Suspension noise, I'm running out of options.

b6ben

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hopefully someone has been in this situation and can help me out with some suggestions.

I've got a b7 3.0tdi quattro Avant with 145k.

I've got a noise coming from my car when turning either left or right, it's as the weight is transferred. I would describe it as a clunk/knock.

It sounds as if it's coming from the passanger footwell/floor while I'm driving. It doesn't happen under hard acceleration or braking, only while turning.

This problem has been ongoing for a while and I've tried to sort it myself but I'm running out of possible solutions.

Here's what I've already changed. Full control arm kit on the front end including ARB drop links, had both axles off at the same time to do the CV boots while I was there. Both top mounts changed too. Had the brakes on and off a few times and makes no difference. Swapped the wheels around and nothing changed. Ive changed the front wheel bearings a year or two ago way before this started so I know they are good too. Only other thing I have heard of while searching is possibly the subframe mounts?

Any other ideas to sort this would be much appreciated.

Ben.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi guys

Hopefully someone has been in this situation and can help me out with some suggestions.

I've got a b7 3.0tdi quattro Avant with 145k.

I've got a noise coming from my car when turning either left or right, it's as the weight is transferred. I would describe it as a clunk/knock.

It sounds as if it's coming from the passanger footwell/floor while I'm driving. It doesn't happen under hard acceleration or braking, only while turning.

This problem has been ongoing for a while and I've tried to sort it myself but I'm running out of possible solutions.

Here's what I've already changed. Full control arm kit on the front end including ARB drop links. Both top mounts. Had the brakes on and off a few times and makes no difference. Swapped the wheels around and nothing changed. Ive changed the front wheel bearings a year or two ago way before this started so I know they are good too. Only other thing I have heard of while searching is possibly the subframe mounts?

Any other ideas to sort this would be much appreciated.

Ben.

I had a problem with a 3.0 tdi Quattro a few years ago and the actual bush in the leg had come loose put 6 spots of weld on pressed it back in and no other problems I had it to 4 garages and everyone came back with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This problem happened before and after I've done the arms so it can't be linked to them.

Yes Rob, sorry I forgot to mention I had both front axles off to replace the CV boots while I did all the arms a few weeks ago.

* Just edited the original post to include taking the axles off.

Did you have the clunking before removing the half shafts and cv joints?

More to point, did you have the noise before doing any of the work you listed?

More to point, did you have the noise before doing any of the work you listed?
Yes the only thing that was changed before the noise started were both front wheel bearings. They were changed a long time before this noise started though and have been checked since.

Ok then, so that helps narrow things down a fair bit then.
Still possibly CV joints that are worn or worn enough to clunk on turning lock, i know you said you did the boots but did you check the joints themselves for excessive play.
Also as you say it's only when turning that points more towards a pivot point or similar, maybe a steering rack issue , on 145k a lot of parts would be worn.
You've done a good few repairs without success , i'd be looking at getting it off the ground and someone turn the steering whilst another checks both front wheel/suspension setups to see what is occuring.

Are you running original ride height and suspension or modified?

If it can be heard from inside the car then it will most certainly be a lot easier to locate with someone outside listening for it .

Are you running original ride height and suspension or modified?
Stock s line springs on the rear and h&r -45mm front springs so it has equal arch gap front to rear.

We had it off the ground and checked everything we could when we replaced all the front arms but couldn't replicate the noise.

The noise doesn't happen while I'm stationary if I turn full lock, it seems to be more to do with the weight transfer of the car as it doesn't matter how much steering angle I'm using.

I mentioned it to a garage who did the mot last and they said they couldn't find anything.

If it's only when in motion and when you turn full lock then i'd still be looking at CV joints as possible cause .
They are under more load when at full lock than in straight ahead position so any wear will be more apparent at that point.

The problem with any kind of clunking and knocking sounds is that it can seem to be coming from one place but in fact somewhere else .
Do you get it just on one side or both , or maybe it just sounds that way but is coming from somewhere else close by.

CV joint wear etc is more apparent on the B7 quattro's due to the nature of the more basic all wheel drive design in our cars, no fancy electronic switching or diff controls , just good old permanant 4 wheel drive .

If it's only when in motion and when you turn full lock then i'd still be looking at CV joints as possible cause .
They are under more load when at full lock than in straight ahead position so any wear will be more apparent at that point.
No it happens at any steering angle, way before I would get to full lock, its when the weight of the car transfers from one side to the other. It can happen with only slight steering if I'm going around a fast corner.

It's only ever came from the passanger side footwell, as far as I can tell anyway.

Ok, that may discount CV joints then as i assumed it was a full lock issue.
So it is under compression then when body rolls in corners, have you checked all the anti roll bars setups front and rear for bush wear etc, rear springs are prone to snapping the first coil where it sits in the bottom recess, that will make a clunking sound as i've had it myself.
Given the description above it is looking more towards a bush or bushes that are worn or similar .

did you fit new front strut top mounts , they are a known area to fail aswell at higher milage.

Just humour me on this one, did you have the problem before you fitted the 45mm springs to the front s-line damper.

Just humour me on this one, did you have the problem before you fitted the 45mm springs to the front s-line damper.
The car had the h&r springs all-round when I bought it, the rear was sagging so changed them for kyb standard sline springs.

So the cars had the h&r springs on the front since I bought it over 3 years ago.

Changed the ARB drop links when we did the full arm kit too.

I just did the front strut top mounts this weekend, I had convinced myself that was the issue but as soon as I looked at the old ones and they were in good condition I realised they aren't the problem.

To be honest then chap i don't know, by your description of body roll/loading it would suggest a suspension or associated part issue but as you have covered most areas i'd just start over and go through every thing again excluding what you have done.
Given it was there before you started replacing parts maybe look at any part that you didnt replace as the replacement parts made no difference which discounts them from the problem .