Swirl marks after moppingfrom paint shop

chrisru

Reaction score
I've just had a bonnet respray and the paint shop also suggest getting the car mopped at the same time. With the flat black paint and being a 2005 plate there were many circular scratches in the lacquer coat which showed in the sunshine. The finish now looks great when there is anything but direct sunshine. However if there is direct sunshine then you can see swirl marks from the rotary polisher, they sparkle in the sunshine like diffraction patterns. I need to decide whether to get them to sort this out - is this normal, what have they done wrong (if anything) and how could it be fixed?

Thanks

Chris

The swirl marks you can see will be from the Farecla compounds they use, most likely G3, to polish the paint after sanding. I doubt very much they will use compounds that can be broken down enough to remove the swirl marks, you will need to get it paint corrected by a detailer using products such as Menzerna or 3M to get the finish you are after.:icon_thumright:

As above Chris.

The paintwork will need finishing properly with a finer polish and pad approach.

See my latest Rolls Royce Ghost topic for a better idea.

Thanks Tech for the clarification - is it reasonable to have expected them to have used the right materials - the swirl marks look very strange in full sunshine - makes the car look a real mess. And if I ask them to go over it using the finer products will they likely do a good job? Having spent cash with them to do this I'm a bit miffed if I now need to get someone else to correct what they have done - any idea what it would cost?

Chris

Thanks Jim - sorry our posts overlapped. Just seen your awesome Rolls Royce pictures - and yes my A4 has those hologram swirl marks that the RR had. Trying to work out whether I can insist that the bodyshop do the mop again using better materials or ask for a refund and go elsewhere. Any ideas as to what this would cost to have corrected?

Chris

Thanks Tech for the clarification - is it reasonable to have expected them to have used the right materials - the swirl marks look very strange in full sunshine - makes the car look a real mess. And if I ask them to go over it using the finer products will they likely do a good job? Having spent cash with them to do this I'm a bit miffed if I now need to get someone else to correct what they have done - any idea what it would cost?

Chris

Unfortunately I'm yet to find a bodyshop that uses anything other than Farecla products when mopping after wet sanding, no doubt there are paint shops out there that do use the finer products like Menzerna but I haven't come across one yet.

You are better off getting in a Pro Detailer to do the correction work as they will spend more time getting the paint swirl free and as close to perfect as possible. Price wise you are looking at £500 upwards for a decent job, and it should take a couple of days at least to do the whole car.

Ian :icon_thumright:

You'll get better results with the 3M system. Fast Cut Plus, followed by Extra Fine Compound and then finally on dark colours use Ultrafina which is specifically for removing swirls and holograms. There is practically no abrasive in it and it works like a dream. No effort required and you'll find that a lot of bodyshops, even if they choose to stock Farecla over 3M will still keep a bottle of Ultrafina for this purpose.

Ultrafina needs to be used by machine on a nice soft head, it's a nice quick 3 stage system and you'll be well chuffed with the results.

P.S Wet sanding is considered old technology. You'll find the majority of bodyshops worth their salt will dry sand these days and then run a 3000 grit wet disc over the top. Wet or dry is generally kept for nibbing now.

Last edited:
minxy80 i am with you on this,i would not finish a dark car with g3 or fastcut plus they are too harsh,any decent painter will know how to finish it off properly!!! take it back and i am sure they will sort it! as you say most bodyshops use dry polish, its much cleaner and i find it much quicker!! take it back you aint going to loose anything!!

a light cutting compound with a random occilating buffer will help that. if you dont know how to properly do it DO NOT!!! let somebody who knows how help you with this, even if you have to pass them some coin. you dont want to make it worse than it is.