Suspension mount replacement S3

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and SJ43
Hi all,

I had the rear suspensions mounts on my S3 saloon replaced with the modified version last week. Wanted to give it a few days before I reported back. Interestingly the tech at the dealership said that he had changed quite a few. I asked him what had been changed on the modified one. He said visually there is absolutely no difference which left him a bit puzzled. I'm just guessing here but I think it may be a material change? Maybe the density or something like that?

Anyway, the results are like night and day. I'm very pleased. The noise has gone and it is a much nicer car to drive. I would recommend anyone who may think they have this issue to get the new part as it makes such a difference.

I found the noise very tiresome on a long journey and to be honest I was getting abit fed up of it so this small change has made all the difference. Happy again!

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm guessing yours is a Saloon ?

Reactions: pburv
Hi, yes that's right.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Hi, yes that's right.

That prob explains why they didn't mention it to SJ43 I think the technical service bulletin is for the saloon only.

Reactions: pburv and SJ43
Do you mind PM'ing me who you spoke to at Coventry Audi? Its only as some staff sometimes know more then others. Cheers :)

Ahh, gotcha Rob. I will give it one last try and let you know how I get on :) I guess I don't really have much to lose lol

Ahh, gotcha Rob. I will give it one last try and let you know how I get on :) I guess I don't really have much to lose lol

Absolutely worth a try mate - doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist on the hatch/Sportback just that they have accepted it on the saloon - it may also tie in to a production run or batch of parts that have issues. Think it's a pretty straight forward job as the shock can remain in situ.

Thats the thing, maybe they recognise it as the same/similar issues but I will let you know how I get on mate.

If not I'll change them and my bearings when I get round to putting on my lowering springs :) did you buy your top mounts & bearings from your local TPS store Rob?

Thats the thing, maybe they recognise it as the same/similar issues but I will let you know how I get on mate.

If not I'll change them and my bearings when I get round to putting on my lowering springs :) did you buy your top mounts & bearings from your local TPS store Rob?

Sounds like a good plan mate.

No I bought them through the Audi parts wizard on here @mjr901 Mike he's a top bloke !

Reactions: SJ43 and pburv
I know shocking mate, but they must have been defected from day one. Common issue, need get mine sorted too. May I ask who your dealer is? Coventry Audi weren't much help and wernt aware of the issue.

Had mine replaced with no hassle from my dealer The Point Llandudno..North Wales.
Improved the ride tenfold ..:friends:

Reactions: Goodfella74
Absolutely worth a try mate - doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist on the hatch/Sportback just that they have accepted it on the saloon - it may also tie in to a production run or batch of parts that have issues. Think it's a pretty straight forward job as the shock can remain in situ.
It's also a technical bulletin for the RS3's with magride..:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68
Sounds like a good plan mate.

No I bought them through the Audi parts wizard on here @mjr901 Mike he's a top bloke !

Cheers! Will have a word if warranty work doesnt go ahead.

Must be the strut mount then rather than the spring mount TSB 2042645/1 ?
Sorry mate I won,t have a clue.I was just repeating what the service manager told me when I had mine done:-S

Hi everyone

New to the site but a proud owner of an S3 Saloon.

Interesting reading this thread as I also had my rear bushes replaced under warranty after experiencing a loud lumping noise from the rear, Norwich Audi we're great and replaced no problems.

However, after 4 months I'm starting to hear the same lumping noise again! Booked into Norwich Audi today but have now been told as I have the upgraded bushes fitted that there is nothing they can do as Audi UK advise this is the characteristic of the car!?!

It's not as bad as before but definitely an audible noise which wasn't there after the last fix was done, apparently now they're 'bedded in' this is just the way they are on the Saloon.

Anyone else had further issues?

Hi everyone

New to the site but a proud owner of an S3 Saloon.

Interesting reading this thread as I also had my rear bushes replaced under warranty after experiencing a loud lumping noise from the rear, Norwich Audi we're great and replaced no problems.

However, after 4 months I'm starting to hear the same lumping noise again! Booked into Norwich Audi today but have now been told as I have the upgraded bushes fitted that there is nothing they can do as Audi UK advise this is the characteristic of the car!?!

