pm before hand.

I am returning to detailing work around end of March/early April which is a good time after winter to get the motors looking shiny again :)

I'm based in the North East, but I'm sorry the cost would definitly be more than £50 and I'd be skeptical of anybody that charges that little to let them loose on my own car.....
he works for bmw mini and it is his job, he does the £50 jobs on his pals cars. its not a quick job either, he spends hours on them. to a stranger I guess the price wouldn't be the same, but I only put it up as a suggestion that he may know somebody the same willing to do a cash on the side job.

Have you seen the state of most of the cars which leave main dealers though?

When he's finished, do me a favour and give it a wipe down with some IPA and get a decent light on the paint panels - I would put money on the fact that they're probably glossier but still in a bit of a shocking state!

It can't be compared to a properly refined 'detailed' finish.

Hi Paul

Jen at Juicy Detailing is running an offer on the Dodo Juice DA polisher and pads at the moment for £100. I'm considering that one.

By all means pop by but I'm not in everyday at the moment due to nearing the end of my pregnancy so it might be worth dropping me a pm before hand.

I am returning to detailing work around end of March/early April which is a good time after winter to get the motors looking shiny again :)

Jen, how much do you charge for your work? Can you PM me a price?

Hi schoey, thanks for the heads up, hadn't seen that! Is the dodo juice DA any good? anyone who owns one/tried one have any opinions? Think I will have to treat myself after pay day.....

I picked up a DA polisher and pads 18 months ago plus a panel pot of Dodo Juice purple haze. 7 hours later über shiny car minus lots of marks along various panels. Impressed myself to be honest.

The key I think is to read up, take advice and go slow, it takes time to get an acceptable finish.

Oh and throw away the chamois leather ! Never let them near my paint lol.