1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swirl Flap Failure, has the worst ever happened?

the fatty Apr 23, 2018

1. the fatty

the fatty New Member

We all know the swirl flaps can cause problems because the links get worn and the servo cant initialise within the correct limits, which most people repair by simply replacing the links (I opted for another approach of a bit of copper wire for one side and a small metal plate for the other). But I was wondering if there have been any reports of any of the 3.0Tdi engines ever suffering from complete failure due to the internals of the swirl flap system failing and entering the valves? As most do not replace the internals, just the outer links...

2. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro TDi

Not that I have ever heard of. I replaced the links on my car at around 75K because it was intermittently reporting swirl flap issues. Just started reporting them again at 120K . Everything is plastic unlike some cars such as BMW's where the swirl flaps are metal and end up being ingested and wreck the engine.

the fatty likes this.
  3. the fatty

the fatty New Member

That's good to know. So I've no need to worry about replacing them anytime soon then. Ive made mine work as follows, very crude but it's doing the job and cost nothing. No fault codes recorded since doing it.

IMG_20180414_170837.jpg IMG_20180414_170847.jpg

4. bobby singh

bobby singh BSR VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro TDi

The actual flaps are on a metal rod inside the lower manifold and run through plastic bushes which wear through. These then put extra load on the motors causing DTC to be shown.
    I have seen some cars whereby Audi appear to have re enforced the bushing with hard plastic inserts which seems to work well.
    But as you can imagine the lower intakes are not cheap from Audi.

5. the fatty

the fatty New Member

yes i can imagine, not much is cheap from Audi!