It's not as bad as before but definitely an audible noise which wasn't there after the last fix was done, apparently now they're 'bedded in' this is just the way they are on the Saloon.

Anyone else had further issues?
Interesting and somewhat worrying...I haven't experienced anything since mine were done...Will keep an ear out for it though..:salute:

Interesting and somewhat worrying...I haven't experienced anything since mine were done...Will keep an ear out for it though..:salute:

I've raised it with Audi UK so will keep you updated.

Hopefully you won't experience any further issues.

Cheers mate..:friends:
Latest update...

So, even though Audi Norwich agreed there was a noise, although not as loud as it was when the issue first came about, Audi UK have declined any further work as they've already fitted the updated parts, therefore any noise now heard is just a 'characteristic' of the vehicle as the bushes settle in!

Not to happy tbh as although the noise isn't as bad I can still hear a lumping noise over certain uneven roads, does anyone else think the ride in their S3 Saloon is noisy?

Audi UK won't do anything further and I asked if they would agree to replace one more time just to rule out any issues with the previous parts fitted.

What would you guys do?

I'm considering paying myself but does seem pointless if the noise returns after the new bushes have bedded in!

My car is a 2016 with 13k miles, other than this niggle I love the car as an every day vehicle with amazing performance when you fancy a bit of fun.

Shock mounts are on revision 4. The sandwich shock mount separates leading to the noise.

Here in Aussie, if revised mounts are found to fitted they replace the rear shocks.

However, the noise never totally disappears and can return. I suspect that they still haven't got the mounts sorted.

Shock mounts are on revision 4. The sandwich shock mount separates leading to the noise.

Here in Aussie, if revised mounts are found to fitted they replace the rear shocks.

However, the noise never totally disappears and can return. I suspect that they still haven't got the mounts sorted.

Thanks mate, yes it seems they still haven't fully fixed this issue even with the latest updated part.

Reactions: pburv and WarwickL
Latest update...

So, even though Audi Norwich agreed there was a noise, although not as loud as it was when the issue first came about, Audi UK have declined any further work as they've already fitted the updated parts, therefore any noise now heard is just a 'characteristic' of the vehicle as the bushes settle in!

Not to happy tbh as although the noise isn't as bad I can still hear a lumping noise over certain uneven roads, does anyone else think the ride in their S3 Saloon is noisy?

Audi UK won't do anything further and I asked if they would agree to replace one more time just to rule out any issues with the previous parts fitted.

What would you guys do?

I'm considering paying myself but does seem pointless if the noise returns after the new bushes have bedded in!

My car is a 2016 with 13k miles, other than this niggle I love the car as an every day vehicle with amazing performance when you fancy a bit of fun.
It seems to be a standard reply from Audi...I noticed my car has started to 'thud' on the rear when going over speed bumps. I mentioned this to them two days ago and they told me yesterday ''It's a characteristic of the car'' and are unwilling to take it any further...I don't notice it all the time so am willing to put up with it...:friends:

Latest update...

What would you guys do?

One possible route you could take is to fit aftermarket shocks? An expensive route but at least it will sort out the issues...:shrug:

Thanks, like yours it doesn't do it all the time, just over certain uneven surfaces, guess I'll live with it.

So some decent aftermarket shocks should help you think, presume they include better top mounts?

I wouldn't want the ride to be any harder..it's hard enough as I'm sure you know ; )

Any idea how much this would set me back and recommendations of which brand as I've never gone down the aftermarket route before as kept cars stock?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, like yours it doesn't do it all the time, just over certain uneven surfaces, guess I'll live with it.

So some decent aftermarket shocks should help you think, presume they include better top mounts?

I wouldn't want the ride to be any harder..it's hard enough as I'm sure you know ; )

Any idea how much this would set me back and recommendations of which brand as I've never gone down the aftermarket route before as kept cars stock?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't either but what I do know is you can get aftermarket shocks that are more comfortable than standard and also outperform standard...There are plenty of threads on this subject . You could also have a word with Damien @DPM He should be able to give you advise on the best route you want to take with your suspension setup..:friends:

Reactions: Riko0073 and DPM
I haven't either but what I do know is you can get aftermarket shocks that are more comfortable than standard and also outperform standard...There are plenty of threads on this subject . You could also have a word with Damien @DPM He should be able to give you advise on the best route you want to take with your suspension setup..:friends:

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Same issue not long after picking my saloon up. I had the top mounts replaced under warrenty which didnt make a difference or sort the issue. Back to glasgow audi whos in depth technical response was ''yeh the saloon is a noisy car'' and sent on my way. I took it to stirling audi where i got it who were happy to replace both rear shocks to see if it sorted the thud's but unfortunately it didnt. Apparently its down to the adjustable dampers adjusting and is another trait of the car. The thud is more prominent over speed bumps like a double rebound but i do find the saloon to be quite a noisy car especially on uneven road surfaces.

