Suspension Re-new

Ro55

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ive just bought the MEYLE HD front kit,and was wandering if i need to buy anything else or,tips ect.
Ive ordered my B5 perches from tps.

Ive also been spraying wd40 on the pinch bolts for a few weeks.
Im on 98k.

Any input much appreciated!!

Don't tighten anything fully until the wheels are on the ground, Haynes do quote the angle that the top arms should be tightened to!!
You need a large torque wrench to tighten the centre driveshaft/hub retainer!
Guess you have spring compressors?

Didnt think id need to? You are on about the driveshaft centre bolt big one?
Ive read spring compressors aren't needed on sports but i have them better than loosing my face.

Last edited:
I would definitely use your spring compressors mate, mine has sport susp and still needed them. You need a swan neck 18mm spanner for the bolt holding the top mount to the shock..

No need to take the hubs off the driveshafts. As John says, don't tighten things. What I did was put everything on (new CA's) and wound all bolts up until they "just bite" then backed them off a half turn, dump the car on its wheels (to learn your ride height with the perches on) and measured from hub centre to arch, note this down. Then, one side at a time, jack the hub up without a wheel on until you get back to this measurement, then do all your control arm bolts (plus bottom shock mount) up to correct torques..

You may also need a blow torch for the b**ch bolt at the top of the hub carrier. One of mine came off with heat, the other I ended up removing and taking to a machining shop (still have nightmares) but mine was much higher mileage so hopefully you'll be ok..

Good luck :blush: and look forward to proudly looking at your handy-work and better Passat perch stance; Approximately 3 weeks before regretting not going lower if you're anything like me :witless:

Ive got heat and a 24v impact gun so that should whip it off.ive been soaking in wd40 so that should help.just started knocking like a buggar today so its deffo due.
Just worried about subframe and alignment after.

Sorry, I did a bearing on mine, so needed the hub off!
I did wander lol,cheers

Well its offically a nightmare! knocking got worse tonight,so i gets under to investigate,turns out its the track rods.so i thought why not try the pinch bolt.i got it turning so yay i thought,went for the wd40,sprayed some on to free it up and SNAP! head of the bolt fell off.

I pulled what i could back with the thread and nut,had to cut the nut off after as i went over.it started to get dark cars now in the air until its sorted.
tomorrow ill cut the bolt through the pinch gap.see if i can tap it out.and whats poking out ill try and twist out.

Any suggestions?

i havent used heat as i havent got any new parts yet.

I thought landrovers were hard to work on lol

Shame you cut the nut off, you could of put spacers between the nut and the hub carrier to draw the bolt out.
Propane torch now fella.

Yeah im going to try that with another nut.
i cant use heat as i know its the track rods knocking,ill do the lot when ive got more time.ill do the track rods,and the other pinch bolt ready for the overhaul,this way i get to keep it on the road.or off axel stands atleast.
Ive got some mapp gas if i need it ;)

I reckon it would a good idear if we all chipped few £'s we could buy the tool to pass around the forum?
members with so many posts and how long been a member of course.
Just an idear.
We done it on one of our land rover forum rear watts linkage.

I would put it all back together and wait the the front end kit to arrive. Pretty sure the bolt wont move in the mean time. When you have all arms and nuts and new bolts...then take the brakes and discs off and hub nut, release lower arms at hub, do battle with the track control bolt (probably seized too) and take whole spring damper assembly out with top control arms still on it.
Then try and tackle the pinch bolt. I also had to have mine drilled out on an (Industrial) pillar drill buy an engineer mate. Its a horror, as you know.
trying to pull through with nut just stripped thread on mine btw. I still get cold sweats thinking about that damn pinch bolt!!

What is in the Meyle HD kit?

Too late, the top arms were also seized so i chopped them off,hacked at them got them out and some of the bolt.
I drilled half way and the bit snapped inside.so i pun the Sh*t out of it and got it moved about 1mm which took almost all day.so i gave up,and because i cut the top arms i couldnt put it all back so cant lower it to put the wheel on,to undo the driveshaft nut.so i undo the driveshaft.
Hopefully my mate can still get it in the machine to drill it out.
When i do the other side guess what bolt ill undo 1st lol.ill just srtip it down and take it without touching it.and leave the driveshaft behind.
i did really think i could tap it out,but it must have snapped the second i touched it.i got a feeling its bent somehow.

Good side all the knuckles are shot so should ride like new,and lower my b5 perches arrive monday.

In the kit you get all the control arms upper and lower left and right...theres 2 kits one comes with track rods and ARB links and i think the other dont.

And i got mine from All German Cap Parts speak to Jason top Bloke £390 all in whole kit!

Dont be put off its only that bolt.rest of it is easy.
On another note ive noticed on the bottom of the leg that holds the bearing ect.
the arm that you have to drop the front subframe to get that bolt out.
The knuckle has a shim/seat but its stuck on the arm,the other side is still in. do the kit supply new ones?

If you haven't already removed them then make sure you take out the arch liners before using a blow torch on any bolts... I forgot and melted mine :(

Yeah found that one out , just in the nick of time lol
Leg is now free of the pinch bolt,my friend could'nt free it so i took it to a local engineer. messed it up abit.but hope my trusty dremel will sort it.

Looking at it closer taking these pics im pretty peed off

Ross for gods sake don't over tighten the pinch bolt when you put it back in,I think it's only 20nm or something like that. All the heating on the ally will make it brittle and can snap when the bolt is tightened and you will be back to square one!

Reactions: Ro55
Ill overtighten it and if it does they can get me a new one for what they done,good job i never collected it.
Il will source another,currently haggling a rs4 subframe complete ;)

I had the full mhyle hd kit fitted about 18 months ago after getting a slight knock, had it done at awesome gti who are fairly experienced with the pinch bolt and they had a nightmare.

I don't do many miles in mine and my ARB drop links lasted only 12 months and had to be replaced, and I only did 1200 miles in that time!

Ryan

I had the full mhyle hd kit fitted about 18 months ago after getting a slight knock, had it done at awesome gti who are fairly experienced with the pinch bolt and they had a nightmare.

I don't do many miles in mine and my ARB drop links lasted only 12 months and had to be replaced, and I only did 1200 miles in that time!

Ryan
Sounds like somebody tightened them up without the full weight of the car sat on the suspension...even ones made out of swiss cheese should last longer than that

I tightened all mine whilst under load.it does say on the arms.

The place i took the leg for the bolt to be removed i wasnt happy,so ive bought 2 whole units. hopefully they will not use a much heat.i did warn them what i paid and if they wasnt right this time id be looking for reimbursment.

And you dont need to lower the subframe to get the lower bolts out.
trick is to remove the plastic undertrays.ive done the drivers side but not the passengers yet,but dont see it being a problem.