I know a few members have gone down the route of coilovers and have said it reduces the suspension bounce and thudding. Depending on what coilovers you could be looking at about £1200+ including fitting.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Rob2k68 and pburv
Same issue not long after picking my saloon up. I had the top mounts replaced under warrenty which didnt make a difference or sort the issue. Back to glasgow audi whos in depth technical response was ''yeh the saloon is a noisy car'' and sent on my way. I took it to stirling audi where i got it who were happy to replace both rear shocks to see if it sorted the thud's but unfortunately it didnt. Apparently its down to the adjustable dampers adjusting and is another trait of the car. The thud is more prominent over speed bumps like a double rebound but i do find the saloon to be quite a noisy car especially on uneven road surfaces.

I know a few members have gone down the route of coilovers and have said it reduces the suspension bounce and thudding. Depending on what coilovers you could be looking at about £1200+ including fitting.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Will have to live with it and turn up the B&O!!

I hope they've sorted it on the new RS3 Saloon as that's on my shopping list next!!

The new rear shocks fixed the issue in our S3 Saloon

Very quiet overall on the road and the thud and rumbling has gone.

No more suspension other than typical of suspension noise I hear on other cars. Quieter than any car I've owned or driven with low profile tyres.

As I said earlier, mounts are on revision 4 but if they are found to he fitted, the rear shocks are replaced.

If you still get the thud then it's your particular car or crap work by the dealer.

The new rear shocks fixed the issue in our S3 Saloon

Very quiet overall on the road and the thud and rumbling has gone.

No more suspension other than typical of suspension noise I hear on other cars. Quieter than any car I've owned or driven with low profile tyres.

As I said earlier, mounts are on revision 4 but if they are found to he fitted, the rear shocks are replaced.

If you still get the thud then it's your particular car or **** work by the dealer.
So did Audi agree to replace your shocks at the same time as the top mounts/bushes?

I only had my bushes replaced which cured the noise for about 4 months but has returned albeit not as bad as before.

The process is, tech checks to see if revised mounts are fitted. If not, revised mounts fitted.

If revised mounts are already fitted, rear shocks are replaced.

Revision 3 mounts current for some, revision 4 for others. Depends on model and country AFAIK

Audi did shocks on mine under warranty after a 10 minute test drive confirming an issue.

New shocks are way better than previous ones, not just in silencing the thud and rumbling noises of the previous shocks

The process is, tech checks to see if revised mounts are fitted. If not, revised mounts fitted.

If revised mounts are already fitted, rear shocks are replaced.

Revision 3 mounts current for some, revision 4 for others. Depends on model and country AFAIK

Audi did shocks on mine under warranty after a 10 minute test drive confirming an issue.

New shocks are way better than previous ones, not just in silencing the thud and rumbling noises of the previous shocks
Thanks, maybe different in the UK as new shocks were not offered even though Audi confirmed they could hear the thumping after test drive?

Hey guys.. newbie here , been lurking for a while figured I'd join and share my experience at Audi Worthing after complaining about slamming noise particularly from the rear passenger side this is what I got back !

Attachments

• IMG_3273.JPG
    IMG_3273.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
Reactions: Riko0073
I’ve decided to change the rear top mounts myself to try and fix this issue but I don’t know how to get them off, the magride wire is in the way to get through the mount or get a socket off, anyone know if this wire should unscrew?

Attachments

• 72C4AF33-B047-4734-9ED5-C3B524A6B2A6.jpeg
    72C4AF33-B047-4734-9ED5-C3B524A6B2A6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
I had my Saloon checked by Audi too and was told the same thing, it’s a trait of the car.
The car runs great though.